Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 08:37 AM   #1
strobate
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g
Default Multimedia BlackBerry

Please Login to Remove!

From BBCool:

CNET is reporting that in conversation with RIM CEO Mike Lazaridis, he shed some light on the imminent multimedia-focused BlackBerry we discussed yesterday. Apparently, it will be the first in a line of “Prosumer” and “Lifestyle” focused BlackBerrys. These new BlackBerrys will feature improved multimedia performance (we’ve gotten word from our sources that this means stereo sound, better frames per second and possible better video resolution), expandable memory, Wi-Fi, integrated GPS and a smaller, lighter design. Lazaridis hinted at a built-in camera, but would not confirm.

Interestingly, Lazaridis also commented on CNET’s earlier reports that the BlackBerry 8700 was a weak multimedia device. Lazaridis revealed that the 8700’s Intel PCA901 processor was more than capable of providing better audio and video, but had been held in check to ensure “stability and reliability.” Apparently, v4.2 of the BlackBerry OS will unlock these dormant features and dramatically increase audio/video performance on Intel-based BlackBerrys (of which the 8700 is currently the only one).

These statements might lead one to believe that RIM’s upcoming 8707 BlackBerry could be the first of their new multimedia devices. However, it has been more or less confirmed by RIM officials that the 8707 will only differ from its cousin in terms of providing UMTS 3G support.

Although people have known about an upcoming multimedia BlackBerry for awhile, this is obviously big-time news. Please post a comment on the new ‘confirmed’ features and let us know what you like, and maybe what you think is being left out.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
g1no
Thumbs Must Hurt

and now for the extended wait to have the pleasure of a 100% multimedia BB
Old 05-20-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
Aryx1

Model: 8320
Carrier: Rogers

It's official, at least for ppl who work for RIM, there are trial runs in manufact. for the 8700 which has camera AND removable mem. Expected to be released last quarter of this year.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:55 AM   #4
jungleland
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: BOLD
Carrier: At&t

I posted this about 2 weeks ago...
Old 05-20-2006, 11:56 AM   #5
Seattle18

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryx1
It's official, at least for ppl who work for RIM, there are trial runs in manufact. for the 8700 which has camera AND removable mem. Expected to be released last quarter of this year.
Camera I could do without - until they make one with 5 mega pixels and a Carl Zeiss lens! Until then, I'll stick with my Canon. As for removeable memory, I only want that if there is a media player built in for MP3 and video playback...any "official" info on that?
Old 05-20-2006, 12:27 PM   #6
Soapm

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobate
These new BlackBerrys will feature improved multimedia performance (we’ve gotten word from our sources that this means stereo sound, better frames per second and possible better video resolution), expandable memory, Wi-Fi, integrated GPS and a smaller, lighter design. Lazaridis hinted at a built-in camera, but would not confirm..
Improved multimedia, improved over what?

Better fremes per second, better than what?
Old 05-20-2006, 12:50 PM   #7
strobate
Thumbs Must Hurt

Almost certainly the forthcoming streaming players for the 8700 series.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:47 PM   #8
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Not surprising -- RIM had to succumb to the pressure of growth. I'm happy for the addition of more multimedia features. Bring them on! I'm surprised they didn't announce a separate consumer label for the multimedia BlackBerry models though --"BerryMedia" or whatever -- or they might even be about to.

The removable memory will be great for me! Camera, I can do without although I would definitely adapt to it for spontaneous photos (i.e. photo of an ad, making a copy of a shopping list, snapping a "FOR SALE" sign, etc).

No doubt, these will be lockdownable by BES -- remotely disable the camera and memory slot, or use fully encrypted memory coded only to function with that specific BlackBerry (so that info can't be stolen). They've no doubt thought long and hard about security implications before this.

The 8700 most definitely has the CPU horsepower to playback video and MP3 -- I would imagine OS 4.2 would make programming media players very pratical on the 8700.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Closed Thread