Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 01:33 AM   #1
Summerelli
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Boost
Angry Reactivate - 8330

Please Login to Remove!

Ugh, so after being on the phone with BB customer service for over an hour. I was advised to back up my BB and wipe it to get rid of the lock feature. Needless to say, that did not work and now my phone is not activated. Activation Required, is on my home page. I've been without use of my phone since 5:00 pm, it is now 10:32 pm. I don't have a land line, as my cell phone has sufficed over the last few years. I'm so frustrated and don't know what to do. Any advise is greatly appreciated. TiA

Last edited by Summerelli; 01-16-2011 at 01:43 AM..
Old 01-16-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Reactivate - 8330

What lock feature are you asking about? Did you put a password on it? Was the device previously on BES and has an IT Policy and password? Did you find one that was password protected?

To activate, you need to talk to the carrier. If you can't call, then you need to visit their store to have it done. Don't know if you can activate via Internet with Boost.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 01-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
Summerelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
What lock feature are you asking about? Did you put a password on it? Was the device previously on BES and has an IT Policy and password? Did you find one that was password protected?

To activate, you need to talk to the carrier. If you can't call, then you need to visit their store to have it done. Don't know if you can activate via Internet with Boost.
Yes, it's the lock feature with the password. No, it wasn't previously on BES. I'll be taking a trip to the carrier today. I tried activating it online but, of course, the MEID is being used, which is of course, me. I've restored most of my data, phone, etc. but it still requires Activation.

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

so the password is now something you know if you were abel to restore your data. the Carrier should be able to help you activate it. My suspicion is the BB is one that was on a corporate BES. Is this really your phone?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
Summerelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
so the password is now something you know if you were abel to restore your data. the Carrier should be able to help you activate it. My suspicion is the BB is one that was on a corporate BES. Is this really your phone?
Absolutely. I have the receipt and the box it came in.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Ok , New BB's usually are not locked when you receive them. Is it possibly a referb unit? Did you buy it from a carrier? If you perform a wipe it will delete all the user data. that why the help desk suggested that. What does not make sense is why you even have to do this. It might be better to have it replaced.

Go to this site and follow the instruction one more time to see if you can get it back to factory and from there see if you can get it back to working .

How to wipe ALL personal data from a BlackBerry device? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 01-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
Summerelli

It's not new, I've had my phone over a year. I enabled the lock feature and now want it disabled, it is an annoyance to unlock it for everything. When I called BB customer support (they couldn't do it) they instructed me to save my data to my BB desktop, wipe it, and then restore. In doing so, the lock feature is still enabled and now it requires Activation. I can unlock it however, I can't make or receive, calls, IM's, emails, etc. I can view my contacts, last phone calls, media, etc.

Quote:
Ok , New BB's usually are not locked when you receive them. Is it possibly a referb unit? Did you buy it from a carrier? If you perform a wipe it will delete all the user data. that why the help desk suggested that. What does not make sense is why you even have to do this. It might be better to have it replaced.

Go to this site and follow the instruction one more time to see if you can get it back to factory and from there see if you can get it back to working .

How to wipe ALL personal data from a BlackBerry device? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 01-16-2011, 12:38 PM   #8
tsac
BlackBerry God

Ok , generally that means the BB is on a corporate BES becasue the IT policy controls the OS. If not, as you said, try reading this attachement on passwords.

KB10766-How to change the password on the BlackBerry smartphone
Old 01-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #9
Summerelli

Quote:
Ok , generally that means the BB is on a corporate BES becasue the IT policy controls the OS. If not, as you said, try reading this attachement on passwords.

KB10766-How to change the password on the BlackBerry smartphone
So the young man at Radio Shack helped me. Activation required;
Options->Mobile Network->Menu->Start provisioning

The lock feature is still enabled as there is not a disable feature. All this and I still can't get this feature removed. I will have to enter my password to unlock my phone forever!
Old 01-16-2011, 04:37 PM   #10
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Options - security - password or similiar option and you should be able to remove the password by changing from enabled to disabled.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 01-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #11
Summerelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
Options - security - password or similiar option and you should be able to remove the password by changing from enabled to disabled.
Nope. I have; Options - Security Options - Advanced Options, Encryption, Firewall, Information, Security Wipe and S/MIME.

Under Advanced Options; Certificate servers, Certificates, Key stores, Memory cleaning, Software tokens, TLS ans WTLS.

