Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
RocklinBB

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default "sim Not Provisioned:2" Message On Bold -- Att

Please Login to Remove!

First time poster, never had an issue with any blackberry previously. I received my bold Friday after buying online, had the message "SIM NOT PROVISIONED:2" or "SIM NOT ALLOWED" along with a SOS message about 3 times day. Rebooting the device has always worked. Went to the store to exchange and the same thing is now happening. Twice in the last 24 hrs. Should I try replacing again, seems very random for a HW problem to arise on two devices received from completely separate places. Would it be beneficial to upgrade OS even though ATT doesn't have a new one officially released, I'm on .167.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #2
MiamiBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

did you also swap SIM cards, i.e ask for a new one in the store? May be a SIM card issue rather than the device.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
RocklinBB

SIM was replaced with the first phone I had. Problem still occurred. Received the second phone and they installed the second SIM on the new phone as well.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:42 AM   #4
icepop

Can you let me know how you resolve this issue? I'm having the *exact* same problem and also replaced my SIM card once on the old phone and then got a replacement phone. I'm still experiencing the same problems. I really feel like it's not a hardware issue either...
Old 11-26-2008, 01:58 AM   #5
RocklinBB

I'm going to watch for a couple of days and see if it's location dependent, with my second bold the failure hasn't occurred at home where I get better reception than at my office, reception not as good at the office, but still regularly 2 bars. I am debating whether to try another phone or just throw in the towel and reactivate my old BB.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:25 AM   #6
RocklinBB

Also, anybody have thoughts about whether or not upgrading to the .190 OS might help this problem?
Old 11-26-2008, 05:46 AM   #7
Drizzle22

I am having this same problem on my phone. I had the sim card replaced on my old phone. Nothing changed it did the same thing. Then i had them replace the phone and its still doing the same thing.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:53 AM   #8
dellington
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 249FB94A
Default Me too

Same problem, not as frequent now that I am on .190, but the problem has not gone away. I would be very interested to hear if anyone gets to the bottom of this.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
jolson

I'm having the same exact issue and spoke to someone from AT&T Tech who said he had received 4 calls from others with same problem. He started a case and claims that he was going to attempt to resolve (he wasn't sure if it was a network or operating system issue). I'm going to give it another week or so and then throw in the towel....big bummer because I really like the phone.
Old 11-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #10
RocklinBB

Went to ATT store today to talk with them and determine if I wanted to replace again or simply return. They had just gotten an update from Corporate that they are aware of this problem with Bold and iphone 3G. He indicated they were working on a fix and it wasn't a HW problem (phone or SIM), but some interaction between the two that could be fixed via some sort of network/OS update that was unknown at this time. I think he basically had no idea what he was talking about, but I am going to give it until next week to see if they can fix it and what the fix will be.

If it wasn't for this problem, I would love the phone, but I can't afford for it to be down and missing email/phone calls all the time.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:51 PM   #11
davetv77

Model: Pearl
Carrier: at&t

I work for an att dealer and we just got an e-mail addressing this problem

Issue: Customer with Bold, and now other devices are getting "SIM NOT PROVISIONED" or "SIM NOT ALLOWED" or SOS ONLY

Status: The issue is currently under investigation. A priority one call has been in effect for the past 24 hours and will continue until the issue is resolved.

Action: DO NOT process equipment exchanges for customers with these symptoms if at all possible. The device in most cases is not defective.

For new activations, set customers expectation that we are currently experiencing a temporary issue and that there phone may experience the above problem. The customer can try to soft reset a smart phone by removing the battery while the device is on then reassembling and powering on the device. Sometimes this will restore the service even if only temporarily. This is not recommended for all other devices as it may damage the equipment.
For existing customers, set customers expectation that we are experiencing a temporary issue and follow the same process above.

Hope this helps
Old 11-29-2008, 02:37 AM   #12
nomoresmartphones
Knows Where the Search Button Is

YUP, I had this same issue too. Bought the phone a week ago and had it happen once or twice in my home service area. Then I traveled for a week through New Mexico and Arizona. Had it happen in New Mexico, not at all in Arizona. Back in the Bay Area of CA now, we will see how it goes.

When I got by Bold, the rep gave me a brand new SIM card (needed a 3G compatible card), so I wasn't convinced that was the source.

LET'S KEEP OUR FINGERS CROSSED FOR A SOLUTION!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 03:19 AM   #13
Drewdatrip
Thumbs Must Hurt

There is a huge Que of sim cards that are being provisioned and basically the systems that activate them are being slower then normal. Should be resolved by tomorrow if everything pans out tonight.
Closed Thread