Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 07:17 PM   #1
slimjimh1

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Unhappy Microsoft Outlook Contacts Sync Problem

Please Login to Remove!

I tried to sync my dad's blackberry storm2 with his Microsoft Outlook contacts list so that all of them would show up on his phone. I synced it originally through the desktop manager and then turned wireless sync back on and when I looked at the contacts on his phone, there were many duplicates and then I realized that many of the contacts has switched numbers and its all messed up. If I were to call the number, a different name would show up. So I deleted all the contacts through the desktop manager and then tried again through the wireless sync and when it loaded all the contacts, the same issue happened in the address book. His Microsoft Outlook contacts aren't messed up, so I'm very puzzled. Does anyone know what I could do to fix this problem and load the contacts so they aren't messed up and duplicated and switched up?

Thanks so much!!
Old 06-26-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

What is the wireless sync, syncing with?
Google?

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 06-27-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask

Do people REALLY still use Outlook.....yawn.

Bro, Hotmail, Yahoo, and Google have healthy alternatives that have integrate so much into the package without having to use the antiquated Outlook platform.

I am partial to Google mail, but I must concede that Yahoo has put together a nice package these days as well.

Try the FREE alternatives. They do mail better.

Verizon 9530
Old 06-27-2010, 06:41 AM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Do companies (real ones) really use GOOGLE for their e-mail?

Really, how many large corporations have switched to Hotmail, Yahoo and Google. Get real.

Google? REALLY? For the consumer MAYBE, for the enterprise, No.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #5
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post

Bro, Hotmail, Yahoo, and Google have healthy alternatives that have integrate so much into the package without having to use the antiquated Outlook platform.

I am partial to Google mail, but I must concede that Yahoo has put together a nice package these days as well.

Absolutely still use Outlook and plan to continue doing so. My main personal email is Yahoo Plus but I also have gmail and Hotmail accounts. Different people use email differently. If you don't like Outlook, no one will force you to use it.

Outlook is an email client. It is not an alternative and does not replace your email service which is what Yahoo, gmail, Hotmail, or some other service.

While most of these allow you to keep your email on the web and have a totally web based experience, some of us like to use clients and manage our email on the computer.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:42 AM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

And web services fall down where you are in locations with sporadic, or low speed, high latency service providers. Not everyone has high speed Internet available. So locally available services are far more important that web based interfaces.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
TXLady

Yep. And I forgot the part about being able to download all the email to the computer, sign off, read while off-line, compose replies, sign back on, and upload the replies. Very important where internet is dicey or having to pay for use. (Good example is while on a cruise. Internet rates are $0.75/minute and verrrry slow. Or you could get cheaper rates by buying packages which reduce the rates to as low as $0.40/minute but doesn't make it any faster.)
Old 06-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
scassel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: VZW US

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post

We are all aware that XelhaBB is jumping to a Droid. Evidently, he has chosen to go out on a bad note by provide sub par advice. He has done so in numerous other threads as well. To each his own.

Back to the question at hand, what is the OP hoping to wirelessly sync with? Unless the user is on BES, the options are limited.

slimjimh1 - We need more information to help you.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #9
slimjimh1

Model: 9550

He's on BES
Old 07-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #10
scassel

A couple of questions.. Connecting a device that is provisioned on a BES to a PC with DM can be tricky and is typically looked down upon by the BES Admin.

Let's also clarify that BES is Blackberry Enterprise Server and is typically used in a business environment. BIS is Blackberry Internet Service and is used to associate a handheld to any number of e-mail accounts such as Yahoo, Hotmail and G-Mail.

Has the BES Admin been contacted? They should be able to help. This should always be the first step with a handheld on a BES.

Was DM installed with the BES option and not the BIS option?

Does the PC that DM was installed on reside on the same network as the BES?

How many contacts are we talking about? If it is not that many, I would suggest turning off wireless reconcile, remove the contacts from the handheld (not through DM) and then turn the wireless back on.

