BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
freedom

Model: 8220
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default RIM IM Clients w/ BB Feature Enabler...?

Please Login to Remove!

Sorry if this has been addressed before. I recently purchased the Tmo 8220, and I called Tmo 3x and got different responses.

Call 1) I was told that I could get Picture Msg'ing, IM, and T-Zones with the Feature Enabler since I didn't have a data plan. I can get T-Zones and I can do Picture msg'ing, however, I can't get IM to work. None of the clients that were pre-installed.

Frustrated, I went online and I signed up for the TMo-Web plan thinking it may help. When that didn't work, I called TMo again.

Call 2) I was told again that all I needed for the IM is to get the Feature Enabler, so I got it switched back to the Feature Enabler.

This didn't work again, so I called TMo again.

Call 3) I was told that this feature only works on older BB. Like the older pearl 8100s and for the newer pearl 8120/8220, I'd need to get a data plan.

After this, I looked on TMobile website for the description of the BB Feature Enabler, and this is what it says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMobile's Website
BlackBerry Feature Enabler
This no cost feature allows customers with certain Blackberry devices who are not signed up for BlackBerry service to enjoy phone features such as Picture Messaging, Instant Messaging and t-zones.
I went into a TMo store and tried my SIM card in the older pearl 8100 and I still could not sign into any of the IM clients.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions, or has experienced this with their Pearl Flip 8220.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

From what I understand the "feature enabler" is only good for the BlackBerry IM tool (BlackBerry Messenger) and not AIM, Yahoo, and the like.

BlackBerry Messenger is good only to communicate with other BlackBerry devices.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
freedom

Thanks for the update. BB Messenger does not work for me either. I tried getting my gf (who has a pearl) and another friend (who has a curve) to msg me using my pin. They told me it says the user's service is blocked.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #4
freedom

Update.
The BB Feature Enabler seems to enable the IM clients only on older versions of the BB OS 4.1 and lower from what T-Mobile told me.
RIM changed the way the IM msgs are sent out from SMS to data, so later versions of the BB OS will require a data plan.
I ended up getting the data plan and now everything works.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:59 PM   #5
cachen

I have not been able to login to IM for 2 days on my 8220. I tried again just a bit ago and I was able to login successfully. I'm thinking there may have been an outage of some kind. I currently have the BB Enterprise plan.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
cachen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachen View Post
I have not been able to login to IM for 2 days on my 8220. I tried again just a bit ago and I was able to login successfully. I'm thinking there may have been an outage of some kind. I currently have the BB Enterprise plan.
Update - I tried to login again and received the same error I was receiving earlier. Server busy.
Closed Thread