Old 02-25-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 2432499F
Carrier: ATT
Default BoxTone DST Expert for BlackBerry (BETA v1.0) FAQ

Please Login to Remove!

Here is a quick review of some frequently asked questions and issues for the BoxTone DST Expert for BlackBerry (BETA version).

I canxxx8217;t seem to get the BoxTone DST Expert to connect to my SQL Server. Any suggestions?

Check the status of the Apache2 service from your Windows Services Control Panel. Make sure that the Apache2 Servicexxx8217;s xxx8220;LOG ON ASxxx8221; permissions. In order to authenticate to a Windows Trusted SQL Server the Apache2 Service MUST be set up to log on as the domain account that you have configured to read from the BESMgmt SQL Server Database.

For example if your domain name is xxx8220;BOXTONExxx8221; and your BES Admin account is named xxx8220;besadminxxx8221;

Open the Apache2 Service properties, navigate to the xxx8220;LOG ONxxx8221; tab, and verify that the radio button for xxx8220;Log on Asxxx8221; is selected for xxx8220;This Accountxxx8221; and NOT xxx8220;Local System Accountxxx8221;. In the xxx8220;This Accountxxx8221; field enter BOXTONE\besadmin, your password and confirmation of your password. Next select xxx8220;Applyxxx8221; and Windows should note that the BOXTONE\besadmin account has been granted xxx8220;Log on as a servicexxx8221; permissions. Next simply restart the Apache2 service and open the DST Expert Tool and log in with the same credentials.

NOTE:

xxx8226; If you still are having difficulties and running MSDE, SQL Server 2005 or named instances of SQL Server please see the next FAQ entry.

I canxxx8217;t seem to get the DST Expert to connect to my MSDE SQL Server, SQL 2005 Server or named instance SQL Server. How can I make it work?

xxx8226; Download this file http://www.boxtone.com/GetDocument.aspx?DocumentId=31 and extract the zip file which will give you a dll named ntwdblib.dll.

xxx8226; Open your services control panel and stop the Apache2 service.

xxx8226; Copy the ntwdblib.dll to your installed drive \BoxTone\Apache2 directory and replace the original file.

xxx8226; Start your Apache2 Service.

Why are there Data Discrepancies on the Total numbers with RIMxxx8217;s DST2007Query.exe and the BoxTone DST Expert?

We have seen the discrepancies and we are working with RIM to determine the issue.

Why does the BoxTone DST Expert show a number of users as xxx8220;Awaiting Patchxxx8221; when I know these users are successfully patched based on the Handheldxxx8217;s display?

After you download the helper if the helper does not successfully apply the patch on the first attempt it has the potential to not properly report back to the BES that the patch has been fully applied thus the BoxTone DST Expert Utility and RIM DSTQuery tool will incorrectly show these items.

The BoxTone DST Expert Guide mentions that this product will not work for SQL Server Authentication, is there a workaround?

Yes.

Navigate to your BoxTone install directory and enter the Apache2 directory ( C:\BoxTone\Apache2 ).
Open and edit your php.ini file.
On line 1168 of the php.ini file you should see:

mssql.secure_connection = On

Change this to:

mssql.secure_connection = Off

Restart the Apache2 Service and you're good to go.

I noticed a potential Security Risk with plain text passwords being stored on disk in the initial release of the BoxTone DST Expert BETA, is there a fix for this?

Yes.

BoxTone is now offering a patch to fix this issue and a number of other minor issues with the DST Expertxxx8217;s functionality. The required patch is version 1.0.1.7 and is named boxtone_dst_expert_upgrade_v1.0.1.7.exe. This patch can be obtained by emailing [email address] or by visiting the BoxTone website.

I noticed some issues with the BoxTone DST Expertxxx8217;s functionality working with my BES for Domino servers. Is there a fix as some data appears missing?

Yes.

BoxTone is now offering a patch to fix this issue and a number of other minor issues with the DST Expertxxx8217;s functionality. The required patch is version 1.0.1.7 and is named boxtone_dst_expert_upgrade_v1.0.1.7.exe. This patch can be obtained by emailing [email address] or by visiting the BoxTone website.

I noticed some issues when I attempt to view the DST Expertxxx8217;s data. I can see the column headings on the server or users view but I do not see any data below. Is there a fix?

Yes.

My SQL Server is running on a different port than the standard port of 1433, how can I get the BoxTone DST Expert to connect?

Letxxx8217;s assume that your SQL Server is configured to run on port 3333 and has a hostname of xxx8220;blackberry01xxx8221;.

From the initial DST Expert login screen. In the hostname field enter the hostname followed by a comma and then the port - hostname,port.
In reference to the example above your configuration line should read: blackberry01,3333.

