Old 11-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
nathan62969
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Default Torch or Facebook App bug?

Please Login to Remove!

I think this might be a bug on the Torch end, and not from the Facebook app end, though a FB app upgrade might have been the initial cause? Have not heard from BB.com yet or from FB, so thought I would go ahead and field my query here ;)

First few weeks of Torch with FB app 1.8, no problems.

Uploaded the FB 1.9 beta app. No problems

When the FB 1.9 went public, downloaded that. Problems began:

1) Would not receive several notifications in message folder. Would receive some, but not most.

2) Often, when liking or looking at comments in the FB app, I would get a popup saying something akin to "The Facebook server has returned an unknown error and is not able to fulfuill your request (1504)." Sometimes the request would still go through, despite the popup...

3) After scrolling down several pages in status update mode, I would eventually not be able scroll down further -- i.e. no further updates would load, even when clicking "more" in the menu.

Deleted and reinstalled app a few different times, batteries pulls,... No difference.

The deleted and installed the older 1.8 app.

#3 has been corrected, but am still not getting many notifications in message folder, and am still encountering either error popups and/or failed requests.

Anyone with similar experiences? Ideas, please?
Old 11-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Torch or Facebook App bug?

Others have reported issues with the install of FB. If the beta worked and the final version has issues I would say itxxx8217;s an application issue FB must resolve with RIM. Not sure where you can go with a complaint but possibly there is a way to pursue this via FB directly. I know the older verion I have works and do not intend to upgrade until the chatter dies down..
Old 11-28-2010, 01:35 AM   #3
nathan62969

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Others have reported issues with the install of FB. If the beta worked and the final version has issues I would say it’s an application issue FB must resolve with RIM. Not sure where you can go with a complaint but possibly there is a way to pursue this via FB directly. I know the older verion I have works and do not intend to upgrade until the chatter dies down..
Which version are you using? As I noted, I downgraded from 1.9 to 1.8.O.49, and am still having 2 of the 3 issues. Am willing to use an even older version,...if it resolves those issues (if indeed its an app problem).

Thanks for the feedback.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-03-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
MamaDukes

Carrier: AT&T

Hey there Nathan~
I have the EXACT same issue and have tried what you have. I have even wiped and reset my device to factory settings and as soon as I install facebook I get the same exact error- with the same 1504 error- and this is even when no other applications have been installed. I've searched for a fix and neither facebook or blackberry have a fix. Like you, this happened after the upgrade. In addition the 'input system error/the system is being restarted' error comes shortly afterwards when spell-checking.I've tried all the solutions suggested on the BB knowledge base-nothing works! I have NO problems with the facebook app on my iPhone. We definitely need a fix for this.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #5
nathan62969

Yep. I went to the BlackBerry.Com site, and the support for "...not receiving all notifications" didn't correct problem. That is to say, what I have or do not have checked off in either my mobile or notifications tabs on the main FB site, does nothing to explain why I receive only some FB notifications.

FB itself says for devices other than iPhopne or Android OS devices, support is handled with third-party developers...i.e. in our case, with BlackBerry.

So yes I would agree that it might very well be a device and/or app bug, given that I experience similar problems with different FB app versions.

Hands up in the air?
Old 12-03-2010, 08:21 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I have talked with my contacts at RIM and all I can get out of them is to contact your carrier and have the cases escalated to RIM via the normal method. They will not admit any issues with notifications, even though almost EVERYONE reports not getting all the notifications.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
nathan62969

Thank you John.

I didn't even realize that contacting the carrier (in my case, ATT) would amount to anything.

I very rarely missed notifications on my 9000 -- receiving as few and as randomly as I do now with my otherwise awesome Torch is odd.

Last edited by nathan62969; 12-03-2010 at 08:36 PM..
Old 12-03-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I didn't say it would amount to anything...that's just what they told me.

It can be difficult to get things like that escalated to RIM, even through your own carrier.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
nathan62969

So they punted, lol :P
Closed Thread