Old 06-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
dtolsma

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange Spain
Default HELP BB9700 black screen, red blinking light, 4 months old, no warranty

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,
I have been fighting for months with my carrier (Orange Spain ) because one day my BB 9700 died and would not start up again. I sent it in for repair and they refuse to say anything but: you must have dropped it which excludes it from warranty. It is irreparable. I did not drop it but they won't budge. Anyway, thinking my 4 month old BB was lost anyway I looked through all the forums to see if I could try something myself. I have not found it. Desktop Software says cannot connect and through forums I found a solution to start application loader to see if I could get it to start.
-BBSAK can't find it
-JL_Cmder does nothing when I try to wipe
-I have followed the suggestion to go to Apploader through c:\ and managed to get so far that I can click Update software. It starts but then hangs every time at initializing -> reconnecting to JVM
- I have also uninstalled and reinstalled desktop software and took out registry keys, same result.
Soooo, I guess my BB can be been officially declared dead.
My questions to all of you here:

-Does anyone know if I can send my BB straight to Research in Motion, I really did not drop it.
-Does anyone know of another thing I can try to revive it?
-Does anyone know what the problem could be with this phone and what it would cost to have it fixed if I would pay for it.I feel really bad to recycle an expensive phone that literally has NO scratch on it, it looks brand new.
Thank you !
Diana

Last edited by dtolsma; 06-05-2011 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: typo's...
Old 06-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: HELP BB9700 black screen, red blinking light, 4 months old, no warranty

Bad batteries can cause a variety of problems including inability to reboot and inability to connect to a computer. Try borrowing a fully charged battery from your local shop and see if you have any luck.

You can also try this: What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ

RIM doesn't handle any support. It's all done through the carriers.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
dtolsma

Default Re: HELP BB9700 black screen, red blinking light, 4 months old, no warranty

Thanks for your reply, we have 2 more BB9700 in the house so I tried the battery-swap and also found the link to what to do next if JlCmder will not connect and wipe, same outcome... It may be really fried... Would it be worth it though to have it fixed and pay for it or would that cost the same as a new one?
Old 06-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Usually a major repair costs too much to be worth it, and you can never really be sure the repairs will last. Try leaving the BlackBerry in a sealed container of uncooked rice for several days, preferably in a warm (but not hot) place. If it doesn't come back to life after that it is probably time to replace it.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:06 AM   #5
dtolsma

I will definitely try that, but may I please run something else by you, the strangest thing happened when I tried the apploader thing again but now WITH the battery inserted (I did this the first times but when nothing worked on a forum I found that I should connect to the computer without the battery). And it loaded the software, and did not hang at reconnecting to JVM. An orange and green light was flashing and nothing happen ed. I left the phone charging all night and this morning it had a (still black) screen and a steady green light. I connected it to my computer and the computer recognized it. I loaded JL_Cmder and took a screenshot. It was asking for my PIN!!! I entered the pin and took another screenshot and apart from the screen being black it seems to be working...
Do you have any suggestions on what to do now? Should I wipe and reinstall to see if that solves anything (screen always worked, even right before BB died I had a white screen) or should I just run to the nearest repair shop or is there anything else you can think of?
Thanks again for your time!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp screenshot bb9700.bmp (408.0 KB, 243 views)

Last edited by dtolsma; 06-06-2011 at 01:13 AM..
Old 06-06-2011, 02:53 AM   #6
dtolsma

Latest update: when plugged in with wall charger there is a constant (non-blinking) green light, I will look through the forums if anyone else has had this
Old 06-06-2011, 05:39 AM   #7
dtolsma

Latest latest update... I could connect apploader and added some stuff just to see if it would, update completed without problem and I still had a black screen but phone seemed to start up (see screenshot attached above). Thought I'd wipe with JL_Cmder and start from scratch but after that the phone is not even recognized by my computer anymore. I give up, what a waste of a (practically) new phone..
Closed Thread