BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
jkbent

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Disable Delivery Receipts From 8300?

Please Login to Remove!

If I receive an e-mail (via BIS) sent from an Outlook user with the request delivery receipt option checked, my 8300 is sending out delivery confirmations. Since I do not have my device turned on all the time, these confirmations essentially notify the sender when I power up my BlackBerry. Wanting to avoid this, I have tried the following settings without success:

From the e-mail account messages folder:
Options/Email Settings/
Confirm Delivery: No
Confirm Read: No
Send Read Receipts: No

Shouldn’t there be one more option for Send Delivery Receipts? There is one under MMS, but is ineffective…

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-31-2007, 05:55 PM   #2
Nextel User
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220

i dont believe the berry sends delivery reciepts, but i could be mistaken....

there are 2 kinds of reciepts
1. read reciepts. you can choose not to send it back. (it is valid legal proof that you opened the email if you do send it.)
and 2. delivery. your mail "hoster" sends it telling the other party that it was merely dropped off. you have no control over this
Old 11-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #3
jkbent

Agreed. Whether the notification is sent directly from the BlackBerry or the server, most e-mail environments contain an option to disable the notifications (both Read and Delivery). I have found no such options on the BIS account page or on the 8300. Searching here on the forum it sounded like this option may be available on other devices, but I wonder if that’s just confusion over the “Confirm Delivery” option. I have since learned this option controls delivery REQUESTS not RECEIPTS. Here’s an excerpt from the features description for BIS 2.4:

Delivery Receipts
• Sends a delivery receipt to notify the email message sender that the message has been successfully delivered
• Turned on from the Delivery Status Notification section in Email Settings
• Available for both the hosted BlackBerry email address as well as third-party integrated email accounts
• BlackBerry Device Software 4.2 or later is required for this feature to function

Doesn’t it sound from line 2 like it can be disabled? My device software is 4.2…
Old 11-07-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Radio Flyer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

Let me know if you find a way around this... I've spent a bit of time on the phone with TMO BlackBerry support, and they swear that I've done something to create this issue!

Just to make sure this is clear, we're not talking about RECEIVING receipts when mail you sent is delivered or read. The issue is ehwn someone sends you a message and requests a receipt when you receive it. Suddenly now my BB is automatically SENDING receipts to indicate that the message has been delivered to me. This is really annoying, as I don't always want people to know that I received their message... sometimes spam, sometimes not.

Last edited by Radio Flyer; 11-08-2007 at 09:03 AM..
Old 11-07-2007, 11:28 PM   #5
pinhead
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 30EC5097

I have always had the phone prompt me before sending read receipts but I didn't know there might be a possibility of it sending delivery receipts. Are you sure that this occurs?
Old 11-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #6
Radio Flyer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead View Post
I have always had the phone prompt me before sending read receipts but I didn't know there might be a possibility of it sending delivery receipts. Are you sure that this occurs?
Yes, very sure. I'm a real estate agent and there are some mortgage brokers and others who send out mass emails and request delivery confirmation via Outlook. Then they call to try and solicit business, since they know you got their messgae. I tell them to not call me again, they don't, but someone else tries the same tact.

When the message comes in to me, a response is automatically sent, and I can't get it to stop:

SUBJECT: Delivered: Messgae Title
BODY: Your message was delivered to the recipient.
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

Attached to the message is a file titled "details.txt" which includes a "message id," my tmo email address (which is normally hidden), and a line that states "Action: Delivered"
Old 01-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
devlol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Bumping... since I'm looking to see how to disable the receipt my BB auto sends out when it receives e-mails that are requesting delivery receipts.

:(
Old 01-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
Radio Flyer
Thumbs Must Hurt

After more than an hour on the phone with RIM support, they told me this is a "feature" that can't be turned off.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #9
BlackShyft02
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: 242CCEC1

It is physically impossible to disable your system from sending out Delivery receipts as it is a requested prompt between servers, not the device. The second line you are reading too much into.

xxx8226; Turned on from the Delivery Status Notification section in Email Settings

This is simply referencing your ability to enable and disable your ability to send/receive your own receipts, not the sender's. You as the recipient are not sending out the delivery receipts, but the server itself is.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
Tre Lawrence

Model: 8320

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShyft02
It is physically impossible to disable your system from sending out Delivery receipts as it is a requested prompt between servers, not the device. The second line you are reading too much into.

xxx8226; Turned on from the Delivery Status Notification section in Email Settings

This is simply referencing your ability to enable and disable your ability to send/receive your own receipts, not the sender's. You as the recipient are not sending out the delivery receipts, but the server itself is.
I am inclined to agree. I believe delivery receipts are just what a previous poster stated: just a confirmation that said email was delivered. All this does is tell the sender that the email address is a valid, working address.

A read receipt going out from my BB is what would bother me; I believe that is easy to disable.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #11
jkbent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tre Lawrence View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I am inclined to agree. I believe delivery receipts are just what a previous poster stated: just a confirmation that said email was delivered. All this does is tell the sender that the email address is a valid, working address.

A read receipt going out from my BB is what would bother me; I believe that is easy to disable.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Although I agree this is a server generated receipt, the device is involved. The delivery receipt is sent when the DEVICE receives the message not the BB server.

Here's the rub (and reason for posting this original query).

***By using the delivery receipt option in MS Outlook you can find out who has a BlackBerry, if they currently have coverage and if it's turned on - If the BB device is powered down (or out of coverage) for a few days no delivery receipts are sent until it's powered back up***

I have a home office where there is no cellular coverage, so these receipts can essentially act as a "tracking device" as they are only sent when I leave home!

