Old 11-17-2007, 01:25 PM   #1
chingtastical

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint PCS
Default 8830 - Missing calls as they go straight to voicemail

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

First off, I am really pleased with my 8830 World Edition through Sprint. It's my first Blackberry and am wondering why I didn't purchase one years ago.

That said, I am having a peculiar problem that I have only been able to find one (possibly) related post about on this forum.

It has to deal with my 8830 missing calls and text messages, specifically on the Sprint PCS network. It happens mostly at night. I keep the phone nearby as it is my home and business phone but I have been missing calls at an alarming rate (again, mostly at night).

It seems to happen more often than not after placing the phone in either "Quiet" or "Phone Only" mode I will no longer receive calls. For example, last night I went to the movies and turned the volume setting to "Off". After the movie let out, I put the volume back to "Normal" setting. Yet, even after doing so, I found out the following morning that I had missed calls, text messages, and a voicemail while the phone was in "Normal" setting! The phone will work fine throughout the day, by the way.

The problem becomes resolved when I manually turn power off and back on. I will then find the voicemail indicator, missed calls, and missed text messages. Sometimes, in fact, even without power recycling, the messages will appear the next morning - even though they were left with my phone the night before.

I've checked to make sure that the "Auto On/Off" feature is disabled. I can't figure it out. Some people have hinted that is a CDMA and/or Sprint cell tower issue but I've never had this issue with previous phones on the Sprint network.

Has anyone had similar experiences with their 8830s? I'm ready to call Sprint about the matter but I know they will be of no help.

Please help!

Thank you.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

this i think is the network/phone issue, cdma phones register and sleep on a network, the tower does not wake the phone up for incomming calls, alerts etc, when i had sprint this was persitant through their phones, what i think it is is a bad tower over an overloaded tower.

i dont think their is much you can do, the power cycle on the phone, reregisters the phone, hence why you get alerts the phone should wake up to network requests, which it is not, or the request isnt sent.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
CBR900RR
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: Tmobile

Under Profile>Advance>Phone, make sure the last option (Do Not Disturb) is set to no, if set to yes, all call will send to voicemail.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:21 AM   #4
syncmaster

PIN: 40156C82
Carrier: Sprint (+Nextel 7100i)

I have this same problem with my Sprint 8830 as well. Over the last week it has actually gotten worse than ever before. Sprint has had me wipe the phone several times, and finally told me to take it to a Sprint store to have it checked out. Monday I took it to a Sprint store 50 miles each way away, they did not have a BlackBerry technician on site and offered to have a replacement sent to the store, they called me this afternoon (4PM EST, Wednesday) and told me my replacement had arrived and I could pick it up when my schedule allowed.

I promptly drove to pick it up (another 100 miles round-trip), to arrive at the store and they did not actually have it, and the order had been denied because they did not have it in the warehouse. I called customer service again who was no help, I talked to 5 different people, 2 of which were supervisors, who all told me to talk to the store manager and that there was nothing they could do. I told them that not only had I been dealing directly with the manager but that I had gone to a corporate owned store, not a dealer. They offered no help or compensation for their mistake on a phone that costs me nearly $120 a month, plus the 4 other lines of service I have with Sprint/Nextel. Not to mention having had paid full price for the BlackBerry when I got it.

I have problems with calls, voicemail, SMS text messages, and email messages. Sprint customer service is seriously lacking, and my support for Sprint is quickly dwindling. RIM should be on top of Sprint for providing inferior customer service to customers paying a very high amount of revenue to both companies each month.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:55 AM   #5
dtdt
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I have a similar problem on Verizon's network. It doesn't happen often, but occasionally I get an alert for a voicemail, when my phone never rang in the first place. At home, I always get a 5-bar signal, yet somehow, the phone sometimes doesn't ring, and instead I am alerted of new voicemail. If this starts occurring on a more regular basis, my friends and other callers are going to peg me as a call-screener!!
Closed Thread