Old 01-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #1
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon
Default WiFi App?

Please Login to Remove!

One of the things I like best about the Bold is its WiFi which connects well to my usual networks, even if it proves a little balky in finding and hooking into public hotspots. I've recently been having WiFi troubles at home, unrelated to the Bold, with my Fios Actiontec router, which I'm trying to enhance without Scotching my set-top-boxes, etc. Its a mind-numbing, maddening mess, and you wind up trying all manner of things. Part of the frustration is keeping track of the signal strength, speed, etc., etc. as you move things around. It would be a nice BB App to have, if my handheld could display and refresh the WiFi connection and details, etc., as I moved from room to room and as I fiddled with the connections and settings.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

Wirelessly posted

While a 3rd party app might be more graphical in nature, what you're after is built into the Blackberry O/S.

On your connections program, select WiFi tools. You'll be presented with the WiFi networks you've set up. Now choose the menu key and expand the WiFi Tools section and choose WiFi diagnostics. The top section has a signal strength property that you can use. I don't know how often that refreshes. Take a look at some of the advanced properties if you want to control the refresh rate to see if there's any settings there.

Hope that helps you…
Old 01-10-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon

Thanks for the tip, which actually works, but is a little unwieldy and graphically decidely low-tech. Its not that I'm lazy, but it seems as if this aught to be achievable since the BB produces the info. In practice, you have to exit and open the network details over and over again, in concert with your location, etc. and its difficult to determine how constant the signal is at any one location without taking multiple readings and calculations. Still, it beats walking around with a laptop. But a laptop does have these kind of apps available, like "Inssider". It would be nice if someone would develop a BB version.
Closed Thread