Andy.Rogers
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Money Managers - Why is BB lacking in this department

Please Login to Remove!

All -

I am in search of a REAL money manager: one that actually syncs with my desktop money manager and doesn't just export a QIF. I currenty use MS Money but would happily switch to Quicken (on my desktop) if an application (as described above) existed.

Palm has several such options, both for MS Money AND Quicken but nothing exists for blackberry (Ultrasoft and Pocket Quicken). In fact, I had a palm running ultrasoft syncing seamlessly with MS Money in 2004.

Ascendo (on the FAQ) says that the MS and Intuit don't provide API's to 3d party developers for full synchronization. This is clearly not true as Palm has been doing this for years.

Why is the blackberry community so far behind the 8 ball on this important development? I've talked to dozens of bb users who desperately want this. Is anything being developed?

Andy

PS - Using desktop Ascendo unfortunately isn't a satisfactory option since I regularly use function offered by the full-featured desktop money managers that aren't provided by Ascendo (which really amounts to a bill calendar and balance sheet).
Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

That's a good question. Ascendo is close, but it isn't a true sync. Rest assured that the question has been posed many times. perhaps now that BB is becoming more of a consumer/prosumer device as well as a corporate device that might change. I wouldn't be surprised if the programming resources required to deliver a good product that syncs to Quicken might require considerable sales volume to justify the investment.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
Andy.Rogers
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the programming resources required to deliver a good product that syncs to Quicken might require considerable sales volume to justify the investment.
Maybe. But take Pocket Quicken for Palm as an example. If I'm not mistaken, both the Palm OS and the BB OS are "linux based." I read that somewhere years ago and it could be wrong or no longer accurate. If a Palm version of Pocket Quicken exists (and has been successful) why doesn't a BB version?

Even if the newer BB OS versions AREN'T Linux based, surely the lion's share of the programming has already been done and it's matter of a port to BB.

I hate to be the complainer, but a quick search of just this one Blackberry forum (of the hundreds of Blackberry forums on the 'net) indicate that this is a much desired software option.
Closed Thread