Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
sowhynot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default How to deal with TMo Customer Service

Please Login to Remove!

I have been unable to get data coverage at my office since last Wednesday (4/30). I get only GSM coverage. However, when I leave my office and go outside the radius of the cell tower covering my office I get EDGE and I'm fine. So...it's not my phone, it's the network

TMo filed a trouble ticket (after multiple hours on the phone) on 4/30. 5/1 - still no data service and no call from TMo. So, I call back. After multiple hoops I'm put in touch with an alleged Tier 3 support. He tells me that, yes, it appears to be a problem with the tower and it will take between 48 hours and 5 days to fix.

Today is day 5. It's still not fixed.

Called back to TMo and even though I have the name of the person with whom I last spoke, they refuse to put me in touch with that person (who told me to call if I was still having problems). I'm now told it can be 14 days to fix.

I'm not happy and I'm most unhappy with the multiple answers I'm getting and the refusal to allow me to speak with a technician.

I tried the "I'm really close to closing my account" line and the person told me he could transfer me to that department to close my phone. Nice.

Anyone have any magic formula on how to get in touch with someone who can at least give me a reasonable ETA?
Old 05-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
l3lueMage

Model: 8330
PIN: 31A485CF
Carrier: Sprint

T-Mobile sucks, they have business around the world why would they fix a tower just for one person?

Eh switch carriers, if you are I recommend Sprint.. I pay $99 and get unlimited everything haha
Old 05-05-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
udontknowjack
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

If you are only talking about one line that doesn't work in one building, I would be surprised if they would fix it in14 days. It would not be a big concern to them. I know it is to you but there are many varialbes and it costs them lots of money to figure it out. I had the same situation at my building with Sprint, The problem was we just happened to be sitting right in the center of 3 towers and our devices were fighting over what tower to connect to so they connected to none and people would have no coverage. We are a big Sprint customer and it took them a long time and many phone calls and face to face meetings as well as n engineer on site with equipment to measure the signal before anything was done.
Either swich carriers or be patient.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (what does it matter?)

If it is an issue with the tower odds are they will fix it! Reps in call centers only report the issue engineering determines the priority assigned and when it get fixed. Could be the need to order a part not all parts are kept on hand as some fail more often than others
Old 05-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
somebody7
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700

I had this same issue with where I live. This one day, suddenly, I only had GSM within a 1 block radius of where I live and everywhere else I went I got Edge. I was so irritated and they actually closed the first ticket I had opened. I called back and asked to speak to a supervisor. I live in downtown Austin,tx so this was totally unacceptable. Anyways, after speaking to a supervisor, I asked that they have an engineer check the coverage area and I gave them the closest major intersection. The next day it was fixed (the engineer called me and made sure it was working). You just have to make a big ruckus (like pretty much any other corporation) to get the attention and your issue resoved.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
strike2tamu
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A

Wirelessly posted

Lol at the sprint recommendation. The issue is customer service and sprint has a negative amount. Must be an area thing but tmo is the best as far as customer service in most major cities.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #7
l3lueMage

Lol haha, XD Anyways I've always known how to deal with customer service, heres what you got to do

User IQ Must be 110+
Customer service IQ averages around 80

Psychologically trick them into what you need, corner them into what you need, do whatever possible, trust me its really easy to get these guys to do what you want if you know what you're doing!
Old 05-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #8
tprime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowhynot View Post
I have been unable to get data coverage at my office since last Wednesday (4/30). I get only GSM coverage. However, when I leave my office and go outside the radius of the cell tower covering my office I get EDGE and I'm fine. So...it's not my phone, it's the network

TMo filed a trouble ticket (after multiple hours on the phone) on 4/30. 5/1 - still no data service and no call from TMo. So, I call back. After multiple hoops I'm put in touch with an alleged Tier 3 support. He tells me that, yes, it appears to be a problem with the tower and it will take between 48 hours and 5 days to fix.

Today is day 5. It's still not fixed.

Called back to TMo and even though I have the name of the person with whom I last spoke, they refuse to put me in touch with that person (who told me to call if I was still having problems). I'm now told it can be 14 days to fix.

I'm not happy and I'm most unhappy with the multiple answers I'm getting and the refusal to allow me to speak with a technician.

I tried the "I'm really close to closing my account" line and the person told me he could transfer me to that department to close my phone. Nice.

