Carrier: three

Please Login to Remove!

thunderstorm thanks for those settings - will give it a go
Old 11-29-2008, 12:16 AM   #62
pmosel

Model: BOLD
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Single most effective way to save battery life? Upgrade to .190 and do not leave you IM clients running. I turned off my beejive IM and my battery life went from 10 hours to nearly 24 hours with heavy usage.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #63
stauqmuk
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t
Default ebay extended battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG in SB View Post
Tried this search and came up with zero (0) results on Ebay USA. Are you using a different country Ebay site?
dont use quotes. it makes it an exact phrase and youll never get anything. just use those words there are a few thousand entries.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:34 PM   #64
SingSong

Carrier: Singtel

Lithium-ion batteries do not need priming as nickel-based batteries do. The 1st charge is no different to the 5th or the 50th charge. Stickers instructing to charge the battery for 8 hours or more for the first time may be a leftover from the nickel battery days.

Unlike nickel and lead-based batteries, a new lithium-ion pack does not need cycling through charging and discharging as some believe it does. Priming will make little difference because the maximum capacity of lithium-ion is available right from the beginning regardless of what charge level it's in. A full discharge doesn't improve the capacity of a faded pack, either. However, a full discharge/charge will reset the digital circuit of a 'smart' battery to improve the state-of-charge estimation.

It is not recommended to charge for a prolonged period of time beyond what's necessary to fully charge the battery.

Also, overcharging causes the cell to heat up. If left unattended, the cell could vent with flame.
Commercial lithium ion packs often contain a protection circuits that limit the charge voltage to a fraction higher than the voltage threshold of the charger. Temperature sensing feature usually disconnects the charge if the cell temperature approaches 90°C (194°F), and a mechanical pressure switch on many cells permanently interrupt the current path if a safe pressure threshold is exceeded.

Extreme low voltage is not good and therefore, the safety circuit is designed to cut off the current path if the battery is inadvertently discharged below 2.50V/cell. At this voltage, most circuits render the battery unserviceable and a recharge on a regular charger is not possible. Therefore, you should be careful not to use just any charger just because the connector fits your phone!

The bottom line is, that you don't need to prime the Li-ion batteries other than for the purpose of increasing the accuracy of the battery level indication and you should not be continuously charging the battery as it can potentially subject the battery to high temperature of the phone that is not good for the life of the battery. Just charge as you need only as long as you need to charge the battery! Avoid subjecting the battery to a high temperature for a sustained period of time, like leaving the phone inside the car on a hot sunny day, as it can damage the battery and shorten its life, it not explode first.

I also highly recommend that you upgrade your OS to .190 level as it does do a better job of managing the battery.
Reducing the brightness of the screen to below 50% is highly recommended as well to protect your eyes and to preserve the battery longer. I keep my phone between 10~40%, Timeout in 20 seconds, Auto-Dim off, Keyboard/Trackball sound off, LED coverage light off and Wifi-on all the time and can get two days of usage out of my phone readily, even with constant emails and SMS messages and 30~60 min of talk time usage of the phone throughout the day.

Last edited by SingSong; 12-02-2008 at 10:35 PM..
Old 12-02-2008, 11:59 PM   #65
impegio
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: WIND IT

i just charched my battery last night and now, almost 15 hours after im in 80% . i upgraded also today to .190 so i can't tell the difference, but before, i could use the cell about 2 days without charge.

p.s. does anybody consider the first charge?
Old 12-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #66
Serkle K
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: ... --- ...

I charged it up as soon as I got home from getting mine on the 6th (it was about 8pm) and as soon as it hit 100% I unplugged it and ran the battery till it hit 10% and the icon turned red late sunday night. In that time I had many computer syncs and i upgraded from the stock .167 to .190 and I put it under pretty heavy use, texting, testing emails, checking web sites, testing WiFi, checking out CV, uploading songs to my SD card, playing songs, watching music videos on my SD card, changing wall papers, checking out apps.... you know, the usual... so then I let it charge over night, and unplugged it as soon as I woke up monday morning @7am, and it has been unplugged since. As I am writing this, I have ~60% battery life left. I haven't synced it since sunday, so it hasn't had any "extra" top offs. I use the alarm clock this morning, used my bluetooth yesterday and today, and texting, BBM and AIM through the day yesterday, and of course email (though mine is probably light to moderate compared to most). Sitting at ~60% more then 24 hours after I took it off the charger, I have to say with what I have done in that time, that's still pretty good IMO.

