Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 12:34 AM   #1
ksgirl808

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T mobile
Default Curve shuts down when battery fully charged

Please Login to Remove!

I am currently using a Blackberry Curve 8320 which I have used for about 12 months now. Recently (the past few days), the battery will be fully charged (85% to 100%) and the blackberry will just shut off. The only way I can turn the phone back on is to do a battery pull and make sure the phone is plugged in to a charger.

I've read a few forums stating that I might need to remove some apps (due to memory) which I have done. I also reloaded to OS (4.5 version) and that didn't help. I am wondering if this is a battery issue or a hardware issue?

I am going to Tmobile tomorrow to see if someone can help there. But any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Jadey
BBF War Game Mod

Model: Z10
PIN: SEEKRIT innit
Carrier: AT&T

Moved to 8300 Series discussion
Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
zerran
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgirl808 View Post
I am currently using a Blackberry Curve 8320 which I have used for about 12 months now. Recently (the past few days), the battery will be fully charged (85% to 100%) and the blackberry will just shut off. The only way I can turn the phone back on is to do a battery pull and make sure the phone is plugged in to a charger.

I've read a few forums stating that I might need to remove some apps (due to memory) which I have done. I also reloaded to OS (4.5 version) and that didn't help. I am wondering if this is a battery issue or a hardware issue?

I am going to Tmobile tomorrow to see if someone can help there. But any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I'm not sure how the amount of free space on your device can cause this problem, but for the hell of it, let's see what you have.

1. Go to Options.
2. Select Status.
3. You should see "File Free." How much space does the BB say it has free there?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
ksgirl808

There is 19, 716, 460 bytes.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
ksgirl808

Also, I've had the phone away from the charger this morning for about 10 minutes and it's now 90% battery life after I had it charged all night.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #6
zerran

Quote:
There is 19, 716, 460 bytes.
That should be way more than enough. I would assume it's a hardware or battery problem. It certainly wouldn't come as a surprise.

The battery is showing as charging when you have it plugged in, correct? I imagine you probably don't have a spare battery to try.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:23 AM   #7
ksgirl808

I thought it might be hardware or battery. I don't have a spare but I am going to Tmo after work today to try and get a new one. It does say that it is charging when I have it plugged in. That seems to be the only time when the phone is reliable, when it's plugged in.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
zerran

Quote:
I thought it might be hardware or battery. I don't have a spare but I am going to Tmo after work today to try and get a new one. It does say that it is charging when I have it plugged in. That seems to be the only time when the phone is reliable, when it's plugged in.
Let me know how this turns out. At the very least, the carrier should be willing to give you a new battery to try.

Last edited by zerran; 02-02-2009 at 11:31 AM..
Old 02-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #9
ksgirl808

Thank you I will. And thanks for helping me out this morning.

It seems that my battery is now to 85% after being off charger for 30 minutes. There is clearly something wrong with the battery at the very least.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
zerran

Quote:
Thank you I will. And thanks for helping me out this morning.

It seems that my battery is now to 85% after being off charger for 30 minutes. There is clearly something wrong with the battery at the very least.
Out of curiosity, what applications are you running? If you have an application that's "always on" (i.e., an instant messaging client), these can really drain the battery because they're making frequent use of the phone's radio. It still shouldn't cause the battery to suddenly die, but you will find that it drains the battery down a lot faster than normal.

Have you installed anything new within the past few days?
Old 02-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #11
ksgirl808

The only apps I have on are the phone, bb messenger (which I try to close but remains on the app screen), the messages, the browser (which I try to close but remains on app screen), and the home screen.

I actually deleted most of my apps yesterday and am not running anything currently.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:45 AM   #12
zerran

Ok, well none of those applications should be destroying your battery, especially if you just use them intermittently, so I'm sticking to the bad battery/bad phone suggestion.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #13
ksgirl808

OK. I will see what the people at Tmobile tell me today. Hopefully it's just a fix with the battery.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #14
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon
Default Same thing with 8300

Very same symptoms. Please post any news, good or bad!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
ksgirl808

Default New battery

Hi,

I got a new battery and it seems to be working well. I don't want to jinx it however, but it seems to help for the time being.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #16
insaneSNIPE

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

I have the same problem but even when im in a call it lasts like 3 minutes and my battery is fully charged and i just hear this static noise while im in the call and then it just dies and then i plug the battery out and back in and it says low battery so then i leave it seating with the battery out for one hour and plug it back in the battery and then it works again like the battery is half way. so im not sure u think its the battery? let me know how it goes
Old 02-05-2009, 12:00 AM   #17
zerran

Quote:
Hi,

I got a new battery and it seems to be working well. I don't want to jinx it however, but it seems to help for the time being.
I'm glad to hear this helped. Hopefully it serves as a permanent solution.

For what it's worth, you're obviously not the first person to have this issue. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the level of quality we've seen from RIM is lacking at best. I've received brand new Curves with a whole plethora of problems, and that includes some with bad/defective batteries.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:11 AM   #18
lukeg310

Model: 9630
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have similar problem, phone is full charged and then it shuts off by itself or after any calls. When I do a battery pull and turn on the phone, half of the battery life is gone. I dont have any applications installed other than generic blackberry ones. I just use the phone for emergency calls. Any ideas anyone?

Carrier: T-Mobile
8310, 8800, 8900, 9530, 9630
Old 02-05-2009, 04:22 PM   #19
zerran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeg310 View Post
I have similar problem, phone is full charged and then it shuts off by itself or after any calls. When I do a battery pull and turn on the phone, half of the battery life is gone. I dont have any applications installed other than generic blackberry ones. I just use the phone for emergency calls. Any ideas anyone?
As was the case with ksgirl, I would point toward the device or the battery. The battery is easiest to test. Try replacing the battery with a new one. If you bring the phone to your carrier they should be able to try swapping out the battery for a new one. Depending on the outcome of this (and your phone's warranty status), if the problem persists you might want to try just replacing the device.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #20
DEI305

Carrier: ATT
Default curve-shuts down

I replaced the battery and all is good.
Rick
Closed Thread