BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Should I switch back to blackberry and is the storm worth?
Yes 54 57.45%
No 22 23.40%
Maybe 18 19.15%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:10 AM   #1
BBJunkie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Curve
PIN: No thankyou
Carrier: AT&T
Default I-Phone vs Storm

Please Login to Remove!

So I currently have the I-phone but previously was a blackberry user for many years. I still miss blackberry but the I-phone does have some great features which I just don't think the storm will match. But I still do miss the blackberry...

Should I switch back to blackberry and is the storm worth?
Old 11-18-2008, 07:02 AM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

There is a Vodophone stickie. It seems that the info is mixed. Then again, the vzw users will see their device in a few days where all of our questions can be answered.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
JRUNCK
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

The storm is just another wannabe I-phone killer. Get the real thing because it won't be able to match the apps on the I-phone. I wish RIM could come up with their own idea and use that instead of copying the I-phone. It's like all these theme creators copying each others Bold and I-phone/Mac OS themes it never works so why get an imitation when you can buy the real thing. If you want a Blackberry for what a Blackberry does well then get a Blackberry but if you want an I-phone get the real deal.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
Sparro

Model: 9530
Carrier: TELUS

^^^ hahaha.... Thats the funniest thing I've heard all day!!! hahaha....
RIM is copying Apple... hahaha.... give me a break...
Old 11-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #5
JRUNCK

Good point the Storm doesn't look anything like an I-Phone at all does it. Apple should thank RIM for coming up with that design.

Last edited by JRUNCK; 11-19-2008 at 11:27 AM..
Old 11-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRUNCK View Post
The storm is just another wannabe I-phone killer. Get the real thing because it won't be able to match the apps on the I-phone. I wish RIM could come up with their own idea and use that instead of copying the I-phone. It's like all these theme creators copying each others Bold and I-phone/Mac OS themes it never works so why get an imitation when you can buy the real thing. If you want a Blackberry for what a Blackberry does well then get a Blackberry but if you want an I-phone get the real deal.
The OP already has an iPhone... not sure what you were going for here in hating on RIM for simply marketing a device to consumers based on what consumers currently like in phones.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
JRUNCK

I guess I'm just a playa hater, boo hoo :(. Either that or I just like to point out a gimmick when I see one.

Last edited by JRUNCK; 11-19-2008 at 03:14 PM..
Old 11-19-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
jnyost

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
That's hilarious!!!!

I guess the real question is whether you want a toy or a workhorse. If you want an iPod toy then keep you iPhone. If you want a device that excels as a phone and business device then get a Blackberry.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
fairbornstorm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: verizon

only thing stopping me from getting an iphone 3g is all the reviews ive read on dropped calls and i dont think i could handle that aggrivation
Old 11-20-2008, 10:57 AM   #10
fairbornstorm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9500
Carrier: verizon

i have a G1 right now which i plan on keeping due to the android platform and what it can become, i need something that is going to send and receive MMS which my G1 is not doing right now besides to other tmobile users, im stuck between the bold and the storm, i like verizon, i had a data card for my laptop thru them and the coverage was great, im assuming their phone coverage is good also, have never had a phone thru verizon, anyone want to comment on at&t coverage vs verizon, also im a truck driver that travels mostly the midwest states oh,mi,il,in,pa,iowa, ect
Old 11-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #11
cdw5510
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Dude, you a BB user however you love the I-Phone. Take a hike and go do soemthing with the I-Phone which is not the best device in the world. It for people who think they are cool in my head. BB got the device right and I-Phone should stick with what they know personal use and not get into the corporate world where BB lives.

And STFU.

