BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 03-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #1461
Iare Tosevite
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

*cough* I meant I posted pictures zip file at "Get your pictures here!" pinned thread in this subforum.. sorry guys who looked for it here...
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:41 PM   #1462
alexanderblake
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: 24129C9B
Carrier: T-Mobile

This is so ACE. Thank you so very much. My TMO Pearl crapped out, and I just unlocked this At&T Pearl this morning. Now I'll have the TMO Zen theme I love so much, no VAD, and no PTT.

You are THE man!
Old 04-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #1463
Kittyvamp1884

Model: 9700
PIN: 217FF76D
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Thanks

Just wanted to drop you a quick thanks from some of my co-works here in T-Mobile Blackberry tech support... I used your guide a while back and loved it. (never did get on here and drop you a thank you... so thanks a year late!!)

Well since the launch of BB app world (which is 523k before you play with downloading fun stuffs) most of my co-workers were making strange noises from there little cubicles watching all their texts go bye bye... and although we get phone calls on this issue 100 times a night... every night... hehe... they was an almost collective loss around the pod as to what to get rid of...

I managed to get almost everybody up over 20mb even with all our junk on the devices... and was asked to give you a collective thanks.

only wish i could get myself up there... but I never sit quite so high due to my somewhat pathological need to constantly download junk onto my phone... what can i say i love pandora and shazam and all of that stuff... and 16mb is more then enough for me

i only wish we could use your guide on our calls... although i don't want to think of the scary things that would happen then...

thanks again

T-Mobile Blackberry PDA Support III
Old 04-03-2009, 09:01 AM   #1464
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

If you at least tell callers why their text messages disappear I'll be happy. I've seen too many people come here after talking to tech support and having their devices exchanged under warranty and then having the same problem.

There is a more permanent fix, though, and maybe you can use this on your calls: the new Curve 8900. I don't even bother with this anymore since I have tons of apps and still over 100MB free.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #1465
Kittyvamp1884

PIN: 217FF76D
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

not to worry i do... take people through the database sizes and show them what is taking up the space and everything... hehe...

and no one should be getting exchanges for it... it specifically says "do not process a handset exchange" in the systems for the issue if they look... sounds like they didn't take the 2 seconds to do a search and deal with the issue... that's kinda crazy and I'm sorry...

it costs T-Mobile $150 for every exchange that comes back "no trouble found" which means there wasn't an issue after either data wipe or app loader... if people are doing those exchanges... they may very well lose there job...

eek... but once again thanks so much... enjoy that 8900... I'm eligible for my upgrade later this month.... yay!... and you're defiantly right the new processor and the on board storage capacity for that phone are amazing... been working on the puddle on the floor here since i first saw it... hehe

thanks again

oh and just a tip for anyone calling tech support... when you call late at night (after 2:00 am EST) you don't get any trainees... and although there aren't as many of of working the phones... we've been there forever... so if you are having bad luck with reps... give us a try late at night... we need something to do anyways... ta ta

T-Mobile Blackberry PDA Support III
Old 04-03-2009, 05:56 PM   #1466
bricenojr

Model: 8120

Is there an easier, shorter way??
Old 04-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #1467
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

There's MaxMem. I prefer this way because you can see exactly what you're removing.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #1468
m.brian

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT/Cingular
Default Bold 9000 java .cod question

Can anyone tell me if it is safe to remove these files from the java folder?
They are pretty big and they are similar to the wallpaper .cod that John Clark recommends removing.

net_rim_bb_medialoader_backgrounds_480x320_b.cod (6,698 KB)
net_rim_bb_medialoader_music_480x320_b.cod (2,654 KB)
net_rim_bb_medialoader_sonic_networks_high.cod (2,483 KB)
net_rim_bb_medialoader_sonic_networks_high_2.cod (2,877 KB)

Thanks,
Brian
Old 04-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #1469
JGrauman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default Dimension "L" theme

Won't work with out dimension zen theme. trial by fire, but you can delete the other two dimension themes, just keep zen if you want to use L. I also removed "help" and "password keeper" I'm up to 16mb from 12mb with over 4000 txts. on 4.2 i was running at 21mb free. docs to go is the only other extra app i have.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:00 AM   #1470
lady_dynam1te

Model: 8300
Carrier: rogers

wow thanks for all the info

Do you happen to know the module for 8220 preloaded ringtones? Im with rogers... if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-10-2009, 03:21 AM   #1471
jbum
Thumbs Must Hurt

I followed this process and saw the total required for just the 4.5 OS Core system/app files. It was around 35MB for those two thing alone.

I have the following apps installed and I only have 5-6MB of free space only. Would you say that I have too many files or is something else hogging up my memory?

AIM
amAze
BofA mobile app
BB App World
Bloomberg
Documents to go
ESPN Mobile Web
Etrade
FlyCast
Google Maps
Google Talk
Handmark Blackjack
iSTockManager
Kings Chess 2
MidpSSH
Market Simplified
Nobex Radio Companion
Opera Mini
Pandora
Qik
Ride Charge (taxi app)
Shazam
Slacker
Stock Quote Viewer (Microhill)
Texas Hold'em King 2
TheStreet
Viigo
Vlingo
WSJ Mobile Reader
Yahoo! Messenger
YouMail

I have uninstalled things like Password Keeper, brickbreaker.

