Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
kenjancef
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint
Default MAPI question on new BES Professional Express install

Please Login to Remove!

I just finished installing BES Pro 4.1.4 on my server, specs are Windows 2003 Server R2, Exchange 2003 SP2. I installed BES Pro on the same server as Exchange.

The question I have is: I am logged into my server as "Administrator". When I opened BES Manager for the first time, it asked me to create a MAPI profile, so I told it to use the "besadmin" account, and the Check Name worked. But now I get a MAPI error every time I open BES Manager saying that the MAPI profile doesn't work and I can't send emails.

So, my question is: Should I be logged on to my server as "besadmin" when doing maintenance for the Blackberry? Or, should I stay logged on as "Administrator" and somehow recreate the MAPI profile to use the "Administrator" account? If I can do that, how do I delete the current MAPI profile so I can create a new one?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Ken
Old 04-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjancef View Post
I just finished installing BES Pro 4.1.4 on my server, specs are Windows 2003 Server R2, Exchange 2003 SP2. I installed BES Pro on the same server as Exchange.

The question I have is: I am logged into my server as "Administrator". When I opened BES Manager for the first time, it asked me to create a MAPI profile, so I told it to use the "besadmin" account, and the Check Name worked. But now I get a MAPI error every time I open BES Manager saying that the MAPI profile doesn't work and I can't send emails.

So, my question is: Should I be logged on to my server as "besadmin" when doing maintenance for the Blackberry? Or, should I stay logged on as "Administrator" and somehow recreate the MAPI profile to use the "Administrator" account? If I can do that, how do I delete the current MAPI profile so I can create a new one?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Ken
You should be logged in as besadmin. The error you're getting is because administrator cannot access besadmin's mailbox. (which is a good thing )
Old 04-09-2008, 09:44 AM   #3
kenjancef
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for the quick reply!

I hate to repeat what you just said, but just want to make sure I do it right.

I will have no problem logging on as "besadmin" to do my Blackberry stuff, and then logging off and logging back on as "Administrator" for daily stuff, right?

Another stupid question then: If I keep my server logged on as "Administrator", I would assume that the Blackberry services and such will operate ok, in other words, I can stay logged on as "Administrator", right?

The reason I ask is that this setup is in my home, but I want to implement this same setup (BES Pro) on a few servers for my clients (I am a computer consultant). I just want to get this right before messing up other people!!

Thanks again!

Ken

Last edited by kenjancef; 04-09-2008 at 09:45 AM..
Old 04-09-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply!

Quote:
I hate to repeat what you just said, but just want to make sure I do it right.
Better safe than sorry

Quote:
I will have no problem logging on as "besadmin" to do my Blackberry stuff, and then logging off and logging back on as "Administrator" for daily stuff, right?
Correct.

Quote:
Another stupid question then: If I keep my server logged on as "Administrator", I would assume that the Blackberry services and such will operate ok, in other words, I can stay logged on as "Administrator", right?
Not stupid at all ... some services require that user to be logged in. In the case of BES and all BES services you can be logged in as whoever you want and they'll continue to operate as normally. I always login to a server as my administrative account and then if I need to do something BES specific I either use a role with access in BES or I use BES Admin.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
kenjancef
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks hdawg!! I have a few clients that can't afford to have separate servers, so I am glad that RIM decided to have a version of BES that will run on the same server as Exchange. Actually, only about 25% of my clients would use a separate server, all of the others run single servers with Exchange running.

I do also get various errors in my Event Log having to do with DB...something and errors about a BIPP shared secret, will have to research those.

Thanks again!!!!!

Ken
Closed Thread