Quote:
I guess I'm just a playa hater, boo hoo :(. Either that or I just like to point out a gimmick when I see one.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:46 PM   #12
strike2tamu
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900

Such hostility over a device not even released in the U.S. yet...I assume this device will be like the iPhone when it came out and get a few upgrades as the flaws come out...the iPhone sucked when it was first released...and well the 3g one still pretty much sucks with the worst battery life ever on a mobile device...but the bugs will take time to be worked out...end.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #13
4Runner

Model: 8830
Carrier: Alltel

for pure texting nothing beats my good old 8700c. I have an 8830 now and an iPhone and both have a place. Battery life on the 3G is perfectly fine and bests most if not all other 3g smart phones and certainly is far from xxx8220;sucksxxx8221;. Please.
OP - just like the iPhone isn't a BB, the Storm doesn't appear to be an iPhone either. If you are comparing touch screens only, I think the iPhone is going to be hard to beat. The iPhone is clearly the touch screen leader and when it first came out last year, no one thought it would succeed b/c of xxx8220;no keyboardxxx8221;...fast forward 10mm + iPhones to today and it seems like everyone is coming out with at least one touch screen. If you just want email and texts stick with a a nice full qwerty BB. Touch screens arenxxx8217;t for everyone but if that is what you like, keep your iPhone. At least wait until the Storm comes with WiFi. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2008, 02:51 PM   #14
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike2tamu View Post
Such hostility over a device not even released in the U.S. yet...I assume this device will be like the iPhone when it came out and get a few upgrades as the flaws come out...the iPhone sucked when it was first released...and well the 3g one still pretty much sucks with the worst battery life ever on a mobile device...but the bugs will take time to be worked out...end.
Agreed.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:55 PM   #15
strike2tamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post
for pure texting nothing beats my good old 8700c. I have an 8830 now and an iPhone and both have a place. Battery life on the 3G is perfectly fine and bests most if not all other 3g smart phones and certainly is far from “sucks”. Please.
OP - just like the iPhone isn't a BB, the Storm doesn't appear to be an iPhone either. If you are comparing touch screens only, I think the iPhone is going to be hard to beat. The iPhone is clearly the touch screen leader and when it first came out last year, no one thought it would succeed b/c of “no keyboard”...fast forward 10mm + iPhones to today and it seems like everyone is coming out with at least one touch screen. If you just want email and texts stick with a a nice full qwerty BB. Touch screens aren’t for everyone but if that is what you like, keep your iPhone. At least wait until the Storm comes with WiFi. Good luck!
Clearly...its not the best 3g battery life...and it does suck to have to charge your phone everyday...and the iphone 3g falls into that category if you use it. I have an ipod touch that has to be charged everyday...and it doesnt use 3g, but wifi...the phone and the mp3 from apple are power hogs.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:01 PM   #16
BR14

Model: 8820
Carrier: Various

Makes me smile when people rattle on about the iPhone being new.

Touch screen PDA's have been around for years. I bought my first one in 2000 and I think Apple may even have had one before that.

To build something as complex as the Storm takes several years of design. They didn't just start working on the concept because Apple released the iPhone.

As it happens, the Storm has significantly better design technically, including way more features, but Apple is brilliant at presentation and marketing.

Truth is that neither device comes close to the function of a Bold, but they both look good.

If thats what you want, stick with the iPhone. If you want a touch screen that does email well, has a removable (and therefore replaceable) battery, cut and paste, SD card etc etc. then get the Storm.

They're different devices for different markets with a similar look and feel.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #17
4Runner

Default I agree partially

Quote:
Originally Posted by strike2tamu View Post
Clearly...its not the best 3g battery life...and it does suck to have to charge your phone everyday...and the iphone 3g falls into that category if you use it. I have an ipod touch that has to be charged everyday...and it doesnt use 3g, but wifi...the phone and the mp3 from apple are power hogs.