I have the Curve 8320 from TMobile. It just doesn't seem like this BB has that much memory to begin with. That's the one aspect I like about the iphone. You never have to worry about the memory.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #1472
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

You have too many apps. You need an 8900. It has enough memory for all the apps you're wanting.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #1473
indoneta

Carrier: xl
Default thanks

thanks pal, this very helpfull article
Old 04-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #1474
indoneta

Carrier: xl

i will try this at home
Old 04-13-2009, 07:34 PM   #1475
kimberlystew

Model: 8310
Default Installing Verizon (105) theme?

Hi, I performed this tutorial to expand the BB memory (success, thanks!!) and also to get other carrier themes. When looking at the different carrier themes, I didn't see anything for Verizon's theme (105) in my Java directory. My options were 100, 102a, 107, 114, 115, 119, 120_green, 120_today, 125_today, 125_zen, 129 and 204. I kept the 107_zen (O2) and the 125_zen (Rogers) as well as all the BB dimension themes and moved the others to the Removed Modules folder. What I'd really like, though, is the Verizon theme that my friend had on his 8330 Curve. Is this possible?

Thanks, and thanks John for a thorough tutorial.

EDIT: Also, how do I install BBMaps with my current OS (4.5.0.110)? The tutorial gave instructions for installing it with OS 4.3 and lower, but that it would require Service Books with anything higher. Can I find this on blackberry.com?

EDIT #2: Found it on blackberry.com. So just want to verify that I should not install BBMaps since it says it isn't supported by AT&T or anything higher than 4.2? Or since I removed the AT&T vendor ID earlier during the tutorial, is this all irrelevant and I *can* install it?

Last edited by kimberlystew; 04-13-2009 at 07:58 PM..
Old 04-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #1476
markegan

Model: 9000
Unhappy Sample Video Removal Problem?

Hi all - new BBF member here and currently on my 4th blackberry. Two problems here, relating to removing sample videos to free up free space. Definitely a very thorough & helpful tutorial here, but haven't seen this issue addressed yet. Hopefully some of the experts here might be able to help!

I've skimmed through this forum (except for pages 2-10, as they were before the Bold was released to AT&T) and have seen many people who were able to remove the sample videos from their devices. I've seen similar success stories on other forums. However, I am unable to remove the videos using any of the methods I have seen. When I go to Options > Advanced > Applications, I do not see the blackberry sample video listed. Likewise on the Blackberry Application loader, I do not see the blackberry sample video listed in the applications list. I definitely do have one of the two sample videos still left. Perhaps I can't see it in the App Loader because I do not have the OS installed on my PC... Help?!

Second issue: I tried using the advice I found on another forum - just delete the video from the media list in the media browser. I tried this with one video, but after removing it (and even after a soft reset) I did not notice a difference in any of the memory levels - application, on board device, nor expansion media card. Would this video still be in a pseudo-trash folder somewhere?

Any help or pointers would be appreciated!

Last edited by markegan; 04-15-2009 at 02:43 PM..
Old 04-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #1477
Tan Hook
No longer Registered.

Model: 7100t
Carrier: google
Default Wonderfull Guide

Wow..that is fascinating guide! I will fix my problem..thanks a lot
Old 04-23-2009, 02:07 AM   #1478
KeithF40

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

I have the latest OS for the 8330 4.5.0.138. I updated from 4.5.0.77 with all the files intact, meaning I did not do the optimization first.

Now I want to remove some of the modules that are listed in the tutorial and I cannot.

I uninstalled EVERY OS verison I have, kept the DM though, and then reinstalled the 138 OS to my computer. I deleted vendor, changed the vendorid in the blackberry.alx file, deleted the modules, and tried using both loader.exe and DM but when I do so it says that no further actions are required.

What, if anything, am I doing wrong?

Should I try installing all OS and DM from my computer and deleting all the folders and then doing this all over again. That is really all I can think of, it worked previously, just not with this OS for some reason.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #1479
zimbu1234
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9780

Honestly this problem really comes down to 64MB of memory is just not enough. When the 8100 and even the first few Curves were released, RIM must not have expected the apps to become as popular. Apple took it to a new levek with their App store.

I loved my 8100 and my 8120 but enough was enough. John Clark mentioned above, the only true fix is upgradde to a new BB. Like him, I just upgraded to a 8900 and I havent looked at this thread except that it pops up in my inbox when someone adds to it.

One thing I noticed when I got my new one though. I put Twitterberry on, and I noticed it stores cached data on the device. You can change this to your media card in the Twitterberry settings.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:25 AM   #1480
g_calderone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

I installed the newest desk top manager (which i already had) but when i go to c program files ------ i dont have shared to remove some of these..

can anyone tell me why i do not have that folder?

i am on a mac using bootcamp, could that be the problem?