Old 12-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
nheather

Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TalkMobile
Default Beginner - Couple of Questions

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

My daughter got a Blackberry Curve 9300 for Christmas and I have a couple of questions.

Q1 - Blackberry ID
When she tries to go to App World she is prompted to enter her Blackberry ID. Is this something we have to create or is it something that is supplied with the Blackberry. We've looked through the paperwork but can't find anything so we assume that we just need to set one up - but want to check before doing that.

Q2 - Setting Up eMail
When we try to set up connection to her eMail server we get a message that they can't log in so the set up fails. I've set up loads of eMail clients before so I know the details entered are 100% correct. I have even tried adding the same details on my MS Outlook on my PC and it connected 1st time. So it looks like a BB issue. Is there something else I need to setup before hand.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 12-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Beginner - Couple of Questions

1 - The user has to create . . . You should see a link or a button or something.

2 - Did you get the BlackBerry data service put on that line for the Blackberry? And if so, where are you setting up the email, on the BlackBerry, or at the carrier's web portal?
Old 12-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

You can create your own BBID (BlackBerry ID) E-Mail username and password. Will be linked to whatever device your daughter is using. (Her BBID can follow her from device to device)

What type of e-mail? Who provides the mail service?
Old 12-27-2011, 04:10 AM   #4
nheather

Thanks for the help about Blackberry ID.

Registration - I have not done anything regarding setting up the Blackberry service. The BlackBerry was purchased with a contract including the Blackberry service. When we turned on the BlackBerry for the first time there were two messages on it - one to say that registration was successful and the second welcoming to Blackberry. I assume that the Phone Provider has done the registration.

As for the eMail, I am trying to setup a connection to a 3rd Party eMail server, run by an ISP.

I have contacted the ISP and they have confirmed that they welcome Blackberry connections and have many.

So it should be just a matter of entering the correct

eMail
username
password
eMail service type (POP3)
mail server name

but each time I do this I get a failure message.

We even get an eMail each time, stating that it failed and providing all the details we entered so we know they are getting through.

I have set up email clients many times on this mail server, so am 100% sure I have the details correct.

I even created an account on my PC MS Outlook using the same details just to rule out an ISP problem - this connected 1st time.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 12-27-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I'm not sure of all the different ways to go about creating a BlackBerry ID. I did it in app world when BlackBerry ID was first started. The OS 7 devices prompt you first thing. My advice is do it from the handset. If you can't figure it out, go to blackberry.com and navigate to the BlackBerry ID page.

On email, you should not have to enter server information unless it is an unusual case. An ISP shouldn't be out of the ordinary. When I asked where (or how) you were doing it, I meant whether you were using the handset email setup app, or what. Try the email setup app on the BlackBerry. You should only need to enter the email username and password, and BIS will figure the reset.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 12-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You might want to check out our FAQ for how to set up email.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
I'm not sure of all the different ways to go about creating a BlackBerry ID. I did it in app world when BlackBerry ID was first started. The OS 7 devices prompt you first thing. My advice is do it from the handset. If you can't figure it out, go to blackberry.com and navigate to the BlackBerry ID page.

On email, you should not have to enter server information unless it is an unusual case. An ISP shouldn't be out of the ordinary. When I asked where (or how) you were doing it, I meant whether you were using the handset email setup app, or what. Try the email setup app on the BlackBerry. You should only need to enter the email username and password, and BIS will figure the reset.
CORRECTION: That should have been email address and password.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
nheather

Quote:
When I asked where (or how) you were doing it, I meant whether you were using the handset email setup app, or what. Try the email setup app onthe BlackBerry. You should only need to enter the email username and password, and BIS will figure the reset.
I have only tried setting up the eMail using the email setup app on the handset.

I have my own domain called the-heathers.co.uk which is hosted by an ISP.

BB doesn't find this automatically, using just email address and password, but I wasn't surprised as most (all) of the email clients I have used in the past fail to find it automatically - I assume because it isn't a famous email or broadband provider.

The email server is POP3 and is accessed using mail.the-heathers.co.uk

I have set up many email clients without any problem.

My reference to my PC was just to say that after the BB email setup app insisted it couldn't log in I tried setting up an account on MS Outlook on my PC just to check whether there was an issue with the ISP. This worked first time but the BB continues to insist that it cannot log in with the details provided.

I'll have a look at the FAQ, although I don't see what more it can say as I have provided all the information (correctly) that the BB email setup app is asking for.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited by nheather; 12-27-2011 at 12:18 PM..
Old 12-27-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Do you have a Blackberry data plan or bolt on?

What is the exact error message?

Are you setting up email directly on the device itself or on your carrier's BIS site?

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I'm caught up now..... So, nheather, you have been trying to setup the email account using the app on the handset. Also, you are more or less following the steps as listed at KB15499-How to set up a BlackBerry Internet Service email address from the BlackBerry smartphone. You enter the information at step 12, but the email address doesn't integrate.

Did you happen to look at KB10453-Unable to integrate a third-party email account with a BlackBerry Internet Service account ? If not, this would be your next step. There are about a dozen possible issues to check. If you don't find the solution there, next step would be to call customer service at your mobile service provider (and be politely persistant if they try to put you off).
Old 12-28-2011, 06:10 AM   #11
nheather

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I tried again this morning and got the same fails. I then spoke to my ISP asking is they were blocking the login in any way and was given an emphatic 'NO'.

But after speaking with them tried again and it worked first time.

I have a sneaky feeling that they did find something and corrected it but didn't want to admit the fault - either that or very coincidental.

Anyway - working fine now.

Cheers,

Nigel
Old 12-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

More likely it was just one of those things that happens with computers and networks, not working for no apparent reason, but after several tries it works, for no apparent reason.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #13
miguelvmp

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone

Hélio! Firstly I want to say that I'm really happy so far with this forum/community.
Said that I would like to make a couple of questions about my new blackberry.
Some days ago I bought the new blackberry bold 9900, and start exploring it right away, with that my doubts appear with the RAM usage.

1st. My blackberry is suppose to have 756mb of ram, and wen I run the application ' scan monster ' / ' memory monster ', it only detects ' RAM : 139.6M / Alloc : 75.4M'. And my question is, isn't it supposed to have 700 and something M?

Secondly I would like to ask to those who really know about it.. Why does my blackberry only have 48% memory left since the phone is brand new and I only have basically the Memory Monster running on background?

Please reply me as soon as possible because I'm thinking about making a devolution of the phone, but in the other hand I really like this phone, and it's apparently working fine. I just don't want him to get really slow wen I start to put some more applications for travel or college on it.

Thanks for the support.

Regards,

Miguel MP
Old 12-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
miguelvmp

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone

Please help me
Old 12-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #15
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

You should not hijack someone else's thread.

Main memory contains the operating system and applications. So, out of the box you see the free space that is left over, for additional apps. However, BlackBerry apps are typically small; and for some exceptions, the app is written to use additional storage memory for app data.

Note that you should not be using main memory for media files (music, pictures, video). Use the built-in media storage memory (8 GB) or a microSD card for that.

I don't know anything about scan monster or memory monster.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Interesting that your running an App that is essentially monitoring everything and setting up a display and wondering why your memory is low. Checking their web site, they seem to avoid giving the resources required to run the app. Might be an app you should delete.
Closed Thread