I canxxx8217;t connect to my SQL Database. I see this error in the Apache Logs:
xxx8220;message: Could not locate entry in sysdatabases for database DATABASENAMExxx8221;

If there a dash(-) in your database name you will need to alter your login configuration to allow PHP to connect to MSSQL.

For example letxxx8217;s use the database name is xxx8220;BESMgmt-NTxxx8221;

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to your C:\BoxTone\Apache2\htdocs\inc\logins\ directory and open the login1.inc configuration file.

Look for the line starting with $msdb.

You should see the following:

$msdb = xxx8220;BESMgmt-NTxxx8221;;

You will need to change this line to the following:

$msdb = xxx8220;[BESMgmt-NT]xxx8221;;

After you have made the change please save and close the login1.inc file and re-launch the BoxTone DST Expert and log in again.
Boxtone
http://www.boxtone.com

Last edited by jsplit; 03-02-2007 at 12:49 PM..
Old 02-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

For more information:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/bes-...t-utility.html
Old 02-27-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
JPenrose
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: TELUS

Thanks for the FAQ jsplit. I was going bug-%$^# trying to figure out why I couldn't get the tool to display any data about my devices. I applied the Apache2 replacement DLL and bob was my uncle.

Thanks again for sharing this tool with the community!!

-J
Old 02-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #4
rehilliard
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9330
Carrier: Verizon
Default Bob doesn't like me...Oh Well.

Replaced the DLL with no luck.

Sorry Boxtone, not enough feedback on the error to help me troubleshoot.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehilliard
Replaced the DLL with no luck.

Sorry Boxtone, not enough feedback on the error to help me troubleshoot.
Can you give me more details in regards to your SQL environment?
Can you verify what your apache2 service is running as?
Boxtone
Old 02-27-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
Jacob G

Model: 8703
Carrier: Sprint

Jon,

I personally wanted to thank you and your company for going through the efforts to provide a product that I can truly say is great. The best part is it was free..

Thank you..
Old 02-27-2007, 10:32 PM   #7
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob G
Jon,

I personally wanted to thank you and your company for going through the efforts to provide a product that I can truly say is great. The best part is it was free..

Thank you..
Your welcome
Boxtone
Old 02-28-2007, 06:02 PM   #8
Sp!ke

Model: 8800
PIN: uh uh
Carrier: many

Nice application. Many thanks.

How do you view all the users, It seems to show about 300 (not all) per page but I cant see a page 2 link to see the rest?
Old 02-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

Isn't there a way to export to csv or print??
Old 02-28-2007, 09:52 PM   #10
DarienA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
PIN: 241EBD8C
Carrier: A&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jletendre
Isn't there a way to export to csv or print??
pssst look at the bottom left corner of the screen in user view!
Old 02-28-2007, 11:03 PM   #11
doni

Am I the only one who doesn't see the point of this? Because of RIM's apparently poor coding & DBA skills, this app has the same prob as the DST2007Query tool: it falsely reports handhelds as awaiting the patch, when it is in fact installed. In other words, this is just as useless as RIM's own tool. Even BoxTone's own FAQ says so. It's just a pretty GUI for the same incorrect info. Am I missing something?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:10 PM   #12
DarienA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by doni
Am I the only one who doesn't see the point of this? Because of RIM's apparently poor coding & DBA skills, this app has the same prob as the DST2007Query tool: it falsely reports handhelds as awaiting the patch, when it is in fact installed. In other words, this is just as useless as RIM's own tool. Even BoxTone's own FAQ says so. It's just a pretty GUI for the same incorrect info. Am I missing something?
You are correct, and I'll take a pretty GUI over a command line interface any day.

(cue since the dawn of time command line has more power arguments)
Old 03-01-2007, 12:20 AM   #13
JPenrose

Carrier: TELUS

I'll use this tool long after the DST fiasco is over and done (and go straight to Boxtone for the full product should I determine a need for it). I can fire this thing open and get a pretty decent gob of info (and a darn nice picture) for each BB user without having to RDP to the BES and open HHCM.

BoxTone provided a free tool and made it pretty clear that it was unsupported yet a dude shows up to answer questions, provide an FAQ and evidently eat a firehose full of crap; its free, you aren't obligated to use download it or use it.

Yes RIM produced a half-baked tool to check your patch progress so Boxtone, being a smart group of cats, sees an opportunity to give a tool to the community while at the same time getting some pretty valuable product face time with IT influencers, BES Admins, CIO, IT managers etc etc. No flies on these guys ;+)

\Rant
Old 03-01-2007, 02:10 AM   #14
boxtone

Model: 8300
Default DST Expert Feedback

Quote:

Doni,

We worked very hard to add value to the DST Expert by querying multiple BES, adding error code interpretation and adding a GUI. Our goal was to provide a utility to help manage the DST challenge; in doing so we needed to balance release date with software perfection. Unfortunately there are limits to what we can do with the data, time and resources available to BoxTone. RIM was very supportive in the creation of DST Expert and we continue to work with them as well as the community to improve the capabilities. We always welcome any constructive feedback.