If the device is connected to a BES, it sounds as if the DM was installed incorrectly and the handheld is "confused" about where it should be looking for information.
Old 07-03-2010, 03:44 AM   #11
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Outlook.......really?

It's 2010 baby!

Verizon 9530
Old 07-03-2010, 03:46 AM   #12
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

I used Outlook, then Entourage.

But life became simple with Gmail. If you aren't on Gmail you are pretty much in the stone age.

Verizon 9530
Old 07-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #13
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Once again, XelhaBB and his Google led mind are here to grace us with his wisdom.

- use Verizon
- of you don't use Google, you are pretty much in the stone age

Right.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:11 AM   #14
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Do companies (real ones) really use GOOGLE for their e-mail?

Really, how many large corporations have switched to Hotmail, Yahoo and Google. Get real.

Google? REALLY? For the consumer MAYBE, for the enterprise, No.
Well NJ Blackberry, let me help you stand corrected.

The City of Orlando transitioned to GOOGLE last year for email and many other associated services (calendar, doc hosting, etc). Silly rabbit. I just got REAL on you.

Why would a large entity do that instead of using Microsoft Outlook or Lotus Notes? Simple! GOOGLE is more reliable (I can say from experience) and you can have the same services AND more for a FRACTION of the cost. I am also willing to bet there are far more threads in here with people having Outlook sync issues than those with GOOGLE sync issues. Outlook is Microsoft and that equates to conflicts, routine updates and patches, and hiring IT personnel just to get the software to work as advertised. Really?

An employee in my agency can come online with GOOGLE in minutes with email, calendar, etc - this includes syncing those services to a Blackberry phone OTA. Minutes. With GOOGLE sync in the Blackberry, the employee can update his or her contacts daily and transfer them into a new phone if the old phone is damaged or lost. Again OTA (no cables necessary). Do that with your beloved Outlook, the complete PITA that it is.

I bring to light this wonderful economy we are facing. If a new business came online, why would you NOT go GOOGLE? If you went Outlook, lets just start off with the server costs as well as the cost of a software license for each individual email account. This translates to thousands of dollars just to get up and running. In this aspect with GOOGLE, you pay $0. Now with GOOGLE you will pay a couple thousand for configuration/administration labor and premier apps costs, but this would be a mere fraction of what you would pay for Microsoft equivalencies. I mean even as an individual at home I would have to pay for Outlook software and I would still need to link it to an internet email account. Why not just pay NOTHING and open a GMAIL account, sync it to my phone, and get a plethora of services for absolutely free?!? I mean are we REALLY having this argument?

NJBlackberry, its all about embracing change rather than having yourself dragged into modernity....kicking and moaning. It seems retirement has caused you to become closed off from the realities of the modern work force. As an individual, you have chosen to relegate yourself to the stone ages, continually tossing money at overpriced Microsoft products with the rest of the discontented lemmings. Evidently you have done so because you are familiar with the product and its many flaws, but you choose to live with them because the alternative means having to pick up a new bag and wander from your comfort zone. That's sad actually because generally when you have given up on exploring alternatives you are merely waiting around to die.

I chose Verizon as a carrier because of one reason. It has the best coverage I have experienced, both locally and when I travel. I have had Sprint/Nextel and AT&T and experienced bad coverage. I was with GOOGLE before my employer transitioned to them. I have had experience with Outlook and Lotus Notes and they simply aren't on the same level as GOOGLE services when it comes to ease, efficiency and portability. There simply is NO competition. I would urge you to try it as I know you would amend your stance substantially if you did.

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 07-05-2010 at 04:53 AM..
Old 07-05-2010, 04:40 AM   #15
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

XelhaBB, while what you're saying maybe true; it doesn't help with the OP's original question.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-05-2010, 06:10 AM   #16
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scassel View Post
We are all aware that XelhaBB is jumping to a Droid. Evidently, he has chosen to go out on a bad note by provide sub par advice. He has done so in numerous other threads as well. To each his own.

