Old 02-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
Wings65288
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Pearl and jawbone, voice activation in holster not working

Please Login to Remove!

anyone know how to get the voice activation to work when the pearl is in the holster? it works when it's OUT of the holster...
Old 02-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

does VAD work when the device is locked out of the holster?
there is an option under bluetooth > options for allow calls - if unlocked, always, etc

Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 02-02-2008 at 10:51 PM..
Old 02-02-2008, 10:56 PM   #3
Wings65288

its set to allow out going calls "always". i can get to as far as it actually making the call, but then it hangs up or something before it starts to ring.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
Blair40

Default Same issue

I have a Jawbon and a Jabba headset and this case BlackBerry 8130 - RIM (OEM) BlackBerry® 8100 Series Lambskin Tote – Pitch Black - HDW-12719-001 - Fommy.com
It works great out of the case but once in it will prompt me for the command I say it it says dailing then nothing? I called verizon for help big waste and now others who have the case and the same headset. I need help my settings are set to allow outgoing calls and not to lock since the case has does it anyhow. Any help please? my 8130 is great but I hate that verizon seems to have things locked is this another feature they deemed as a security risk or just a setting not right?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Verizon

This is a known issue w/the 4.3.0.60 OS release with the Verizon Pearl. Update to any later Pearl 8130 OS (Telus, Sprint, Alltel, or US Cellular) and the problem will go away.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
Blair40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
This is a known issue w/the 4.3.0.60 OS release with the Verizon Pearl. Update to any later Pearl 8130 OS (Telus, Sprint, Alltel, or US Cellular) and the problem will go away.
Thanks if someone could tell me how to change to another OS that will fix this I would appreciate it.
I am a new owner of a blackberry and not sure about how to do this. Also does this change the other update that Verizon has in the phone? If so how do I get around this? PM or replay please and thanks again this has been driving me nuts since verizon kept saying it was not aware of any issues like this.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:56 PM   #7
Blair40

Thanks just updated and it works like a charm.
I really appreciate it

Last edited by Blair40; 02-05-2008 at 01:31 PM..
Old 02-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #8
elcahall

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair40 View Post
Thanks if someone could tell me how to change to another OS that will fix this I would appreciate it.
I am a new owner of a blackberry and not sure about how to do this. Also does this change the other update that Verizon has in the phone? If so how do I get around this? PM or replay please and thanks again this has been driving me nuts since verizon kept saying it was not aware of any issues like this.
I'm a new BB Pearl user and new to the forum as well, and my Pearl does the exact same thing. After spending an hour on the phone with BB support this evening I can assure you that Verizon IS aware of the problem. I was told by the gentleman that I spoke with in BB's bluetooth connectivity support area that they receive a large number of calls about this problem and have told VZ about this bug, he even sounded a bit frustrated that VZ hasn't fix it yet. He also told me that an upgrade will be coming that will fix it but as hard as I pressed him for a date he wasn't able to tell me, all he was able to do was to suggest I keep checking VZ'z BB update site... htt_p://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/download.aspx?ct=personal.

I plan on calling VZ tech support during business hours tomorrow and trying to work my way up to a higher level person in the dept who might possibly be able to give me an answer. IMHO it's totally unacceptable that VZ continues to promote the Pearl while it has this problem and that their tech support people, at the level that the users typically get to talk to, aren't advised of the problem (none of the techs in the store or the phone were aware if it), or if they are aware of it they aren't allowed to admit it or tell when it will be fixed.

This isn't the first thread I've read about this. I don't think I should have to jump through hoops to use another providers' software (no matter how easy it may be) to fix a problem VZ should be addressing! Perhaps if everyone who's having this problem would call VZ and raise a stink we could get a fix or at least some answers.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
jseah
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 30496979

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcahall View Post
I'm a new BB Pearl user and new to the forum as well, and my Pearl does the exact same thing. After spending an hour on the phone with BB support this evening I can assure you that Verizon IS aware of the problem. I was told by the gentleman that I spoke with in BB's bluetooth connectivity support area that they receive a large number of calls about this problem and have told VZ about this bug, he even sounded a bit frustrated that VZ hasn't fix it yet. He also told me that an upgrade will be coming that will fix it but as hard as I pressed him for a date he wasn't able to tell me, all he was able to do was to suggest I keep checking VZ'z BB update site... htt_p://vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry/download.aspx?ct=personal.

