Old 09-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
kalinka
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT and verizon
Default underwhelmed

Please Login to Remove!

I have been pretty much a die hard bb user, had 2 of the Curves, one on Verizon and one on ATT. My work phone suddenly died. None of the buttons would work out of nowhere and i rushed to ATT and picked up the Torch.

I realize that there is a learning curve here with the touch screen and the new OS... but so far I am not thrilled. The first issue is that it is nowhere near as intuitive. I picked up my first blackberry with never having had a PDA (original pearl) and it just was so logical. I went through the tutorial and that was it. A pleasure to use, it simplified and organized my life in a way.

This thing is just not doing that. This is a business phone. Main thing i need is a phone for heavy call volume, heavy text use, heavy email use and a browser.

MUTE KEY.. continually gets pressed in a call by either my cheek or by the holster, only way out is to lock the screen on each call. That is a pain in the butt.

TEXT... does not open the most recent text. I have to scroll to get to it. Another pain in the butt.

Email seems to be just fine.

Keyboard, not bad, a little thin in the hand due to the slider.. Im ok with that. Touch screen.. Maybe i just don't like those period. Its not as accurate as other touch screens and i find that the touch pad works better.

Screen.. I like the size of it. Resolution is somewhat of a mystery to me but its workable.

Browser.. MUCH better than the Curve.

Perhaps this was just not the best choice for a work horse phone. I liked the first Bold but its not around any more.
I am going to give this a week to see how it does with heavy call volume. Not loving the new Curve nor the new Bold so I'm not certain what to move to. Maybe it will grow on me.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
tbird57
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: OU812
Carrier: AT$T/Choked

All that you mentioned, phone calls,txt,and emailing are the best features on the device!
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by tbird57; 09-18-2010 at 11:36 AM..
Old 09-18-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Please update your profile to indicate the new device.

Many of the problems you mention are not unexpected when one buys the first release of a new device, a new technology (the slider for BB) and a new OS, all rolled into the same device. Try installing a newer OS.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 09-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #4
kalinka
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird57 View Post
All that you mentioned, phone calls,txt,and emailing are the best features on the device!
You are right but the text is really strange... why it would not bring you to the last post by the sender makes no sense and why the mute button is placed where it is makes no sense.. All of a sudden the caller starts saying "HELLO?? HELLO???" That is just plain silly and if you are on an important call it is unacceptable.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
kalinka
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Please update your profile to indicate the new device.

Many of the problems you mention are not unexpected when one buys the first release of a new device, a new technology (the slider for BB) and a new OS, all rolled into the same device. Try installing a newer OS.
Dub I still have the one posted, not sure how to add another one to the profile. I have only had the Torch for a few days, wouldn't that have the newer OS?
Old 09-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Are you keeping the 9800? If so, make the change please.

I think the 9800 ships with .141. The latest are .161, .214 and .225. Which does yours have? It would not necessarily ship with the latest. Depends on how long it sat in the warehouse.

-->>Twitter

Old 09-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
kalinka
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Are you keeping the 9800? If so, make the change please.

I think the 9800 ships with .141. The latest are .161, .214 and .225. Which does yours have? It would not necessarily ship with the latest. Depends on how long it sat in the warehouse.
Hmmm 6.0 bundle 278 v6.0.0.141, not sure how to update the OS. Is it gonna make me sweat to do that? They jury is still out on if i will keep it. I need to have a few busy work days to see if it works for me. I got it in front of the weekend so I could get my bearings.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

See the yellow sticky at the top of the 9800 section (and at the top of every model specific section of the forum) for the latest OS and the instructions.

If you aren't planning on keeping it or if you aren't sure if you will or not, then I wouldn't do the upgrade.

-->>Twitter

Old 09-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #9
rdef
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: ATT

I'll alert the media.

OP: haven't you read ANYTHING in this forum?
Old 09-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
AZsteelman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

Huh, I don't ever have the mute problem, and I just tried it again to see if it would even by mistake! Nothing...maybe something is wrong with your proximity sensor - my phone screen goes black when I'm talking on it...also, the later version .214 fixed the text message issue you have now with it not opening at the latest text message...perhaps the later OS also fixed the mute problem?
Old 09-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
TVDinner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinka View Post
I have been pretty much a die hard bb user, had 2 of the Curves, one on Verizon and one on ATT. My work phone suddenly died. None of the buttons would work out of nowhere and i rushed to ATT and picked up the Torch.

I realize that there is a learning curve here with the touch screen and the new OS... but so far I am not thrilled. The first issue is that it is nowhere near as intuitive. I picked up my first blackberry with never having had a PDA (original pearl) and it just was so logical. I went through the tutorial and that was it. A pleasure to use, it simplified and organized my life in a way.

This thing is just not doing that. This is a business phone. Main thing i need is a phone for heavy call volume, heavy text use, heavy email use and a browser.

MUTE KEY.. continually gets pressed in a call by either my cheek or by the holster, only way out is to lock the screen on each call. That is a pain in the butt.

