Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:10 PM   #41
eZainny
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Optus

Please Login to Remove!

I've got little specs of dust under mine - don't really notice it too much except on clear white screens where it is pretty annoying.

More constructively, is there anything that can be done about this that I can do myself?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:14 PM   #42
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

You forgot: 5) Dust-reporting BlackBerry users are actually aliens hired by Steve Jobs.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:17 PM   #43
eZainny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
You forgot: 5) Dust-reporting BlackBerry users are actually aliens hired by Steve Jobs.
It's true I swear!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:25 PM   #44
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Hmmm...that sounds more like a Microsoft tactic....or maybe Jobs secretly simulating Microsoft behavior so that Blackberry owners will hate their Curves, blame Microsoft, and Steve (who shorted MS stock) will profit off their downfall sufficiently to cover the $100 rebate they started offering to the slighted, over-charged iPhone early adopters.

But...just to make sure we keep this on topic, I have one word to say: "dust".

OK, to your great relief, I'm going off to my dusty bed. Just remember: Let sleeping motes lie.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:18 PM   #45
word2218
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: up
Carrier: T-Mob

grr... I have to say, I have dust on my curve as well. I used to have a Pearl that after months of abuse got some dust under the screen.. never used to be a problem on my trusty old 7250.

the dust isn't that big of an issue when the screen is on, but I'm a little OCD and can see a lot of dust on the right side of my screen when the screen is off and the sun is shining on it. shizzle.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:15 AM   #46
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by word2218 View Post
grr... I have to say, I have dust on my curve as well. I used to have a Pearl that after months of abuse got some dust under the screen.. never used to be a problem on my trusty old 7250.

the dust isn't that big of an issue when the screen is on, but I'm a little OCD and can see a lot of dust on the right side of my screen when the screen is off and the sun is shining on it. shizzle.
I suspect that most here that say they have no dust have just not seen it yet. Turning your device off or having the screen off and having a strong light come in at an angle will show what they have not seen in normal conditions.

It did not bother me that much except I paid full retail and was less than two weeks old! The AT&T people were very nice. The manager told me that had seen several with dust but his was without. I took him outside and when the sun hit his, it was full of dust! More than I have seen on any of mine! He was surprised!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #47
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
I suspect that most here that say they have no dust have just not seen it yet. Turning your device off or having the screen off and having a strong light come in at an angle will show what they have not seen in normal conditions.
After the first posts about this phenomenon started, I've taken to examining my Curve periodically under a bright light - with the screen off (sunlight is particularly revealing).

Nothing! (really) - and I'm not in denial....

It's really not a universal problem.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:39 AM   #48
spiroh
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

One week of having the curve and I have a lot of lint and dust in it. I'm going to call AT&T to see if they can replace it. Unacceptable for such a new phone.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #49
speed4tu
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have a little dust under the screen of my 8300. It really doesn't bother me tho. I am thinking what causes mine is riding my motorcyles and it blows in. I ride with the phone attached to my belt in the OEM holster.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:20 PM   #50
jimdab

i love my curve but i am a steve jobs alien i guess.

i got lots of dust under my screen. i will be calling at&t soon. i'm sure they will replace it under warrantee as I have heard other curve owners have done.

the dust is annoying, but this bb curve is such a nice phone that i have learned to live with the dust. the fact that the dust issue has been resolved on the newer curves (i got mine in late June) is just icing on the curve cake.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:45 PM   #51
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdab View Post
i love my curve but i am a steve jobs alien i guess.

i got lots of dust under my screen. i will be calling at&t soon. i'm sure they will replace it under warrantee as I have heard other curve owners have done.

the dust is annoying, but this bb curve is such a nice phone that i have learned to live with the dust. the fact that the dust issue has been resolved on the newer curves (i got mine in late June) is just icing on the curve cake.
If you purchased over 30 days ago, you are about to find out the AT&T is not quite that nice!

The dust problem has not been resolved on the newer units!
Old 09-07-2007, 07:43 PM   #52
phonemonkey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Several 8800s at work have dust problems, whether they were bought right at launch (March?) or in the past 1-2 months. 8700s same problem -- only the 7200 series didn't have this (but had the silver paint scratch-off problems).