We sincerely appreciate the response that we have received to DST Expert.

Regards,

Alan Snyder
CEO BoxTone
Old 03-01-2007, 02:30 AM   #15
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Thanks for the input, if you have any other suggestions or questions please feel free to email me directly and I'll do my best to address them or work them into the product.

Thanks

Jon
Boxtone

Last edited by jsplit; 03-01-2007 at 02:41 AM..
Old 03-01-2007, 02:45 AM   #16
jsplit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPenrose
I'll use this tool long after the DST fiasco is over and done (and go straight to Boxtone for the full product should I determine a need for it). I can fire this thing open and get a pretty decent gob of info (and a darn nice picture) for each BB user without having to RDP to the BES and open HHCM.

BoxTone provided a free tool and made it pretty clear that it was unsupported yet a dude shows up to answer questions, provide an FAQ and evidently eat a firehose full of crap; its free, you aren't obligated to use download it or use it.

Yes RIM produced a half-baked tool to check your patch progress so Boxtone, being a smart group of cats, sees an opportunity to give a tool to the community while at the same time getting some pretty valuable product face time with IT influencers, BES Admins, CIO, IT managers etc etc. No flies on these guys ;+)

\Rant
Thanks for the kind words
Boxtone
Old 03-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #17
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Model: 9000
PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

Quote:
Why is there no point? With hundreds of h/hs out there, I just can't compare a crappy csv dump file to a FREE GUI which shows the same data quickly, easily and best of all, to anyone anywhere in my org i give access to. You are correct about GI-GO regarding the data but if we are forced to work with crap data either way, isn't a dynamic GUI better than a flat file?

Once again I have to say thanks to the BoxTone guys, especially Jon, coz this tool has saved me hours, seriously. Fantastic marketing exercise as if I am ever given money for Mobile Mgt s/ware, guess where I'll be going first :->
Old 03-01-2007, 02:50 PM   #18
DarienA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuwhite
Why is there no point? With hundreds of h/hs out there, I just can't compare a crappy csv dump file to a FREE GUI which shows the same data quickly, easily and best of all, to anyone anywhere in my org i give access to. You are correct about GI-GO regarding the data but if we are forced to work with crap data either way, isn't a dynamic GUI better than a flat file?

Once again I have to say thanks to the BoxTone guys, especially Jon, coz this tool has saved me hours, seriously. Fantastic marketing exercise as if I am ever given money for Mobile Mgt s/ware, guess where I'll be going first :->
You and me both, I'd go there now except that my rollout is too small for what they usually support with their product. I met Joel director of marketing at their WES booth last year, seemed like a nice guy and I definitely think their monitoring package is a solid product from the demos I've seen.

I like others appreciate this GUI, I can quickly easily fire it up without any command lines with switches, etc and see the status of all of my users in regards to the patch. In addition at the very least I can use the tool going forward to compare OS versions for future upgrades, and just for informational sake I like the Carrier column.. I didn't even realize that bit of info was reported back from the handheld to the BES.

In addition I'd like to thank the various boxtone folk who have communicated with me via email and priv messages from the start of attempting to get the original tool downloaded through the release of the update.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #19
doni

Thumbs up

First of all, I meant no offense, I was honestly perplexed as to the utility of this product. When it was announced, I'd assumed it would magically be able to know the correct application state, unlike the RIM tool. When I discovered it obviously had to read the same tables from the same database(s) and therefore couldn't magically work around RIM's poor coding, I really couldn't imagine for what someone would use this. A pretty tool with the wrong info is no more use than a CLI->CSV tool with the wrong info. Hence the question rather than statement.

However, while all my BBs with the initial 1.5 or 1.5-upgraded-to-2.2 patch show incorrect application states, I've now found that all BBs since with only a fresh 2.2 push DO appear correct in both the RIM tool and BoxTone! Whoo-hoo! Knowing the info is correct, I now appreciate the lovely Boxtone GUI over the RIM tool and understand how it would be applicable. Certainly a pretty tool with correct info is much better than a CLI->CSV tool.

So I'd like to apologize if I unintentionally offended anyone at BoxTone and would like to thank those hard-working folks for all their time and effort to bring the community this excellent -- and yes, USEFUL -- tool. If I had a larger BB installation, I'm sure I would appreciate it even more and even take the time to evaluate BoxTone's other products (which I'm sure is the whole idea, notthattheresanythingwrongwiththat).

Anyhow, thank you Boxtone!
Old 03-02-2007, 03:08 AM   #20
boxtone

Model: 8300

Doni,

No offense taken and no need to apologize. Just enjoy the DST Expert, tell others and let us know if you have any suggestions.

Who knows, we just might have a few other interesting tricks/tools up our sleeve...

Alan
Closed Thread