BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
bitt03
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: -8100
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Why is there little love for the Javelin?

Please Login to Remove!

Is the only reason the Javelin is not receiving the love like the bold because of the lack 3G? I seem to be one of the few actually interested in this device and its availabilty schedule all the while everyone else is foaming at the mouth for the bold.

Javelins Form factor looks amazing and I can live without 3g as my browsing is limited to looking up baseball stats, with WIFI or EDGE, thats fast enough for me!

Opinions?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:46 AM   #2
ChumsGum
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

it's because it was first labeled as the "bold without 3G" when in fact it's really different from the bold. i don't get 3G in my area so i'd much rather have the javelin's smaller form factor instead of the bold.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:10 AM   #3
PabloTX
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I think it has more to do with the fact that the Javelin isn't even "official" and nobody really knows when it will be released. The Bold is announced, is up on various carriers websites, passed the FCC and is making it's way into stores.

When the Javelin is at the same point, I think you will find most Curve owners here seriously thinking about an upgrade. Until then, it's just rumors and leaked info.

If both the Bold and Javelin were released the same day I think you would find a more equal amount of excitement.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Helmdawg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: ned down...
Carrier: T-Mobile

Its going to get love here!! If and when T-Mobile gets the Javelin, so will I
Old 08-19-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: rogers(thiefs)

I'm with you. i want more info on Javelin and less hearing about the Bold's outrageous price
Old 08-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Carrier: at&t

I have plenty of love for the Javelin's form factor. I think its the best looking Berry to date. The upgraded camera and the hot swap media card is outstanding.

To be honest, the MicroUSB is a real sour note, and the fact that its not on the release map as of yet.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: rogers(thiefs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun27612 View Post
I have plenty of love for the Javelin's form factor. I think its the best looking Berry to date. The upgraded camera and the hot swap media card is outstanding.

To be honest, the MicroUSB is a real sour note, and the fact that its not on the release map as of yet.
I think there was a picture of it on the Rogers road map for late october early november, if im not mistaken
Old 08-20-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger View Post
I think there was a picture of it on the Rogers road map for late october early november, if im not mistaken
Based on historical performance of carrier road maps or plans, I put little more than hope, into these types of timeframes. When the Javelin is slated to be next in line for release, I think we will see an increase in love.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
david_uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Vodafone
Default 3G Javelin on the horizon?

I'm as underwhelmed by Bold/3G hype as the OP.

But if these rumours are correct, there should be prizes for all in due course.

3G BlackBerry Javelin On The Horizon? | RIMarkable
Old 08-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
Shaun
Retired BBF Moderator

Thanks for the link David. I would love to see the Bold trapped in the Javelin's body. That would be the ultimate (as long as they scrap this microUSB business) Berry. Smaller, sexier Bold with a 3.2MP camera...
Old 08-20-2008, 05:07 PM   #11
nchavez
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: ATA

I personally think that this will be a great device for users (like myself) who can less about the 3G. I have internet on my phone now and I use it will normal use daily and the speed is just fine. I can't wait until Tmobile gets that bad boy -- I will be first in line just like an Iphone junkie...
Old 08-20-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
strike2tamu

PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_uk View Post
I'm as underwhelmed by Bold/3G hype as the OP.

But if these rumours are correct, there should be prizes for all in due course.

3G BlackBerry Javelin On The Horizon? | RIMarkable
Nice.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:41 AM   #13
adri
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: FIDO

Not a care in the world about the Javelin. If it's not going to have 3G, it can't be better than my Pearl as far as I'm concerned... then again, I love my Pearl, give me a Pearl with 3G, forget updating the rest of the system with specs like the Bold, and I'd still be happy. So in my case, yes, the 3G is the big factor.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #14
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

3G will probably take forever to work its way downstate where I live, so I am not that concerned about it. The Wi-fi would be awesome enough for me. The Javelin is, however, throwing a wrench into my plans of wanting to switch to a Curve. If only there were concrete release info, then maybe I'd be convinced!

As someone else in the thread already said, I think because of the lack of any release whispers (or even the leaked photos of the device being acknowledged by RIM as a future device) is keeping the Javelin on the downlow.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:53 PM   #15
sjsilverman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile & China Mobile

I fail to really see a difference, other than some minor upgrades, from my Curve 8320. That is why I am not excited about this possible release. Why upgrade if I am not getting anything that is substantially more than what I have? 3G is the future, and while I am considering getting a Bold, I most definitely WON'T get a Javelin (unless my Curve breaks). Now, give me a 3G Javelin, and we can talk......Otherwise, the Javelin is just a Curve with a new dress and hairdo.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:32 AM   #16
Helmdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsilverman View Post
I fail to really see a difference, other than some minor upgrades, from my Curve 8320. That is why I am not excited about this possible release. Why upgrade if I am not getting anything that is substantially more than what I have? 3G is the future, and while I am considering getting a Bold, I most definitely WON'T get a Javelin (unless my Curve breaks). Now, give me a 3G Javelin, and we can talk......Otherwise, the Javelin is just a Curve with a new dress and hairdo.
and you forgot, better specs then the curve....which is reason for me to upgrade.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:29 AM   #17
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsilverman View Post
Wow, you have no idea what you're talking about. The Jav has more usable mem for apps than the Bold, which has more than the Curve. Has better screen resolution than the Bold, which is Also better than the Curve. It has more memory overall than the Curve. It has a better camera than the Bold and the Curve. It is using a higher OS than the Bold and the Curve. There are some others but I'm not saying them since, well, you know, it's only a Curve with a new dress and hairdo.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:44 AM   #18
TheBigNewt

Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumsGum View Post
it's because it was first labeled as the "bold without 3G" when in fact it's really different from the bold. i don't get 3G in my area so i'd much rather have the javelin's smaller form factor instead of the bold.
I hear you loud and clear. I'm interested in the Bold, but from what I've read the Javelin will have better space between the keys, slightly higher res screen, way better camera (I like cameras), more memory, slightly smaller (I'm a pearl fan because of the width), cheaper and better battery life of course. No 3g where I am and browsing is mostly sports scores and movietimes. Bring it on, there will be a lot of takers IMO. I know that 3G is all the rage but I am really skeptical as to how much faster it is downloading big content loads and with WiFi almost everywhere I wouldn't use it that much even if I had it here. Think I'll just mess with buddies' Bolds until it comes out. With all the dropped calls and glitches that the Rogers Bold owners are having I don't want on of those yet anyway.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 08-23-2008 at 10:48 AM..
Old 08-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #19
Helmdawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonHDD View Post
Wow, you have no idea what you're talking about. The Jav has more usable mem for apps than the Bold, which has more than the Curve. Has better screen resolution than the Bold, which is Also better than the Curve. It has more memory overall than the Curve. It has a better camera than the Bold and the Curve. It is using a higher OS than the Bold and the Curve. There are some others but I'm not saying them since, well, you know, it's only a Curve with a new dress and hairdo.
and GPS I believe..
Old 08-23-2008, 10:42 PM   #20
Godzilla07
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Nein
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

The Javelin would be a great upgrade to the Curve if it had AWS (T-Mobile 3G support). But it doesn't have 3G and I would like to be able to take advantage of the 3G services that will be in my area come October.
Closed Thread