Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 03:14 AM   #1
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T
Default MS push Email is comming soon to Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

Well here is some of the info that I was able to gather. Is RIM going to encounter some stiff competition with this, From my side, I don't think so as we all know how bad the WM platform is.

Microsoft Direct Push

Microsoft Direct Push is a new ‘push’ email service scheduled to launch June 19. As with the other solutions within Cingular's enterprise email portfolio, users receive their email, calendar, contacts and tasks automatically. A key benefit of this service is no middleware server software (such as BlackBerry Enterprise Server or GoodLink Server) or client access licenses (CALs) are required (although additional Microsoft infrastructure may be required). This new service will appeal to Microsoft-centric organizations that want a familiar Microsoft Windows® and Outlook® experience while mobile, and prefer to leverage and extend their existing Microsoft infrastructure. Direct Push works with Cingular’s growing portfolio of Windows Mobile 5.0 devices – including the Cingular 8125 Pocket PC and the Cingular 2125 Smartphone.

Microsoft Direct Push requires Exchange 2003 with Service Pack 2. Note that only about 25% of Microsoft Exchange customers currently run Exchange 2003. For customers on earlier versions of Exchange looking to take advantage of Cingular’s Windows Mobile 5.0 portfolio, Cingular’s Goodlink offer, which supports Exchange 5.5, 2000 and 2003.

Customers interested in Cingular's Direct Push service should be provisioned on Microsoft Direct Push data rate plans, which qualify them for specialized Cingular Business Customer Services.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:54 AM   #2
HuwSy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: .
Carrier: Orange

It doesnt really matter what the phones are like, it wont be anyone using them who decides in the company, it will be some financial assistant or somewhat who thinks along the lines of.

Oh we already have exchange 2003 sp2 so why spend any money on blackberry middleware when this can do the "same" job.

Then they will find some way of divirting the savings to ther own bonus. lol.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:00 AM   #3
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

And the key downside: Windows Mobile 5.0....
Eventually they will get it right, but not yet..
Old 06-15-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
MrMitchell
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7230

If I call BlackBerry support again and get the Janitor trying to troubleshoot a bes server again I might just consider going to Windows Mobile. T-Support gone down hill. If they are going to hire people for phone support at least let me think they have installed the server just once.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:27 PM   #5
DoomBringer

Model: 7280
Carrier: cingular, no wait, AT&T

I'll have to support both. I'm interested in it myself.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
jibi
BlackBerry God

Carrier: AT&T

So the carriers actually are getting into the provisioning game for this? Absolutely hilarious. I wonder what the differences between it and a normal data plan will be? Hell, if thats anywhere near the BlackBerry data plans ($49.99/mo for Cingular), then there goes one advantage of Direct Push right out the door.
Old 06-15-2006, 05:50 PM   #7
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

Out of the box the MS "Push" is nothing like a BES. Additonal servers are required for remote wipe capability, remote device lock, password, content protection, etc, etc. MS may be there some day but for now it is a feable attempt.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:13 PM   #8
DoomBringer

Model: 7280
Carrier: cingular, no wait, AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm
Out of the box the MS "Push" is nothing like a BES. Additonal servers are required for remote wipe capability, remote device lock, password, content protection, etc, etc. MS may be there some day but for now it is a feable attempt.
You have a source for that? I'd like to see some MSFT docs on the issue myself.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:48 PM   #9
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

PM me with your Email and I can send you the presentation I have regarding the extra servers required. These aren't required for the "push" solution - just required to make the solution similiar to a BES.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #10
BioHazardx

Model: 8700r

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this development. I think MS's efforts for push email are a bigger threat to BB than NTP was.

+ They aren't going away, they are licensing their OS to anyone
+ They have released a mobile .NET SDK that will grow the number of developers using it.
+ Its an interface that many non-techies are comfortable with
+ Carriers don't have to do any special provisioning. The data is the data (i get push now as I put a hacked ROM on my 8125. Cingular has no idea and does nothing different to get data to that device as they do to get data to a RAZR or non-windows handset.
+ Handset prices are coming down - some estimate that the Q will be $50 after carrier subsidies by the end of the year.
+ Push is enabled on 2003 accounts by default - so the IT department doesn't have to maintain seperate servers, licenses etc for BB BES

MS may not have it totally figured out (yet) and the Q or the upcoming Samsung SGH-320i may not be BB killers - but they aren't going away - WinMobile 6.0 is under development - Palm is releasing at least 1 more WinMobile device this year.

I just hope that RIM is not a quick to dismiss MS's "feeble" attempt as some on this forum. It's just strike 1 and they are still at bat.....
Old 06-16-2006, 10:24 AM   #11
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: At&T

I don't think any one is discounting MS's power. But seeing how far WM has gotten and it still misses with a stable OS (typical to MS OS history) it will take them time and by then it would do them more harm with the business community which they are after than good. Remembver the business community is not as forgiving as the regular consumer. We also have to wait and see what RIM will counter with which in my opnion is more main stream units to go head to head with the styles of the WM units. As a busines owner I am more apt to choose what works even at a cost than take something that hampers my business because it is free for now.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:38 AM   #12
strobate
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

Well, Microsoft needs . . . how many tries to get a workable product?

I think there's a conflict of interest with Microsoft, wanting to re-create (and add value to) its desktop UI. A handheld is not a normal-size computer shrunk down to a handheld device, and the OS should reflect this. Features needed for usability vary.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:00 PM   #13
Good_Guy

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
So the carriers actually are getting into the provisioning game for this? Absolutely hilarious. I wonder what the differences between it and a normal data plan will be? Hell, if thats anywhere near the BlackBerry data plans ($49.99/mo for Cingular), then there goes one advantage of Direct Push right out the door.
Looks like Cingulars MSFT Data plan is $29.99 for Smartphone (2125) and $49.95 for PDA Connect (8125).

http://www.cingular.com/sbusiness/data_connect
Old 06-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #14
noeffectx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: 123456
Carrier: T-mobile

a little competition is good, rim/US carriers might lower the bis/bes data plan.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/blackberry/
Old 06-20-2006, 05:43 PM   #15
HuwSy

Model: 9800
PIN: .
Carrier: Orange

then maybe il eventually get data
Closed Thread