Since I have since learned this is a general BB concern and not limited to the 8300, should this be moved to a larger general forum where we might have more exposure to help find a workaround?

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #12
dhendriksen

Model: 9530

Any answer to this yet? I receive about 70 emails per day from my assistant, and her inbox is full of these delivery confirmation/receipt messages. There is no way to turn this off that I can find, I am just wondering if someone found a solution. This is very annoying, and should have an option to disable it. I don't always want people knowing I received the email, and my poor assistant is getting killed with these.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #13
jkbent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen View Post
Any answer to this yet? I receive about 70 emails per day from my assistant, and her inbox is full of these delivery confirmation/receipt messages. There is no way to turn this off that I can find, I am just wondering if someone found a solution. This is very annoying, and should have an option to disable it. I don't always want people knowing I received the email, and my poor assistant is getting killed with these.
Dan,

No resolution has been forthcoming on the device side. However, since your issue is regarding someone you know, you can simply have your assistant disable her delivery receipt requests. This sending option can be disabled from a BB device or e-mail host like MS Outlook. The Outlook option can be found at Tools/Options/E-Mail Options/Tracking Options (this may vary by version).

Hope this helps.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:14 PM   #14
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000

Really think people are way way too paranoid about "tracking" via BB. you dont like it? get rid of the device. your problem is solved. The BlackBerry functions this way, and it will take more than a couple upset people to change it. there is a way to send suggestions to RIM, BlackBerry has all the info you need.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #15
artfog

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmo

The problem is a privacy issue. The read receipt reveals your blackberry carrier email address.
From the details.txt file:
Code:
Original-Message-ID:4291231532
Final-Recipient:username@tmo.blackberry.net
Action:Delivered
So if you're using an email alias that forwards to your blackberry email, your blackberry carrier email is exposed, which most probably you don't want to happen.

Would love to find a way to turn this off. It's annoying and I a big privacy issue.
BTW this is happening to me on my 8100 Pearl and on my wife's Curve.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #16
Kyos

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

They must of changed things on me or something because this is the first time I'm getting these messages.
Its becoming a mess.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:56 AM   #17
PaulQ

Model: 9550

I too am in this boat. I am not concerned about delivery receipts so much as read receipts. On Outlook, I have the option to send a receipt or not when I open a message. On the Blackberry, not only am I not informed there is one attached but it sends the read receipt without my consent.

If this wasn't a significant issue, Microsoft would not have set the default behaviour in Outlook to ask first.

A lot of this discussion looked like it was centered on BIS. I am on a BES and there is no option related to receipts in my mail options window.

------------------------------

I rarely do this but I have to rant. It is so annoying when people say things like "....if you don't like it, don't use it..." (like someone in this thread said). I seriously doubt RIM considered the way this situation might evolve. There is no way most people would know about this obscure behaviour prior to purchase. Furthermore, it appears that certain models and OS's have certain levels of control for this. RIM must have known people wanted to address the option.

Like many others, I paid hundreds of dollars for this device and I'm locked in a contract. The privacy complaints, although not a major concern for me, are realistic. Imagine if every email you sent/read from whatever service you used was tagged with a receipt. Speaking only for myself, now I have to be aware that if I open a message from certain people I work with who are particularly paranoid and I choose not to deal with it for one or two days, they can track a time line. Annoying at best. So, I hereby add myself to the list of complaining users.

The link presented takes your to main Blackberry site. I wouldn't mind sharing my opinion but I don't know if I can find the place to do it??

(hope that was respectable ranting)

<><><><><><><><><><><><> Life after Pearl is Curved... then there's a STORM!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:45 AM   #18
kmcdougall

Model: 8830

I'm not so sure that this is a BB problem as it is a Verizon problem at their server level. I believe that the Verizon servers provide a delivery receipt by default and then depend on the device to indicate that a delivery receipt is not to be sent. When I started forwarding email to my Motorola v710, I had the same issue. Verizon tried to tell me it was a Comcast issue, so my solution was to forward my comcast email to a yahoo account and then forward to my Motorola using the yahoo mobile alerts. Pretty much a kludge job but it is important enough to me that I don't feel the need to have any response sent back to the senders unless I choose to respond. Paul, as for your rant, add me to the list. Incidentally, why add that much more pollution to the internet email world unless someone specifically requests it. I'm thinking that we're going to start killing other cyber organisms to the brink of extinction if we don't practice resource management...
Old 07-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #19
AlexanderA

Model: 8900

Hi,
I am having a similar issue. Have been looking for a solution for a while without any luck.
I am a Tmobile BIS user. Let me document the situation so it's clear to everyone what the problem is.

1. Person A (third party) sends an email which has "Delivery receipt enabled"
2. Person B (blackberry user) receives the email on the device.
3. Person A receives a delivery confirmation email that looks as attachment 1. There's a file attached which contains details of the email delivery path (attachment 2)
Person B didn't have to confirm or acknowledged receiving the original email - the confirm is sent automatically.

Maybe we can make Rim turn this feature off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment1.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	12139   Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment2.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	12140  
Old 07-24-2008, 08:50 AM   #20
jonnynyc

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

I have the same issue on AT&T. It is definitely not carrier specific. What's also annoying is that I am auto bcc'ed on my boss's emails and now those people who send her emails are getting delivery confirmation from my blackberry. People who don't even know I am getting their mail are getting confirmations from my device. That's kind of bad.

Last edited by jonnynyc; 07-24-2008 at 08:56 AM..
Closed Thread