BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
Arthur522

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default What is the meaning of "AXN" in received text message?

Please Login to Remove!

I sent an email from my gmail account to a friend's blackberry (don't know the model but think it an 8800 or something fairly new). The message was all text (no icons, no attachments) with the exception of a web address which appeared on gmail as an active URL hyper-link as you would expect. My friend replies to my gmail via her blackberry in the form of a text message to my verizon cell phone. I see the letters "AXN" in her message to me and ask her what the acronym means. She says that AXN was already in the message she received from me though there is no such string of letters in the gmail message as viewed from my 'sent mail' folder.

My friend is very concerned about her personal electronic security and now suspects that her 'enemies' are injecting viruses into her incoming messages. She now views me with some suspicion and I have promised her an explanation of just why AXN appeared on her BB. However, I cannot find an explanation of what the AXN code might mean in this context and would be very grateful if someone could provide me with one.

Thanks.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

First, there are no viruses for Blackberrys. She can rest assured that she has not been compromised.

I'm just guessing here, but do you or does she have an automatic signature with all your emails? Perhaps a strange font is confusing the Blackberry and converting something into gibberish.

As always, try both of you pulling your batteries, then send another email with an active link in it and see if this recreates the phantom "AXN".
Old 01-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
pshift
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ...
PIN: N/A. Went To Android!
Carrier: Busy Signal :)

I'm not sure but maybe this company can provide an explanation?

AutotaskExtend Network (AXN) - Extensions for Autotask

It's possible that somewhere in the email chain, something is being added, such as an advertisement, or something like that.
Closed Thread