Please Login to Remove!

yep'impressed...
Old 07-08-2008, 02:40 AM   #22
berryaddict1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

Just got mine it really is the holy grael of berrys its got everythink on it you could want (no touch screen )

All the feature on one device plus 3G finaly used to carry round 2 berrys to have all this now i only need one very happy
Old 07-08-2008, 08:21 AM   #23
i robot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB&!))G View Post
For one its not an iphone
Have you used the iPhone?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #24
shampoo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Telus

How does the screen resolution and brightness compare to the iPhone ?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #25
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by integra144 View Post
But what is so good about the Bold? It looks nice, but other than the costmic upgrade is there a real reason to have if you have a BB right now.
You might want to look at spec sheets in the future when comparing devices rather than just photos.

As for whether it's worth upgrading or not -- that's a subjective question that each person will have to answer on his/her own.

Quote:
Aren't they all going to run the same OS anyway? Since BB makes upgrades to all phones together.
Probably. But an OS upgrade won't add a faster processor, higher res screen, more device memory, HSDPA, WiFi (if your current BB doesn't have it), GPS (again, if your current BB doesn't have it) etc... It's like on a PC -- does buying a newer OS mean that you don't need to upgrade your hardware?

Again, spec sheets don't tell all but they're a good starting point for comparisons.

Last edited by takeshi; 07-09-2008 at 10:59 AM..
Old 07-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #26
Joshiyama
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

I agree It's not an iPhone so it Rocks
Old 07-12-2008, 04:59 PM   #27
jim_digriz

Model: 8300
PIN: 206217C8
Carrier: O2
Default 1Gb memory.

It'll be great to have all that memory-no need to hold back on installing extra apps. The big downside to previous models is the inability to run apps from memory card and 64Mb. With 1Gb, it makes that problem redundant!
Old 07-12-2008, 05:32 PM   #28
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

Agreed 100% I already have 10 apps on my device and it hovers around 23MBs, and I have been holding back on installing other because my memory will run out... I'm going to love the 1GB and NO battery pulls and the faster network and processor will be a huge difference. Half the time I'm saying to myself "comeon load already" lol. I am really looking forward to the bold
Old 07-12-2008, 05:42 PM   #29
Battery
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
Agreed 100% I already have 10 apps on my device and it hovers around 23MBs, and I have been holding back on installing other because my memory will run out... I'm going to love the 1GB and NO battery pulls and the faster network and processor will be a huge difference. Half the time I'm saying to myself "comeon load already" lol. I am really looking forward to the bold
I thought the 1gb is not for the apps? I thought the internal memory for apps is 128mb?
Old 07-12-2008, 07:05 PM   #30
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

I honestly don't know... Why would they change that layout. Every device's memory is for everything, from media to apps... I don't think they changed that with the bold... Maybe someone else can explain that one...
Old 07-12-2008, 07:13 PM   #31
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Ok just looked into it, its 128MBs flash memory for the OS, apps, and emails etc, and thenm 1GB for media if wanted.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #32
foner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 2 something...
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Scheuer View Post
You've got that right, Corey. I'm like 12 more sleeps.. Just 12 more sleeps. I don't want to hear anymore about new betas coming out. Just want this Bold to drop! As an aside - I was in the mall today and was overwhelmed by the iphone madness. Each Rogers, Fido, Wireless Wave I went into I loaded every iphone browser with blackberryforums.com. I was quite amused! I need to get out more...
Old 07-12-2008, 10:12 PM   #33
untjoker

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
I come from WinMo, and with them if you want OS upgrade you have to buy a new phone. ppc 6700 5.0, 6800 6.0, etc.

I have the 8330 and I really like it so far no freezing. And from reading this forum BB will be upgrading the OS the entire line. I am shocked. Wow.

But what is so good about the Bold? It looks nice, but other than the costmic upgrade is there a real reason to have if you have a BB right now. Aren't they all going to run the same OS anyway? Since BB makes upgrades to all phones together.

