BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
lc1412
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Smile Went from 9550 to Iphone and back to 9550!

Please Login to Remove!

I have AT&T for my carrier and I was up for an phone upgrade. A few months ago I purchased a brand new 9550 (had the Pearl2 before that) that was unlock and I loved it!!! Since this was a Verizon phone, I could not use AT&T's 3G network so I decided to go with the "next best thing", the Iphone. Well, 24 hours later I was returning the phone back to the story. I was unimpressed. Here are the reasons why, though they may seem petty, was enough for me to give it back.........

1. No LED status indicator. I didn't realize how much I actually depended on this. For example, if you get a text or better yet miss a text, you MUST push the home button to turn the screen on to see if you received a text or not. With the Blackberry, a quick glance at the status indicator LED would let you know that. This will never be capiable with any current Iphone as they do not have any such "bulb". There are apps that can "flash" the screen but I can imagine that would play a big part in the battery life. I've read on a few Iphone forums that the users wish they had an LED indicator, while other said that it would be annoying to have this feature. But as annoying as it may be, it is an OPTION with the Blackberry.

2. No sound profiles. Well, it actually has two. Silent, which you only have the option to change vibrate to on/off. The other option is just a general option where you can change the loudness on the ring via a slider. There is a Sound Profile app that'll cost you about $7.

3. You cannot use any apps outside the Apple App store unless you "jailbreak" it. Jailbreaking will void your warranty. We all already Blackberry is open to all outside apps.

4. Home screen does not "flip" when turned to landscape. May be an app for that.

5. Scary to think what happens to this phone when the battery actually dies, since you can't replace it (not a reason to totally ditch the phone but worth noting).

A few things that were pretty sweet on the Iphone........

1. Safari. Very nice and extremely user friendly. Was very fast but I don't have anything to compare it with since my Blackberry could not use the 3G network. Hopefully RIMs new browser will be up to par.

2. A trillion apps..........Nuff said........It'l be quite awhile for Blackberry to catach up in that department.

3. No clicking. This is bitter/sweet for me. For typing, clicking is a MUST for me and I missed it dearly. But for larger "depressions" like icons and such where mistakes are minimal due to the fact of the larger area to push on, a simple tap on the screen was very nice. I wish a "tap not click" was an option on the Blackberry, as I would be tapping icons and clicking text.

Well, I hope this helps anybody thinking about getting an Iphone to replace their Storm. I should have did my homework first but I would have never looked for things that one would think SHOULD be standard on a phone........
Old 04-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
lc1412
Thumbs Must Hurt

I also whant to add that I hated the way that when you got any messages, a pop up would show on the screen with the persons name who sent it on the Iphone. Not very private at all. The simple envelope is nice.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
BUC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Movistar

Very nice description of your experience with both devices, I wrote a comparison (in a slide show) a couple of month ago and I forgot to mention and probably took for granted those little details that, now that you mention, I would definitely miss and appreciate...

I completely agree with you. Though I like the clicking in almost all situation, it allows for highlighting thus options from the selection, it helps to avoids mistakes (more common while typing but still existant in full UI)... and once you get used to its feels natural (to me at least)
Old 04-19-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
BUC

Model: 9000
Carrier: Movistar

Also I forgot to mention that having a clicking screen helps a lot for taking pictures (when not using the physical key). It allows to focus and then click to snap with steady hand.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
lc1412
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUC View Post
Also I forgot to mention that having a clicking screen helps a lot for taking pictures (when not using the physical key). It allows to focus and then click to snap with steady hand.
I never even thought about clicking when taking pictures. That would be interesting with a tap only screen with shakey hands.....
Old 04-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
lc1412
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUC View Post
Very nice description of your experience with both devices, I wrote a comparison (in a slide show) a couple of month ago and I forgot to mention and probably took for granted those little details that, now that you mention, I would definitely miss and appreciate...