Anyone have any magic formula on how to get in touch with someone who can at least give me a reasonable ETA?
Chances are the first rep incorrectly told you 5 days to fix to problem.
Sometimes the reps may sound sincere but unfortunately they may not know what they are talking about. Even if they connected you to that rep he's in some call site nowhere near the problem. I've had issues before and if they have to send people in the field to correct the issue meaning they cant do it from an offfice someplace it may take some time.
I recommend patience. Switching carriers will only be a temporary fix. That is until your new carrier experiences tower/network issues and you have to wait for them to troubleshoot and repair it.

Even threathening to close your account is not a big deal to them. They are not going to dash over to your local tower to keep you under contract. Sometimes you just have to wait.

Last edited by tprime; 05-05-2008 at 08:13 PM..
Old 05-05-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
l3lueMage

True plus if you switch carriers u gotta pay activation fee and all that.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #10
strike2tamu
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900

Wirelessly posted

Lol at the sprint recommendation. The issue is customer service and sprint has a negative amount. Must be an area thing but tmo is the best as far as customer service in most major cities.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:41 AM   #11
sowhynot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by udontknowjack View Post
If you are only talking about one line that doesn't work in one building, I would be surprised if they would fix it in14 days. It would not be a big concern to them. I.
It's not just a building - it's an area - and it worked perfectly up until last Wednesday.

I agree about the patience. That's not the issue. What I'm mainly complaining about is the varying degrees of competence and the ever changing stories. You know as a customer I'm OK with someone telling me it's broken. We don't have the part on hand. That happens. But keep me updated and don't lie to me when I call.

I also agree about the hollow threat of cancelling my account. They don't give a rip, even though I've been with them 5 years. All carriers have issues, but I'm going to seriously consider a change. I'm not currently under a contract and my 8100 is unlocked.

However, I would like like to know HOW to get in touch with someone who will give me a straight answer on the progress of fixing the tower issue. Anyone?

Last edited by sowhynot; 05-06-2008 at 12:42 AM..
Old 05-06-2008, 06:32 AM   #12
dshearon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ask for a direct number next time you talk to someone on tier 3. They will have one. You could also ask for an e-mail address.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:52 PM   #13
sowhynot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshearon View Post
Ask for a direct number next time you talk to someone on tier 3. They will have one. You could also ask for an e-mail address.
I asked for both - and I was told they couldn't give out either one.

The good news (even though I've yet to be contacted by TMo) is they seem to have finally fixed the tower problem. I have EDGE today.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #14
sirchip
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T Mobile

yea i had that problem while at home (where it was going to gsm) but all is good now
Old 05-07-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
Shorteh

With ANY and I mean ANY call center, right off the bat, ask for his/her supervisor. When and if they ask you whats wrong, tell them you need a supervisor, no other questions should be asked. Once a customer asks for the supervisor, they by law, have to trans you to the supervisor. Make sure you get Reps ID number and name. Tell them whats going on. Personally, I like to put Tmo supervisors on edge and tell them, "Well I could go to Sprint (or any other company) and get great service everywhere." They tend to tell you that they are working on towers in that area or that they will put a ticket in for you. Ask for the ticket number and a phone number you can call and find out whats being done to resolve it. And if none of that works (which it should, I use it everytime I call!), you want a name and number for the CEO. That will make them pee their pants.
This by the way, is experience in calling CS and working in one for 5yrs. Believe me, tier1, 2 & 3 reps don't give a flip about anything besides when their next break is! Good luck!
Old 05-08-2008, 12:40 AM   #16
BlackBearME

Model: 8320

CS is CS no matter what industry we're talking about. Dealing with people over the phone, trying to deal with something you can't see and might not have any clue about. Mediocre pay to have people yell at you all day long. Be nice as long as you can, then get firm (yelling won't help, usually) and just keep pushing it up the line until you get someone who has a clue. Yelling at the person who doesn't have a clue won't make them get a clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorteh View Post
Once a customer asks for the supervisor, they by law, have to trans you to the supervisor.
I call shenanigans. I've read a great many laws in this state and I've never seen one that says this. It may be company policy, but law? I would have to see a citation on that.

As for the best way to escalate an issue with CS (at least TMo)...I'll get back to you on that one.
Old 06-04-2008, 08:24 AM   #17
Mack67

PIN: 24341FD9
Cool Its too easy, in the hardest way

I shouldn't add my 2 cents in on this one, but oh well...

I, by traditional means, have been educated in computers and networking. When first working in said field, you do grunt work, either lifting computers to peoples desks, or by answering phones in a call center. I did the later, and boy did I hate it.