Close - I posted that it is "one of the best 3g smartphones" in terms of battery life. It actually performed the best in the test I read late summer, but I assumed things change over time so I chose to use the word “one" of the best. Maybe it was comparing only touch screens too. Can't remember but not important. You are correct on the daily charge, but I do that with my 8830 too and have always done that...not that I need to but my routine is to charge every night once I get home so that is not an issue for me. 3G is power hungry so that is what it is. WiFi makes a difference but still, with use you must prepare for nightly charge. I would imagine the Storm will be in the same boat. As technology gets better this will improve. Again, daily charge is routine so not that important to me.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #18
strike2tamu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Runner View Post
Close - I posted that it is "one of the best 3g smartphones" in terms of battery life. It actually performed the best in the test I read late summer, but I assumed things change over time so I chose to use the word “one" of the best. Maybe it was comparing only touch screens too. Can't remember but not important. You are correct on the daily charge, but I do that with my 8830 too and have always done that...not that I need to but my routine is to charge every night once I get home so that is not an issue for me. 3G is power hungry so that is what it is. WiFi makes a difference but still, with use you must prepare for nightly charge. I would imagine the Storm will be in the same boat. As technology gets better this will improve. Again, daily charge is routine so not that important to me.
Daily charging is the deal breaker for me, I go up to 3 sometimes 4 days without charging my 8100. Should be interesting to see what the storm reviews get now that its officially out at Verizon.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:44 AM   #19
4Runner

Default More rattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR14 View Post
Makes me smile when people rattle on about the iPhone being new.

Touch screen PDA's have been around for years. I bought my first one in 2000 and I think Apple may even have had one before that.

To build something as complex as the Storm takes several years of design. They didn't just start working on the concept because Apple released the iPhone.

As it happens, the Storm has significantly better design technically, including way more features, but Apple is brilliant at presentation and marketing.

Truth is that neither device comes close to the function of a Bold, but they both look good.

If thats what you want, stick with the iPhone. If you want a touch screen that does email well, has a removable (and therefore replaceable) battery, cut and paste, SD card etc etc. then get the Storm.

They're different devices for different markets with a similar look and feel.

You are correct, a new device does take a long time to bring to market. I’m sure the Storm, or Thunder in the initial phase, was in R&D for a couple of years too. Apple worked with AT&T (Cingular at the time) for 2 years before the initial release. Also, certainly Apple didn’t invent the touch screen as they have been around for a while…Apple just seems to have knack for successfully bringing it to market. They did the same with the mouse by bringing it to market first. It seems everyone sat back last year and waited to see how the market would accept the iPhone and touch screens before they really jumped in….just like the iPod. MS called digital music and iPods a fad and of course we see how wrong that was. Now that Apple has gained significant market share with one touch screen device, others are now reacting and bringing their touch screen devices to market. Although touch screens aren’t new, success in the consumer market place is and that is what I was referring to. I’m fairly certain if the iPhone failed miserably we would not see this rush to market with touch screen devices we are seeing now.

Talk about a smile… “the Storm has significantly better design technically, including way more features…” u been drinking the RIM Kool-Aid? Certainly there are pros and cons to each device but the true value of each is not absolute and will be judged/determined based on individual preferences. For example, I will easily give up copy and paste, removable battery and a memory card for WiFi. I didn’t realize the importance of WiFi until I had it…that alone would cause me to wait for the Storm 2. Similarly, I didn’t get the original iPhone b/c of the lack of 3G. Just sat back and waited. Some might have to choose the device based on network, if V is no good in your hometown no need to get a Storm, same holds true for AT&T and the iPhone. People say AT&T has terrible coverage in their area and then they complain about the iPhone??? Makes no sense to me. Each person will have to weigh the differences between the devices on their own.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #20
jnyost

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

I can't 2 days without charging any of the phones I own. I guess I must just use mine more.

Wifi isn't a deal breaker either. I never use wifi on my iTouch so doubt I would use it on the phone. Most places I go don't have wifi.

Touch screens are still coming out even though the iFadPhone bombed. It still doesn't have much market share. Hell they had to give the last one away. I have a couple guys I support that have iPhones and I hate when they call. The voice quality sucks. I make them call me back on a landline.
Closed Thread