Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
wosbee

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: other
Default Voice Unlocked but Data Locked

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All, Please help me out. I bought this Storm 9530 from USA, I unlocked it and started using it here in india with vodafone. I used voice and blackberry BIS data service for around three months, suddenly one fine morning, EDGE turned to edge and my data plan stopped working, I went to vodafone customer care service, they did all they could do, but finally I was told, it sometimes happens that some phone which are illegally unlocked gets locked for data and only voice can be used.

Can some one help me out, as what shall I do now.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Voice Unlocked but Data Locked

Load of BS. I don't know the law in India on unlocking the phone (it is legal where I reside) but it has no bearing on the data function.

Did you try re-sending service books?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Sounds like a coverage issue. You may not be in an area with a good enough signal for data coverage, maybe due to a tower outage.

Try pulling the battery for 30 seconds and then resending the service books. And make sure Vodafone didn't mess up the provisioning on your account from their end.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
wosbee

@rambo47: Hi, no its not coverage issue, thats very strange. I got my sim inserted into other BB phone and EDGE came immediately, so it is a phone problem only. I used BIS service for two months with no problems. My technician says, since it was brought from outside of the country, may be the previous service provider has locked the data service, but I am able to use voice service. Yesterday I wiped and reinstalled the OS and restored the backup with all the service books. still no solution, please help.

@aiharkness: I have all the service books required in phone.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

If the phone was reported stolen by the original owner data services could be disabled. Voice and sms would continue to work even if data was blocked. You should try and contact the seller to find out what happened, or call the U.S. carrier whose branding is on the phone and ask them if it has been flagged as lost/stolen. Sometimes a seller will report a phone he sold as stolen to get an insurance claim. Sleazy practice, but it happens a lot. It could also get flagged by the original carrier if there is an unpaid bill on the account that used to have that device on it. In that case the only solution is for the original owner to pay that bill and clear up the account.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
wosbee

Hi tambo, there is new twist today, as a hit and trial measure, I tried and inserted another BIS activatrd SIM of other indian carriar[DOCOMO]and binog the BIS was working with my phone, so that means the phone is not data locked, but my carriar [vodafone] people are still struggling with the issue and declarinf my phone as culprit, I will go to them with this new now and lets see what they respond.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
wosbee

Regarding the stolen issue, no its not the case.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I think rambo hit on the answer in post #3.....something messed up with your account or account setup. Did you verify signal for your carrier? Other SIM was with a different carrier.

Last edited by aiharkness; 06-07-2011 at 01:19 PM..
Old 06-08-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
wosbee

@ahiarkness : Yup, I checked the sihnals with my carrier and the network engineer says they are ok, yes the other sim was from different carrier. Still the issue is on, lets see if someone helps me out.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #10
wosbee

Bingo guys, got the problem solution, there was no problem with the phone. I first got it wiped using JL_Cmdr them reinstalled the OS, then took it to my carrier netwok engineer, he got it throughly checked and found that there was a GPRS blockage from their end and got that blackage removed by doing some system setting and woo hooo EDGE flashed and every thing fall into place. Thanks guys for your support and time.

Hugs

Adi

PS: if anyone need some help on BB and storm, do get in touch with me at : [email address]
Old 06-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

That's what I figured. You would have had it solved back on Monday if the person you got in customer care was even halfway competent.