And the black paint/coloring comes off the raised curved part of the 8800 keys, which only becomes visible in the dark when the backlight is on.

All handheld devices will have wear from daily use, but it seems things aren't improving as new models are released. I can't imagine RIM being unable to find a key paint that doesn't rub off, or being able to build a screen that is airtight. But it happens, and the alternatives (even with BB Connect) aren't really a heck of a lot better, since their cosmetics may be better but they lack elsewhere that's more important.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #53
jxlarrea
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 207E3F5F
Carrier: Porta

I hear you dude, after 2 weeks my Curve had MAJOR dust particles in the right side of the screen, it was just awful. I got a replacement from my operator today which appears to be from a different batch. I really hope i dont get that damned dust again.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #54
lostturttle

Model: 9000
Carrier: M3 Wireless Bermuda

Dust bunnies under my 8300 screen after three weeks. I kept it in the OEM holster when not in use. Problem is after each use I would wipe the screen on my shirt, one day I noticed a few specs glinting under the screen. After getting tired of seeing the bunny population rapidly grow in the upper right portion of the screen I returned the curve to the dealer. Was told about the three month warranty and after that I was on my own.................Dust under the screen not covered, nor the rubber flaking of the top!
Eight weeks in I took it apart, cleaned it out and put the curve back together, looked like new................for about a week, now the bunnies are starting to populate the screen again!
My guess is the seal is the problem as mine was not seating properly. I am looking for a new material to replace the existing seal. If someone else has any ideas..............
Old 09-07-2007, 09:11 PM   #55
eZainny

Quote:
Originally Posted by eZainny View Post
More constructively, is there anything that can be done about this that I can do myself?
Haha! I knew other people had it too! But nobody answered my question above...Is there anything I can do about it from here? (besides preventative measures to stop it from getting worse). Outside warranty period also.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:55 AM   #56
CarBob
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Talking

Quote:
Light Hearted? Then Lighten up!

I am sorry but after 4 dusty units I refuse to assume that the design has changed! I claim that I am being more "logical" that you and YOU are just praying that the 8320 is going to be better!

"Don't take me with a frown" ??? WTF?

Do your parents know you are on the computer?

OH AND MY CAT WILL BEAT YOUR CAT'S A$$!
Hey Greg,

Haven't posted on this forum for awhile. So sorry to hear you're having a dust problem with your four 8300s.

Anyway, on a lighter note, I know MY CAT WILL BEAT YOUR CAT's A$$.

CB
Old 09-08-2007, 07:02 AM   #57
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarBob View Post
Hey Greg,

Haven't posted on this forum for awhile. So sorry to hear you're having a dust problem with your four 8300s.

Anyway, on a lighter note, I know MY CAT WILL BEAT YOUR CAT's A$$.

CB
GRANTED!

My cat may feel like your cat looks but not even on his best day or dreaming does my cat want to tangle with yours!
Old 09-08-2007, 07:42 AM   #58
jjd228

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon. (Exchange/BES Architect & Engineer since the very very beginning :)

Quote:
Rant Mode: ON!

After only 3 days, my 4th 8300 has a butt load of dust under the screen! I will not even consider the 8320 because it will have the same problem.

Back to the 8800 which has much better build quality!

OK, now lets here from everyone of you in denial, saying my has no dust! Take it out in the sun with the screen off and see it! <vbg>

Rant mode: Off!
LOL.... first, listen to your pathetic self! you went through 4 of these because of DUST you little girl?!?!?

OMFG
Old 09-08-2007, 08:03 AM   #59
eZainny

This thread needs less cat talk and more dust talk
Old 09-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #60
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjd228 View Post
LOL.... first, listen to your pathetic self! you went through 4 of these because of DUST you little girl?!?!?

OMFG
jjd228, please, clean up your insults and personal attacks or find yourself on vacation very quickly. It is uncalled for.

Thank you.
Closed Thread