I completely agree with you. Though I like the clicking in almost all situation, it allows for highlighting thus options from the selection, it helps to avoids mistakes (more common while typing but still existant in full UI)... and once you get used to its feels natural (to me at least)
Thanks. I just looked at your slide show. Very informative!
Old 04-20-2010, 04:36 PM   #7
Watoosy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

I have the Storm 1 and have not been very happy with it due to my constantly having to tinker with it (battery pulls, slipping cards underneath battery, unscrewing screws, etc.). I was planning to switch to IPhone at next renewal. How much better is Storm 2 than Storm 1? Do you have to tinker with the Storm 2 to keep it working to maximum ability?
Old 04-20-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
seanecy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: verizon

i LOVE the click screen....(storm 2) Hey, i dont think the iphone has a flash. Apple must not like bulbs of any kind.......
Old 04-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #9
BeachBum71

Model: 8330
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Sprint

I switched from a Blackberry to an iPhone, now back to my BB. Pretty much for the same reasons. But add the fact that most of the time, my emails came 30 minutes to an hour after they were sent, my data coverage was spotty so it was a brick most of the time.

IMHO, an iPhone is over rated.

Richard

After twelve years of therapy my psychiatrist said something that brought tears to my eyes. He said, "No hablo ingles."
Old 04-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
suicidepact

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Great thread, lc1412!
"Home screen does not "flip" when turned to landscape. May be an app for that."
I had a good laugh at that. I have an iPod Touch, and I like it for what it does, but I would hate having it as a phone for another reason, AT&T. My iPod Touch and my friend's AT&T iPhones all make about the same amount of calls...ZERO. I still won't get an iPhone when they come out on VZW now that I got my Storm 2 for another reason: I can buy apps from any store I want, not just iTunes.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:23 AM   #11
lc1412
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoosy View Post
I have the Storm 1 and have not been very happy with it due to my constantly having to tinker with it (battery pulls, slipping cards underneath battery, unscrewing screws, etc.). I was planning to switch to IPhone at next renewal. How much better is Storm 2 than Storm 1? Do you have to tinker with the Storm 2 to keep it working to maximum ability?
With the newer OS (im on .517), battery pulls are at a mininum. The hardware on the Storm 2, from what i've heard, is better, as far as any tinkering is concerned. But if you like the overall functionality of your strom, the IPhone is a very different beast, so good luck. I wouldn't suggest it at all, IMO.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:25 AM   #12
lc1412
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanecy View Post
i LOVE the click screen....(storm 2) Hey, i dont think the iphone has a flash. Apple must not like bulbs of any kind.......
I think they might have a "bulb" on the next gen IPhone.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:29 AM   #13
lc1412
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum71 View Post
I switched from a Blackberry to an iPhone, now back to my BB. Pretty much for the same reasons. But add the fact that most of the time, my emails came 30 minutes to an hour after they were sent, my data coverage was spotty so it was a brick most of the time.

IMHO, an iPhone is over rated.
Very overrated. The apps are probably their major selling point. I could be wrong thougn
Old 04-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #14
lc1412
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidepact View Post
Great thread, lc1412!
"Home screen does not "flip" when turned to landscape. May be an app for that."
I had a good laugh at that. I have an iPod Touch, and I like it for what it does, but I would hate having it as a phone for another reason, AT&T. My iPod Touch and my friend's AT&T iPhones all make about the same amount of calls...ZERO. I still won't get an iPhone when they come out on VZW now that I got my Storm 2 for another reason: I can buy apps from any store I want, not just iTunes.
I actually have AT&T service. It's been great for me but I know certain areas are spotty for some folks. But that would be true for any other carrier.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #15
BeachBum71

Model: 8330
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc1412 View Post
Very overrated. The apps are probably their major selling point. I could be wrong thoug

I think this is true. A friend asked me once, how smart is your iPhone without all the apps? What can it do alone?

I tried for a week without any apps, it was just a touch iPod with the ability to make & receive calls

Richard

After twelve years of therapy my psychiatrist said something that brought tears to my eyes. He said, "No hablo ingles."
Old 04-21-2010, 10:40 AM   #16
lc1412
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum71 View Post
I think this is true. A friend asked me once, how smart is your iPhone without all the apps? What can it do alone?

I tried for a week without any apps, it was just a touch iPod with the ability to make & receive calls
Good point!

Even a barebone Storm is a superior device.
Closed Thread