Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 08:32 AM   #1
bbgirl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: all
Carrier: All carrier's
Default new model.

Please Login to Remove!

i'm sick of hearing that RIM will produce a camera/blackberry.

I can't see how it could happen.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:25 AM   #2
purephase

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell

I don't understand why people are so interested in camera phones to begin with. It sounds like something that is cool in concept, but in pratical use (unless your job relies on low quality pictures) I find that most people go nuts with the camera feature as soon as they get the device, but eventually stop using it entirely.

I'd much prefer a device that has the features that I would use most often, are stable, and BB's are perfect in this respect. Why mess with a good thing?
Old 11-01-2005, 10:26 AM   #3
bbgirl

Model: all
Carrier: All carrier's

i hear you.

If we could just get the keyboard of a 7290 on the 7100, I would have it physically attached...
Old 11-01-2005, 10:46 AM   #4
subklue
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Camera phones are for johnny on the spot... you know, like you see a naked midget running the streets... grab the phone and done.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:14 PM   #5
rjharary

Model: Droid
Carrier: Bell South

Quote:
Originally Posted by subklue
Camera phones are for johnny on the spot... you know, like you see a naked midget running the streets... grab the phone and done.
LOL or an Innovative Verizon phone!
Old 11-09-2005, 07:52 AM   #6
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

I wouldn't buy a phone because it has a camera. That said, I work in construction as a PM and there are times when, when I did have a camera phone, it was very helpful in documenting field conditions. I could take a picture and email from my T-Mobile MDA immediately. It was slick.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:05 AM   #7
Bunker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgerbasio
I wouldn't buy a phone because it has a camera. That said, I work in construction as a PM and there are times when, when I did have a camera phone, it was very helpful in documenting field conditions. I could take a picture and email from my T-Mobile MDA immediately. It was slick.

Regards-Michael G.

There are two or three companies in beta of hooking up a digital camera via bluetooth to the BlackBerry. Then you can have a real camera with decent resolution and optics (i.e. good lens) and still send the images via your device.

Unfortuenetly I have been waiting for almost a year for them to get out of beta.

Bunker
Old 11-09-2005, 08:15 AM   #8
BLC

Model: 7100t

Wirelessly posted (7100t (T-Mobile UK): BlackBerry7100/4.0.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 UP.Link/5.1.1.3)

I've done the whole camera phone, video calling, thing. I bought a BlackBerry because it doesn't have pointless features, I wouldn't have bought my 7100t if there was a camera in it.
PIN 202B2655
Old 11-13-2005, 05:00 PM   #9
trancemaasta
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Optus Australia

I personally think that a Camera/Phone combo has to be the most handy thing that you can have. If they were going to introduce such a device they would certainly be appealing to different target market, thus competing against the likes of Nokia/O2/I-mate/MS ... I think the main reason for RIM not introducing a camera is due to the fact that many Government institutions and Key Corporate Business' don't allow any for of Photography to be permitted for use in any of there Buildings. Blackberry connect is the Answer to Blackberry Camera Phone.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:13 PM   #10
DSS597
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancemaasta
I personally think that a Camera/Phone combo has to be the most handy thing that you can have. If they were going to introduce such a device they would certainly be appealing to different target market, thus competing against the likes of Nokia/O2/I-mate/MS ... I think the main reason for RIM not introducing a camera is due to the fact that many Government institutions and Key Corporate Business' don't allow any for of Photography to be permitted for use in any of there Buildings. Blackberry connect is the Answer to Blackberry Camera Phone.
"BlackBerry Connect" ???????
Old 11-13-2005, 11:19 PM   #11
writergal

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Rogers

I'd rather get access to a music service (e.g. iTunes) on my bb than a camera...though a camera would be nice too
Old 11-13-2005, 11:28 PM   #12
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

What I cant understand is all the people that come and buy a Blackberry because they feel the phone will give them what they want, security, e-mail, etc. Now once they have that the next thing you hear is where are the toys, I wish they had this or that, not happy with having obtained what they were seeking when they came over to "the dark side". There are tons of phones out there, the ones with all the gadgets, the ones with all those extra features you so hard are looking for and cannot live without. Do us and yourself a favor, go to them, answer their call, fulfill your yearning burning desires for the gadgets and fancy and neat, spiffy, shinny, yuppie gadgets and leave the rest of us that are happy with the basic standard BBs with them to enjoy.

Running OS 6.0.0.524

Last edited by KonTiki; 11-13-2005 at 11:30 PM..
Old 11-13-2005, 11:29 PM   #13
harryzuluberries

Model: 9630
PIN: DUPONT FIFTH AVENUE LARGE ORPHEO ROLLERBALL
Carrier: the Titanic
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSS597
"BlackBerry Connect" ???????
this was tongue in cheek foo'! blackberry connect on devices that have cam phones on them. like the imate jasjar, ppc6600, etc