Back to the question at hand, what is the OP hoping to wirelessly sync with? Unless the user is on BES, the options are limited.

slimjimh1 - We need more information to help you.
Scassel, I challenged you earlier to provide competent evidence the Storm 9550 was a better phone than the Droid X and you elected to take the fifth. I'll give you a C+ for your transparent attempts to divert focus with your praise of basic Blackberry services (an aspect of this matter with which I concur) but as to the specificity of Droid X vs Storm 9550 there still has been nothing but the sound of chirping crickets on your end.

As far as "bad advice" goes. If given the choice between Outlook and say Yahoo or Google. I challenge you again specifically. Do people in this forum complain more about syncing directly with Google or with a go-between client like Outlook?

On the civil side, lets be real. Going back, internet email services were rather fundamental. This is why I think NJBlackberry clings to Outlook so fiercely (or he is just disagreeing with me to be antagonistic as he is with everyone). What most don't realize is that internet email services have come a long way. They have developed to the extent that is has become unnecessary to add a client like Outlook as a go between. It's simply an unnecessary expense.

You won't argue with me in this aspect, because obviously you can't. Advising someone to take the easier, less troublesome route is not bad advice my friend. As I mentioned earlier, look at the threads and see who is having more issues and its rife with Outlook complaints. Telling someone life is easier without Outlook is not "subpar" advice, its the truth.

The only issue I ever had with Gmail and my Storm was on the BIS side. I had to go create a filter there to prevent BIS from delivering duplicate copies of my emails to my phone. Otherwise, I have a healthy address book synced with Gmail, which includes my phone contacts. I host docs, audio files, which I share regularly and run a calendar on Gmail. For the past couple years this has cost me right around $0.

So, you would tell someone to spend $100+ for Outlook and take on the associated challenges of syncing with their Blackberry in lieu of going the free route with far less hassle? Who is giving the bad advice here?!?

Additionally, I would never given someone advice on here that hasn't served me well. That you would post that I have given bad advice before demands an example or two OR a bit of adult conduct on your end. I have never posted anything misleading or an action that I didn't perform on my own device that provided positive results. Additionally, there are a lot of people in this forum who from the outset trashed the 9530. I have never done that. I've posted my findings honestly.

Yes I am jumping to a Droid. Why? I can evidently see its better than the Storm 9550 in many aspects. You know this because you shy away from telling me otherwise. I've operated my Storm 9530 for almost 2 years now and as always, I am trying something new. Did you know even the USMC transitions to different shouldered weapons every so often? Does this make you cry as well? I slept many a night with my M16A2, qualified expert marksman with it but that doesn't mean I wouldn't delight in trading it out for a newer, different model and endeavoring to become proficient with it as well.

I get it now that you enjoy carrying water for old man NJBlackberry but lets try to keep it honest in here without relegating it to personal attacks.

Verizon 9530
Old 07-05-2010, 06:36 AM   #17
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
XelhaBB, while what you're saying maybe true; it doesn't help with the OP's original question.
Very true. But neither did what NJBlackberry said either.

Quite Frankly, it surprises me that someone made him a moderator. I have yet to see him actually provide competent advice in any of the threads. I am not joking or exaggerating either. The guy is a total malcontent. For the past year all he does is come into threads to disagree with people or antagonize them. The guy has yet to ever say something constructive without taking a pop at someone.

Someone needs a moderator for the moderator...LOL

Verizon 9530
Old 07-05-2010, 07:37 AM   #18
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

So now we ascertained that you work for a government agency, which explains a lot about anyone who would use Google. Well, good luck. I'm sure this example (and thank you for providing it) will be followed by tens of other agencies. Like the city in Germany that switched over to Linux, striking fear in the heart of Microsoft.

My specific posting said "large corporations" not taxpayer funded government agencies.

Perhaps you should "Google" the word RETIRED. Try and figure out what I am referring to. Perhaps GMail can help.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #19
TXLady

I have finally decided to start using the ignore list function here. I've resisted using it for a long time but finally, someone worthy of it.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:39 AM   #20
scassel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLady View Post
I have finally decided to start using the ignore list function here. I've resisted using it for a long time but finally, someone worthy of it.
I'll second that motion.