I plan on calling VZ tech support during business hours tomorrow and trying to work my way up to a higher level person in the dept who might possibly be able to give me an answer. IMHO it's totally unacceptable that VZ continues to promote the Pearl while it has this problem and that their tech support people, at the level that the users typically get to talk to, aren't advised of the problem (none of the techs in the store or the phone were aware if it), or if they are aware of it they aren't allowed to admit it or tell when it will be fixed.

This isn't the first thread I've read about this. I don't think I should have to jump through hoops to use another providers' software (no matter how easy it may be) to fix a problem VZ should be addressing! Perhaps if everyone who's having this problem would call VZ and raise a stink we could get a fix or at least some answers.
You don't have to wait for Verizon to release a fix. You can simply install any of the other providers' OS (Verizon's version of the OS is the oldest version of the OS for the 8130).

.60 = Verizon
.65 = Telus
.71 = Sprint
.81 = Alltel
.97 = US Cellular

The bluetooth problem was fixed in version .65 forward.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:56 PM   #10
brianjking

Question Implications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseah View Post
You don't have to wait for Verizon to release a fix. You can simply install any of the other providers' OS (Verizon's version of the OS is the oldest version of the OS for the 8130).

.60 = Verizon
.65 = Telus
.71 = Sprint
.81 = Alltel
.97 = US Cellular

The bluetooth problem was fixed in version .65 forward.
What are the implications of this though? Will the phone still function properly? Isn't there carrier specific software that is loaded? Such as if you get an unlocked phone for a GSM provider that is only in Europe (assuming you live in the USA) you can't utilize your carriers proprietary software despite that your device software should handle it.

Thank you, cheers. If this is all safe & good for my device please PM me instructions on where to obtain this update (and if there is a "best version" ) and preferably let me know if I can install this through PocketMac software.

Cheers, thanks so much!
Old 02-22-2008, 04:22 PM   #11
jseah

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjking View Post
What are the implications of this though? Will the phone still function properly? Isn't there carrier specific software that is loaded? Such as if you get an unlocked phone for a GSM provider that is only in Europe (assuming you live in the USA) you can't utilize your carriers proprietary software despite that your device software should handle it.

Thank you, cheers. If this is all safe & good for my device please PM me instructions on where to obtain this update (and if there is a "best version" ) and preferably let me know if I can install this through PocketMac software.

Cheers, thanks so much!
The carrier specific stuff is embedded in the firmware which you don't access. In fact, the OS updates you can download (regardless of which carrier releases it) includes files for every single carrier.....both US and European...both GSM and CDMA. You do want to make sure that you download the OS for the 8130, and not the 8100.

Last edited by jseah; 02-22-2008 at 04:23 PM..
Old 02-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #12
Jenks Woodman

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT

sorry, i got to ask. what is meant by in the holster and out of holster?
Old 02-22-2008, 05:31 PM   #13
jseah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenks Woodman View Post
sorry, i got to ask. what is meant by in the holster and out of holster?
When it is in the carrying case versus outside of the case. The carrying cases for Blackberry's have a magnet inside it which will cause the phone to switch to standby mode when you put it in the case.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #14
brianjking

Question where do i get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseah View Post
The carrier specific stuff is embedded in the firmware which you don't access. In fact, the OS updates you can download (regardless of which carrier releases it) includes files for every single carrier.....both US and European...both GSM and CDMA. You do want to make sure that you download the OS for the 8130, and not the 8100.

* Where can I get it? (direct link possibly?) I have an 8130 from Verizon
* Can I install through PocketMac?
* Will it format my data that is currently on the device?

Thank you.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:06 PM   #15
Wings65288

so i've got verizon, would it still be smart to upgrade to .97 = US Cellular Operating System?
Closed Thread