I guess the argument still stand as to whether these new batteries need power cycles or not, but call me old fashioned, I'm still doing it.

EDIT: FWIW, I also have the password lock on, so every time I take it out of the holster or "wake it up" I have to put in my password and I'm in constant 3G coverage. My 8525 would always switch while I was at home beacuse according to AT&T I was between 2 towers and my phone would constantly fight for a signal, but if I was on the road it would hold on to 3G if it was in a good coverage area. My bold holds on very nicely and as of right now I'm pretty pleased with the battery life.

Last edited by Serkle K; 12-10-2008 at 10:35 AM..
Old 12-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #67
SSRL_2006

Carrier: Telstra

I was running .167 before I upgraded to .190 2 days ago!

Battery life has definitely improved significantly!

BUT, as I am a heavy user.. I have still bought another extra battery with a desktop charger... so I carry it around and whenever the first one dies, I change it over [and it's useful because of the memory leak, you have to do the battery pull at some stage] and then charge the empy one with the desktop charger while your phone is still 100% with the other battery!]

All heavy users should try it! Very convenient!
Old 12-19-2008, 10:53 AM   #68
LilGTO71

Only had my Bold for a month now. OS .190 (as of last night). I found if u enable the auto turn off function, I can get up to two full days of use out of my battery life. Can't really say if appropriate for everyone, but has worked for me. I have WiFi, BB messenger, and texting activated all the time.
Old 12-20-2008, 06:36 AM   #69
RAUMPATROUILLE

Model: Z10
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default MicroSD card seems to cause battery drain

Hi,
I'm from Germany and use a T-Mobile Bold (v4.6.0.126) since about 3 weeks. I discovered that the usage of a 8GB MicroSD card which I bought a few days ago causes a tremendous battery drain.
I removed the card and reloaded the battery afterwords to check if my impression is right. Since then battery runtime has exceeded about 50%...
Old 12-21-2008, 01:33 AM   #70
hmong
Thumbs Must Hurt

I usually get a full day of use (9am - 5pm) without problem, I am considered a road warrior, so porbably 2 hours on the phone with 150+ e-mail a day. It still bothers me since my curve could last me more than a day.

Something strange happened last night. I always charges my battery full before I go to bed and unplug the cable. I did so around 11pm last night, when I looked at my phone this afternoon around 2pm, the battery was drained and the phone shut itself down. (I had 0 use with probably 7 e-mail came in during this period.)

People here are talking about how 3g really uses a lot of power... Is it really that "powerful'?

I am def. searching for a second battery now. After reading all the posts and looked around some websites, can someone recommend a good choice? I am not sure if I want to buy this on e-bay...
Old 12-27-2008, 11:06 PM   #71
dstrauss
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

The Bold may not be a Curve in battery life, but take it from a former Tilt and iPhone 3g user - the Bold gets 3g RIGHT - far better life than either of these other devices.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:01 AM   #72
mcracco

Model: 8310

Normally, my Bold gets me through the day (6A-11P) without recharging; wifi ON, Bluetooth ON, not very minutes talking. Pretty much same as my Curve.

But.....a while back my Bold started going low battery then shutting down late in the afternoon. I started doing everything people are talking about here; recharging mid-day, conservative settings, looking into a high capacity battery.

Then it struck me; this came on so suddenly, maybe it's a software issue. Did a battery pull and now I am back to normal. I have 75% battery life when I attach to charger at 11PM. Basically the battery management software was hosed and the full reset fixed it. I don't know if the battery really was going dead or the OS thought the battery was going dead. No matter, I no longer have battery issues.

BTW, this is with .167 the the Bold shipped with.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:09 PM   #73
Ritylin

PIN: I have an Iron Maiden pin from the 80's. :-P
Cool Default Settings

I left the default settings on b/c i never felt any need to change. I get company email (about 150 per day) and personal email. 3G but no bt or wf. Sometimes I have an hour or two of conference calls and still get about 23 hrs of life out of the stock battery.

Woo HOO!

By the way, I pilot tested the Storm and it sux for messaging of any type
Old 03-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #74
GoHawks63
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have Wi-Fi and BT turned on. Get over 200 emails a day with light browsing. Will be at 30%-40% at the end of the day.

I noticed an improvement after following a suggestion I read here. Make sure that if you're using a picture fo wallpaper, make sure you store it on the device and not on the memory card.

I noticed a huge difference after I did that.
Closed Thread