7510>7520>7100i>8830>8330>9630
Old 11-14-2005, 12:12 AM   #14
ajg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: M600i
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
What I cant understand is all the people that come and buy a Blackberry because they feel the phone will give them what they want, security, e-mail, etc. Now once they have that the next thing you hear is where are the toys, I wish they had this or that, not happy with having obtained what they were seeking when they came over to "the dark side". There are tons of phones out there, the ones with all the gadgets, the ones with all those extra features you so hard are looking for and cannot live without. Do us and yourself a favor, go to them, answer their call, fulfill your yearning burning desires for the gadgets and fancy and neat, spiffy, shinny, yuppie gadgets and leave the rest of us that are happy with the basic standard BBs with them to enjoy.
I think many people are looking for a nice medium. The Blackberry is a great secure device designed for messaging but completely devoid of things like video calls, cameras, any in general multimedia functionality. My 7250 serves me well in that regard. On the other hand, there are things like Series 60 phones where the mobile multimedia is perfect yet the messaging support isn't up to the BB standard. (Except for a few with BB Connect.) Finding a nice medium between the two would be great. I infact use my camera phone quite a lot. Granted, it isn't my Digtal Rebel but with 2 megapixels, it does some nice things. Although with my N70 goes a lot of other nice features like video calls in areas of 3G (not a huge deal for me) great speaker phone, memory expantion, *useful* bluetooth and the one thing I HATE about my 7250, attachment support. I can save them, use them, and SEND and attachment. I appreciate security in many cases like the Government and whatnot, but I NEED to be able to send attachments. I see the pros and cons to both schools of thought. For me, Series 60 specifically, has really opened smartphone technology more so than the Blackberry. But again, do notice that I compare the Blackberry to other smartphones... a "regular" cellphone camera or not, I'd throw away in favor of the BB. As for (in my case) BB vs. Series 60, my Blackberry doesn't make for the best phone. My N70 (Series 60) definitely does. But in the end, I will not play favorites, I love my Blackberry and N70 equally. Just for different reasons. If I had to choose, I'd have to go with my N70 just because my phone is more crucial. But again, that's *just* me.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:20 PM   #15
BadBoyBill

Model: 7250

I agree to it would be a nice medium. And as far as the Govermanet issue Palm Samsung and Audiovox all produce a camera and non camera device for Verizon to accomidate the people in this world that either do not want a camera or cannot have one. I think Rim will evetually move that way though. Alot of handheld pdas started off as strictly buisness professional and now are being redesigned for a younger generation. By doing this the young professional will be able to put all of his tools and toys of the trade into one device " email tool , i pod , camera ,planner, and phone. So we will see .
Old 11-16-2005, 11:28 PM   #16
speedsk8berry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I am 19 and have nodesire for a camera phone i carry a 4 megapixel Nikon digital camera with me almost always. if i really want to take a pic i will whip it out. and if i want really nice picture i will pull out my 7.1 Nikon SLR digital camera. and no i did buy these myself. i have 3 blackberrys and love them with a passion almost every youngster i see wishes they have my phone even after telling them it has no camera. CAmera phone quality is so low the only decent camera phone i have seen is Xcute dv2 at a whooping 600 dollars on ebay and they are 6.0 mega pixels, http://www.mobile-review.com/forum2/...ad.php?t=31814 oddly not loaclly released in america. but anywaysdon't say they are being youthed because camera phone simply don't have the space you need to put a lens chamber for decent pictures. except the ex cute because the put it in the hinge joint not the top cover flip spot.
i want a phone that can do more than be vanity and have broken features, therefore i want a blackberry a solid eletronical marvel. it does IM, SMS, MMS, Email, EMS, full web browsing, WAP browsing, calender, Sync contacts date agenda and data, all this witha full keyboard and can play pacman what more could you ask for.

by the way howmany people do you know actually uses there camera at least regularly. besides your giggly little highschool cheerleader. which are ugly and plain annoying. do you really want to be put in the Tenny bopper, giggly cheer leader class if so please save my sanity.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:17 PM   #17
go2duke

Model: 8703

You know.. all of you may valid comments.. my assessment is...(unbiased but untrained having never owned a camera phone)... That my BB gives me everything I NEED and nearly nothing that I would WANT. I miss the "good" ability to handle office documents easily like a tungsten or Ipaq, better screens like the two already mentioned...

Long story short.. a blackberry is everything a busy "communicator" needs and nearly nothing that a communicating busy body wants.

-G2D
Old 11-20-2005, 04:35 PM   #18
DSS597
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&T

Here's what's going to end up happening. All of the major carriers that already have "gadget" type phones with cameras and ring tones, etc. are going to come up with their own "push" type of email technology and all of their current customers are going to jump on it because they already have the phone unit that they like. Granted it won't be as secure as RIM technology, but to the average consumer THEY DON'T CARE! They would love to be able to take a picture with their camera phone and send it through a Yahoo or SBC account, or just be able to get their Yahoo, SBC, EarthLink, etc. email, real time to their phones. Once that happens we won't have posts like this anymore. BlackBerry users will be happy with their boring, plain devices with the huge boast of security and the average users out there will be happy with all of their "gadget" phones as well as getting email to their phones the same way as BlackBerry users, with less security of course. Who really stands to "win"? The other carriers of course. If they come up with a similar technology to RIM then RIM and BlackBerry's only claim to fame IS going to be the security and they'll end up ONLY catering to government, military, Fortune 500 companies and the major conglomerates. All the rest will be with the major carriers out there happy as a clam with all of the gadgets on a pseudo BlackBerry.

Last edited by DSS597; 11-20-2005 at 04:37 PM..
Old 11-20-2005, 10:49 PM   #19
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

DSS597 - most carriers have an Email interface for standard phones currently.
Old 11-21-2005, 02:15 AM   #20
speedsk8berry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

ah but yes most of your phones for user do not have full web browsing wich pissses my friends off cause i can do things they can't like get free ringtones. i have friends with side kicks nokia and they all envy me cause they pay 2 bucks for a 15 sec clip when a i tyune song is what 99 cents that just seems stupid i whould say a ring tone is worth 25 cents - 55 cents per tone. but yeah black berry are not boring they can do oh so much more your regular gadgfet phone cannot
Closed Thread