Old 06-13-2008, 10:33 AM   #1
catchit
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: None
Angry Bell BB 8830 to another provider?

Please Login to Remove!

I own a BlackBerry 8830 World edition from Bell which has never been activated. I'd like to use it on another Canadian provider, but they said only the phone will work, and data (BES/BIS) will stop working after a month or two once RIM see the ESN not tied to Bell anymore.

Apparently the data stops working because the phone is licensed to Bell. However, I OWN it. It is MY property. Is there anyway to reset or wipe the phone so I can get both voice and data working?

Thanks,
-Cat
Old 06-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
jeffmik
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: none
Carrier: carrier

Its really not RIM's fauly. CDMA providers will generally not allow a device from another carrier to be activated. Bell and Telus have always had this rule in place for their digital handsets.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Same with Verizon and Sprint here in the US.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 06-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
catchit

But the phone works for making calls, just the data portion stops. I don't get it..
Old 06-15-2008, 11:39 PM   #5
markhutchison
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

The ESN will not be registered with your carrier as a BlackBerry device and, therefore, it will not work for BlackBerry data services. It isn't RIM or Bell that is restricting you; it's your carrier. Most CDMA carriers do not support foreign hardware on their networks.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:42 PM   #6
markhutchison

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchit View Post
But the phone works for making calls, just the data portion stops. I don't get it..
I'm not sure if it's the same setup with other carriers but, on Bell's network, a foreign ESN is treated like an Analogue device. Just like a true analogue phone, basic voice service will work but services that require a digital connection (like data, for example) will not.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:47 PM   #7
aingaran
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

CDMA carriers control the device on their network.. IE, don't allow foreign ESN. Foreign to their network/company, not the country. Telus will not activate a foreign ESN as even a pseudo analog device.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
catchit

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhutchison View Post
The ESN will not be registered with your carrier as a BlackBerry device and, therefore, it will not work for BlackBerry data services. It isn't RIM or Bell that is restricting you; it's your carrier. Most CDMA carriers do not support foreign hardware on their networks.
So it would be a matter of getting the new carrier to allow that ESN on their network? Also, is that ESN tied to Bell and cannot be released, that's why they can't do it?
Old 06-16-2008, 11:54 AM   #9
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

The ESN isn't tied to Bell, it's just one they entered into their data base as a particular unit they sold and will allow on their network. Completely Bell's choice to do this. And of course the other carriers will not show it as an ESN they themselves sold. They keep their own data bases too. If you could convince the new carrier to allow that ESN to be registered on their network it would work fine. It's just a common practice among the CDMA carriers not to do this.

Last edited by rambo47; 06-16-2008 at 11:56 AM..
Old 06-16-2008, 12:54 PM   #10
catchit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
The ESN isn't tied to Bell, it's just one they entered into their data base as a particular unit they sold and will allow on their network. Completely Bell's choice to do this. And of course the other carriers will not show it as an ESN they themselves sold. They keep their own data bases too. If you could convince the new carrier to allow that ESN to be registered on their network it would work fine. It's just a common practice among the CDMA carriers not to do this.
So I called up the new carrier, they told me they don't know the "password" to unlock Bell Canada Blackberry 8830 phones. The cellular service will work fine, but the data portion will cut out after a month. I know you simply go into the call screen, enter a few key strokes and press enter. But does anyone know the specifics of this "password"?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #11
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

CDMA devices aren't SIM locked like GSM ones. They don't even have SIM cards! They only need to approve the ESN number and they can do it. Sounds like they just don't want to.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #12
catchit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
CDMA devices aren't SIM locked like GSM ones. They don't even have SIM cards! They only need to approve the ESN number and they can do it. Sounds like they just don't want to.
Actually, the 8830 does have a SIM card. It's a World edition CDMA/GSM phone (using CDMA in North America). I know how to unlock the SIM portion anyway. It's this password for Bell 8830's is what I need to get into the CDMA Service Program Edit screen.

Last edited by catchit; 06-16-2008 at 01:34 PM..
Old 06-16-2008, 01:29 PM   #13
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Now I know it used to be that CDMA carriers could "lock" an ESN to their network, and you had to get it released from one carrier before you could actuvate it on another. Not sure if this is still the case, but if that is what the new carrier is meaning, you might call Bell and ask them to release the ESN.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #14
jeffmik

Model: none
Carrier: carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickfromIL View Post
Now I know it used to be that CDMA carriers could "lock" an ESN to their network, and you had to get it released from one carrier before you could actuvate it on another. Not sure if this is still the case, but if that is what the new carrier is meaning, you might call Bell and ask them to release the ESN.
Not so much released, as getting the unlock code that allows you access to actually program the phone.

Either way, if the original poster is in Canada none of the CDMA providers will properly activate a digital handset that originates from another carrier.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:50 PM   #15
catchit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmik View Post
Not so much released, as getting the unlock code that allows you access to actually program the phone.

Either way, if the original poster is in Canada none of the CDMA providers will properly activate a digital handset that originates from another carrier.
Yes I am in Canada, and the phone is from Bell Canada, moving to another Canadian carrier. Why is it that nobody else but Bell will be able to properly activate this phone?
Old 06-16-2008, 02:47 PM   #16
wunderbar

Model: 9630
Carrier: Telus

there is an unlock code for the 8830. The unlock of a CDMA basically lets you re-activate the phone on another CDMA network. But you have to get it from Bell, and they likely won't give it to you, because that would mean they are essentially letting you walk to another carrier.

that's the way it is with CDMA, and why we are so screwed here in Canada. our only GSM carrier(Rogers) is worse than any of our CDMA ones.
Blackberry 9630
WES 2008 Alumni
Old 06-16-2008, 03:08 PM   #17
markhutchison

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchit View Post
...Why is it that nobody else but Bell will be able to properly activate this phone?
Two reasons:

1) As your carrier has indicated, they do not have the Master Service Lock (or "lock code") that is required to program your phone number onto the hardware. Only RIM and Bell have this information.

2) As has been stated earlier in this thread, it is a common business rule amongst CDMA carriers to refuse foreign devices on their networks.

**Aside: you could always move your service to Bell! **

Last edited by markhutchison; 06-16-2008 at 03:10 PM..
Old 06-16-2008, 04:00 PM   #18
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

I was completely ignorant of the lock code on CDMA phones. Hm... Learn something new every day!
Old 06-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #19
kehl

Carrier: Bell/Voda NZ

Just though id post this, i don't know if its universal for all Bell 8830s but the "Master Lock" code Bell's tech gave me was 533443. They claim there is no "Sub Lock Code," just the ML.

To use just it dial ##533443 from the phone screen and you should get the CDMA programming guide.

Even if it doesn't work, tech support was quite happy to tell me the number, no cover story required.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:44 PM   #20
markhutchison

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehl View Post
...i don't know if its universal for all Bell 8830s but the "Master Lock" code Bell's tech gave me was ...
The MSL is unique to the device.
Closed Thread