I wish Microsoft would learn from this. lol you want the new IE you must upgrade to XP or Vista. HA
Well the list is really long so let's just say there are "many" reasons to upgrade. To be honest, I've had every BB made in the last 3-4 years and the Bold is the only one that really improves on specs over the last models. From the 8700 all the way up until now the only thing that's been upgraded are a trackball, memory card support, and wifi. With the Bold almost every aspect hardware wise AND software wise is being not only upgraded, but taking a HUGE leap in specs....
Old 07-30-2008, 05:58 AM   #34
azrizal

Model: Storm
PIN: 20CCA68A
Carrier: Maxis

apart from the screen resolution, it's the first device from RIM that is running on 3G mode brother.. Gotta het hold of it.. It just makes other Smartphones look pre-historic.. hahaha
Old 07-30-2008, 07:38 AM   #35
ash_786
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobile

How dare anyone post such a question as "What is so good about the Blackberry Bold ?"

Wash your mouth out, we don't want chat like that around here !!! LOL.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #36
Hexxe

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
I've used the new browser on the Bold and I must say that that is probably what excites me more than anything. It's the most significant upgrade to the blackberry mobile browser since they first introduced it.
Just how good is the browser? It is the only thing holding me back from the 9000. I can not stand the regular BB browser. Its ancient, slow, and hard to navigate. Can you open new windows/tabs in the new browser? Opera Mini did wonders with the current browser but, its still slow and doesn't really do all that much more than the old browser.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:48 AM   #37
Wanchaiman

Model: 5820
Carrier: hk
Default How good is the browser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexxe View Post
Just how good is the browser? It is the only thing holding me back from the 9000. I can not stand the regular BB browser. Its ancient, slow, and hard to navigate. Can you open new windows/tabs in the new browser? Opera Mini did wonders with the current browser but, its still slow and doesn't really do all that much more than the old browser.
Yes... I want to try the browser first.

BB email has always been great but the downside was the browser... slow and clunky.

Hope this one flies.

Has anyone got one and can give comments?
Old 08-04-2008, 03:48 AM   #38
Insurgent

Carrier: N/A

A rundown of all the features that put the BlackBerry Bold above other smartphone/PDA hybrid devices, including the iPhone:

624Mhz Processor
128MB Flash Memory
1024MB On Board Secure Memory
MicroSD Slot compatible w/ SDHC (capacities currently up to 12GB, to my knowledge)
Improved Speakers/Sound quality
Full HTML Browser incl. Youtube
3G Data, WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth connectivity
Possible improved battery life (proportional to improved hardware)
480 x 320 half-VGA screen resolution
Old 08-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #39
torberry

Model: 9780
Carrier: Pigeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insurgent View Post
A rundown of all the features that put the BlackBerry Bold above other smartphone/PDA hybrid devices, including the iPhone:

624Mhz Processor
128MB Flash Memory
1024MB On Board Secure Memory
MicroSD Slot compatible w/ SDHC (capacities currently up to 12GB, to my knowledge)
Improved Speakers/Sound quality
Full HTML Browser incl. Youtube
3G Data, WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth connectivity
Possible improved battery life (proportional to improved hardware)
480 x 320 half-VGA screen resolution
I didn't realize it could handle youtube. That's fantastic. Youtube is actually quickly overtaking my cable tv for many big media interviews and stories. Nice work RIM!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:51 PM   #40
TotalDistinction
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by culture View Post
Aside from 3G, all that stuff is already available on existing blackberry models. im personally not too interested in the bolds hype. the flip phone to me is a much more interesting item for the single reason that its a completely different form from previous blackberries.

give me a 5.0mp camera and ill camp outside the store waiting for the release
I feel the same way. With the exception of 3G, which is significant, everything else is available on existing blackberry models. I agree that the Bold converges everything into 1 device and that's great but what do you NEED a blackberry for?

If it's strictly for messaging, any blackberry device past and present will do this for you in real-time (no need for 3G for that). For enthusiasts that frequent this forum, I would expect most to want the Bold. But for most corporate users, all they may need and use is email, calendaring, and contacts which any blackberry can do very well right now.

I had a chance to handle a Bold the other day and, admittedly I was underwhelmed. I really wanted to be overwhelmed but the BB OS still felt very antiquated to me (and it is).

I just upgraded to OS 4.5 on my Curve and I'm glad that it does a better job with HTML browsing and email (albeit over EDGE) but I just don't know that I can justify the cost of upgrading to a Bold as much as I "want" to have it.

Is the blackberry highly functional? Yes it is but I wish they would refresh the OS and add some eye candy to it ala iPhone as superficial as that might sound.
Closed Thread