Under Password; Enabled has a lock. I cannot disable this feature. Changing the password does not disable this feature.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #12
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

And you purchased this device BRAND NEW from the carrier?
And it was NEVER under an IT Policy?
Old 01-16-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
Summerelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post
And you purchased this device BRAND NEW from the carrier?
And it was NEVER under an IT Policy?
As I stated earlier, this is my phone, I have the receipt and box it came in. It has never been under an IT policy.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #14
tsac
BlackBerry God

Ok , donxxx8217;t misunderstand some of our questions. A lot of users who buy a used phone from various places have issues with the IT policies left on the phone. The suggestions we are making are based on users who have similar issues. If your willing to experiment and understand the methods of replacing the OS on the BB, then it might be wise to try to follow the xxx8220;remove IT policyxxx8221; instructions on either this site or the BB FAQ site. At least if you get it back to factory with new software you should be able to reload any data you want back. I would just do a selective restoral not a full restoral. Ixxx8217;m not sure if any of the options such as the password options are included in a full backup.
As for the questions on ownership, please donxxx8217;t be offended. A lot of people who find or steal a BB come to this and other sites for help on bypassing passwords and other stuff. We generally are cautious and if you ever loose your BB you would appreciate keeping the bad guys from using your BB when you might have personal data you want protected. Thatxxx8217;s the biggest reason we always suggest the BB have a password. Yes itxxx8217;s a pain but if you ever lose it you will be glad you have a password.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #15
Summerelli

Quote:
Ok , don’t misunderstand some of our questions. A lot of users who buy a used phone from various places have issues with the IT policies left on the phone. The suggestions we are making are based on users who have similar issues. If your willing to experiment and understand the methods of replacing the OS on the BB, then it might be wise to try to follow the “remove IT policy” instructions on either this site or the BB FAQ site. At least if you get it back to factory with new software you should be able to reload any data you want back. I would just do a selective restoral not a full restoral. I’m not sure if any of the options such as the password options are included in a full backup.
As for the questions on ownership, please don’t be offended. A lot of people who find or steal a BB come to this and other sites for help on bypassing passwords and other stuff. We generally are cautious and if you ever loose your BB you would appreciate keeping the bad guys from using your BB when you might have personal data you want protected. That’s the biggest reason we always suggest the BB have a password. Yes it’s a pain but if you ever lose it you will be glad you have a password.
I get that, and appreciate it, but I did state the BB is mine. I've finally been able to disable the password, with a complete wipe. My current issue is, I downloaded BB Mgr V5. I thought I downloaded V6, but V5 keeps coming up. Please advise. TiA
Old 01-16-2011, 09:02 PM   #16
tsac
BlackBerry God

Blackberry manager or desktop manager?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:05 PM   #17
Summerelli

Quote:
Blackberry manager or desktop manager?
Desktop manager. TiA
Old 01-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #18
tsac
BlackBerry God

Surprising because RIM only offers version 6 on their web site. Version 5 did not require the internet to be active so you may have a better version a lot of people want. If you do want the version 6 go to RIMxxx8217;s site. Both offer media management if you download the full versions.
where did you get version 5?

BlackBerry - PDA Software Downloads - Support & Services at BlackBerry.com
Old 01-16-2011, 09:20 PM   #19
Summerelli

Quote:
Surprising because RIM only offers version 6 on their web site. Version 5 did not require the internet to be active so you may have a better version a lot of people want. If you do want the version 6 go to RIM’s site. Both offer media management if you download the full versions.
where did you get version 5?

BlackBerry - PDA Software Downloads - Support & Services at BlackBerry.com
When I was on the phone with Boost BB customer service, the first person I spoke to advised to download v5 from blackberry.com; BlackBerry - Software - BlackBerry Software for Smartphones. The last person I spoke to advise downloading v6. Both are available on blackberry.com
Old 01-16-2011, 09:30 PM   #20
tsac
BlackBerry God

Ok , they suggested version 5 of the blackberry handheld software not DM. I suggest you download the DM if you donxxx8217;t already have it. When you try to upgrade to V5 , if itxxx8217;s on your PC it will go a lot faster and you can avoid using the internet to download while upgrading. If you loose the connection or it stalls because of slow internet it may install wrong. when you completely finished you will have a fully restored BB back to factory and the only thing you will need to do is a selective restore. Remember I'm not sure the password options are included in a backup so selective may be better.
Closed Thread