Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
DAHFreedom

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default problem with Bold keyboard

Please Login to Remove!

Problem just started today. My phone didn't get wet and I haven't dropped it recently.

A few of the buttons on my keyboard are entering nonsense. My END key enders the letters nm, my SEND key enters the letters "jk", my A key enters "ou," and my center button enters "hl".

I tried to wipe the phone, but that means I have to enter the word "blackberry" to confirm, which has an A in it (and you can't copy/paste).

Any ideas?
Old 03-15-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
hwel2

Carrier: AT&T

BlackBerry Bold 9000
AT&T
4.6.0.304/Platform 4.0.0.247
PIN: 249F5C2D

Yesterday, I noticed that suddenly the Send (Green), End (Red), and "A"/* keys and the trackball click all stopped functioning. All other keys operate normally (and the trackball scrolls fine), but this is an exceptionally annoying problem. I can't believe it's hardware related, unless these keys all are somehow linked. That being said, I've tried numerous battery pulls, upgraded & downgraded the OS ( between the AT&T-approved .297 & .304, I believe) - and so far nothing on the software end.

The moisture indicators are white, and it hasn't been any closer to moisture then in my pocket during a rainstorm. This problem came on suddenly; I did, one other time, have issue with only the trackball click about a year ago, but that mischievously disappeared by itself after my brain melted in search of a solution.

I've searched around & seen many others with similar problems - but there are no causes given or solutions told of. I don't really want to take this damn thing apart, but it's running up on that real quick. My AT&T contract is up in a month, and I'm unwilling to spend $100+ dollars on a refurb replacement model via my protection plan so close to renewal.

ANY ideas what's causing this problem? Anyone with ideas, please feel free to respond or BBM me - PIN supplied above.

ht tp://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Bold-BlackBerry-9000/Buttons-stopped-working/td-p/258756
ht tp://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=418715

Last edited by hwel2; 03-15-2010 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: spaces to avoid the restriction on posting links; circumvented for relevance. 2nd edit for more complete message.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:21 AM   #3
hwel2

Carrier: AT&T

I've since taken the phone apart & cleaned it thoroughly, including even under the little white membrane bit over the keyboard contacts. I've upgraded to OS 5.0.0.509 - which is gorgeous, btw - while wiping ALL data off the BB - and I only moved my contacts/calendar/messages back over manually after the reinstall.

Still the same problem. I'm satisfied it's not software problems, and I feel reasonably certain that the hardware couldn't fail so randomly and with such particular keys affected. There must be some setting somewhere that has survived the hell of screwdrivers and OS's that is just seeking me out.

Anyway, anyone with any ideas -- please give me them. I'm ready to try anything.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

It doesn't need to get wet. A steamy shower room, a sweaty pocket in a warm day or your gym bag after a workout is good enough to destroy it. trust me, i've been through a few.
Random chars on key press, buttons not working and that erratic display of characters is almost 80% of the time moisture/water damage, the other 19% is drops.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
amorous007

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO
Default Clean under the trackball

A lot of people seem to have the exact set of problematic keys

I cleaned the area on mainboard under where the trackball sits with q-tip and rubbing alcohol. It had accumulated a lot of dirt in there

And problem is gone ( as of now) and hoping for the best !!!
Old 03-21-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
tekpc81

Carrier: ATT

I had the same issues and the fix described by amorous007 worked for me too. Thanks.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #7
ishsan

Model: 9700
Carrier: S/W Developer

Hi
I am working on version 4.5 to make custom application for video recording .
Is it possible to make this application ?
please reply soon.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

Wirelessly posted

Hi ishsan,
Please read the forum FAQ and the rules before posting. You just highjacked a thread to post something irrelevant to the topic. Thanks
Old 04-06-2010, 06:16 AM   #9
skyo78

Carrier: o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAHFreedom View Post
Problem just started today. My phone didn't get wet and I haven't dropped it recently.

A few of the buttons on my keyboard are entering nonsense. My END key enders the letters nm, my SEND key enters the letters "jk", my A key enters "ou," and my center button enters "hl".

I tried to wipe the phone, but that means I have to enter the word "blackberry" to confirm, which has an A in it (and you can't copy/paste).

Any ideas?
I'm having the exact same problem, with the same letters coming up when I press the END, SEND and center (trackball) buttons/keys.

Were you able to get a fix for this, I have opened up my BB and wiped the/cleaned the insides with cotton bud and alcohol but its still not working
Old 04-24-2010, 04:02 AM   #10
Michael Rothschild

Carrier: N.A

Hi, this problem can sometimes be caused by moisture damage. Try checking for a moisture damage by taking off the housing and checking the water damage indicator. Look for a small 1/8" square sticker. This should be white. If there is moisture damage then the color might be pinkish or reddish.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
nancytran

PIN: 20E31D22
Carrier: Rogers

has anybody solved this problem yet? the exact same thing is happening to me and my blackberry is locked, i cannot type my password nor can i type "blackberry" to do a handheld wipe because it has a letter "A" in the word.

i've disassembled the phone and cleaned the keyboard and board under the trackball with a q-tip along with some rubbing alcohol and it's still not working out.
somebody please help me! i'm dying without my berry :(

Last edited by nancytran; 05-11-2010 at 10:24 AM..
Closed Thread