My call center worked on two principals. Get them off the phone quickly with a ticket logging the call and secondly do not cuss. Lying was implied as a bad thing but was not punished.

Complaints in a call center are quite the norm, and even if you’re Mother Teresa you will get a complaint or 2000. Either you didn’t do enough, or you were giving them an attitude or you just didn’t help at all. Here in California, there is, to my knowledge, no law did I ever have to transfer them to a supervisor; whom was usually in their respective office reporting our stats to the higher ups. More calls in and processed means we get to keep jobs around less calls, less people and well the economy goes boom.

Human psychology is the greatest weapon that anyone has ever made. Make them sympathize with you, have them believe that you are trying to get this “damn thing” to work, say sorry for cussing, get them on your side. If you are all fire and brimstone, you will get coal for Christmas. I have called TMo customer service, hit them with a bit of the jargon, and next thing you know I’m getting discounts and the whole 9. There is a book, available Amazon.com: The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security: Kevin D. Mitnick, William L. Simon, Steve Wozniak: Books. Yes its about computer networks and how it all really relies on humans, but the social engineering theory holds, act and speak like you know whats going on, you will always get better results.

Never threaten or give ultimatums. When someone would tell me an ultimatum “I’ll have your job!” or the classic “I’ll get you fired!” I knew they had nothing on me, and I wouldn’t get fired at all. Both threats and ultimatums are for weak people. Show in other ways your strength, ex: “Man, my company has me deciding who to go with for our carrier, I really like TMo, but it’s hard for just me to get service! Imagine the CEO!” True, to TMo as a whole organization it’s a drop in the bucket, but to the schmo that you’re on the phone with, you’re turning into a puppet.

Last edited by Mack67; 06-04-2008 at 08:27 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 06-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #18
Mack67

PIN: 24341FD9
Wink

Whats that you say? A more personal and personable book?! Well kiddies you are in luck, good ol' mack is well read in many many books (Iraq gives plenty of time) so read this one for a more personal, and personable look at things dealing with other people. Amazon.com: The Game: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pickup Artists: Neil Strauss: Books
Old 06-04-2008, 10:06 AM   #19
rickylix

Carrier: t-mobile

this is a very interesting thread to me. As I have Tmo and have had to deal with them on 2 occasions. Also, I am a Repair Supervisor for a rather large CLEC telecommunications company.
First, I am in Florida and there is no law to state if someone asks for a sup, they have to be transferred. If that was the case, I would change my position to manager and call my reps supervisors. Typically, when a customer wants a supervisor it is for a chronic issue or they are just upset and frustrated and feel supervisor can "solve all the problems"..many times this is true and most cases, it is not.
Mack67 brings up some awesome points! and this is bascially how we work as well;
"My call center worked on two principals. Get them off the phone quickly with a ticket logging the call and secondly do not cuss."
Every call is recorded as well..
Anyway, with T-mobile, twice I have run circles around the techs. First, i basically had to prove to them that the first phone i received had a hardware problem. At the end of that conversation, he said I should work for TMO because I said things that even he wouldnt have tried to correct the issue. Second, I had a static/echo issue..after repeated calls and tries by the techs, the final result was "send back your phone and we will replace it"..well, i tried a few more things and found my wired headset microphone was having issues..plugged my bluetooth in and no more static/echo..
They dont think outside the box at all and that does worry me. Afaik, every phone company has what is called "churn"..and small residential/1 line customers only mean so much to the "big boys" and wont affect the churn percentage. I can attest to this as, with TMO and Sprint..when my contracts ran out, they could care less about giving me anything to stay with their respective businesses. So if your issue gets fixed..consider yourself very lucky..
Old 06-05-2008, 10:32 PM   #20
aj_0610

Model: 8120
Carrier: t-mobile

I have to say especially from a recent mistake on T-mobile's end their customer service is a mess! they mad a huge mistake and put me out 240.00 and did not want to do anything about it. The people were friendly, that was not the problem. The problem was what they were or were not allowed to do. They told me they usually would do nothing but for me they will give me a 100 dollar credit to my account. So you put me out 240.00 and your only willing to give me 100.00 back? that blows my mind!! In customer service if you make a mistake you do what you can to correct the situation, not to say we usually dont do anything, that is so horrible to think it is ok to do nothing!!!!. I am so sick of it and i am ready for this company to appreciate their customers. I work in customer service and i try to appreciate everyone i work with, so it drives me crazy when such a big company cannot care about the people who are keeping them alive and wealthy.......
Closed Thread