TEXT... does not open the most recent text. I have to scroll to get to it. Another pain in the butt.

Email seems to be just fine.

Keyboard, not bad, a little thin in the hand due to the slider.. Im ok with that. Touch screen.. Maybe i just don't like those period. Its not as accurate as other touch screens and i find that the touch pad works better.

Screen.. I like the size of it. Resolution is somewhat of a mystery to me but its workable.

Browser.. MUCH better than the Curve.

Perhaps this was just not the best choice for a work horse phone. I liked the first Bold but its not around any more.
I am going to give this a week to see how it does with heavy call volume. Not loving the new Curve nor the new Bold so I'm not certain what to move to. Maybe it will grow on me.
Upgrade your operating system and the entire phone literally jumps into a different level of great. I was a little underwhelmed also, but since upgrading the phone is fast and incredible.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #12
SmoothOperator

Model: Class

Dude, try downgrading to the 9700. Sounds like the device you need. Is it available on your carrier?
Old 09-22-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
rontiu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT Wireless

i agree with SmoothOperator, I wonder if the Torch will ever make it for you. I love my previous 9700, it was the best productive BB i had so far, and if upgrading to the latest OS it was quite the work horse for everything you listed.

The Torch in my opinion is a glorified toy, trying to find its usability and tweaking to evolve into the next generation BB....I am still learning to like it....too late for me to jump to something else...and I stay with ATT....lol
Old 09-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #14
kalinka
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontiu View Post
i agree with SmoothOperator, I wonder if the Torch will ever make it for you. I love my previous 9700, it was the best productive BB i had so far, and if upgrading to the latest OS it was quite the work horse for everything you listed.

The Torch in my opinion is a glorified toy, trying to find its usability and tweaking to evolve into the next generation BB....I am still learning to like it....too late for me to jump to something else...and I stay with ATT....lol

There are parts of it that I like; primarily the big screen and the browser is more usable but everything takes twice as long to do. I am giving it time but it only took me a day to really move quickly on the curve. I may go and get the bold but I really really want to try to like it. I think the most telling part is that I have all the apps hidden. I don't use them. I use email, text, phone and browser. The rest is really not useful for my work day... i also like the way it handles conference calls. It needs some tweaking, that is for sure. Its buggy.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #15
Mandel

Model: 9981
Carrier: Orange FR & Etisalat AE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinka View Post
There are parts of it that I like; primarily the big screen and the browser is more usable but everything takes twice as long to do. I am giving it time but it only took me a day to really move quickly on the curve. I may go and get the bold but I really really want to try to like it. I think the most telling part is that I have all the apps hidden. I don't use them. I use email, text, phone and browser. The rest is really not useful for my work day... i also like the way it handles conference calls. It needs some tweaking, that is for sure. Its buggy.
The 9800 has some bugs, but as quoted earlier, it is a new form factor and a new OS...

I was frustrated with my unit the first few days. After a couple of days of use an OS upgrade, I wouldn't give it up for anything. I think it is a wonderful unit, and with the combination of the large touch screen the pointing device and the keyboard, no one else offers such a smart combination.

Your original posting is a week old. If by now you're still not satisfied with your unit then upgrade the OS, as it solves many of the issues you mention, or move to another device, such as the 9700.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #16
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Model: PRIV
Carrier: Rogers

Sorry to nag.... but a "Die Hard" BB user and you are unaware of how to update your OS?
Old 09-25-2010, 07:42 AM   #17
kalinka
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Sorry to nag.... but a "Die Hard" BB user and you are unaware of how to update your OS?
Yea... lets call it a girl thing. I think i did it on my curve once but there was some sort of SNAFU and they ended up having to give me a new phone. Not sure what the issue was, maybe i did something wrong, I also tried to reload windows once on my lap top and it was never the same so i have a mental block about doing it.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:52 AM   #18
Mandel

Model: 9981
Carrier: Orange FR & Etisalat AE

[ntrcQUOTE=Cooper;1658315]Sorry to nag.... but a "Die Hard" BB user and you are unaware of how to update your OS?[/QUOTE]

I too resisted asking the same question... Sorry to say, but I also find a lot of contradictions in Kalinka's posts.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:20 AM   #19
tbird57
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: OU812
Carrier: AT$T/Choked

I must say I've been on .246 for almost a week..using wifi without any issues, I am very pleased with this build,the updates are moving forward for me now!

Old 09-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #20
jDMJeRk
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Quote:
See the yellow sticky at the top of the 9800 section (and at the top of every model specific section of the forum) for the latest OS and the instructions.

If you aren't planning on keeping it or if you aren't sure if you will or not, then I wouldn't do the upgrade.
The upgrade on the top of the page is for .141 which is what is on my phone but you state their are newer versions? How do I get them?

I'm missing something here. Its not my first time updating an OS either... I'm confused lol Any help DubDub
Closed Thread