BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 02:48 PM   #21
qc_metal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Except that you can run more than 1 server VM on a ESX/GSX host (or Microsoft Virtual Server)...the idea that you can allocate and limit resources to the server OS is great. Not to mention DR and availability, especially when getting into clustering.

VMWare 3.0 infrastructure allows pooling of completely separate hardware resources...but this is getting off topic.

I think I would have no problem running BES inside a VM. If you have 1000 users, you should be using SQL, which really I wouldn't recommend in a VM environment. So, use BES with a remote SQL connection...IMHO

Rob
Old 08-30-2006, 08:28 PM   #22
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielccc
Just so I understand.... are you saying if you have 1 server it is better to Install exchange on it and then install vmware on that machine and run BES using VM?
No this is a bad idea, put ESX on the box and run both in VMs, Also throw lots of RAM and processor at it too.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:35 PM   #23
FKIBBADMIN

Model: 8700g
Carrier: T-Mobile

I run a BES 4.1 on VMWare Server 1.0.0. Using a Dual Core DELL PowerEdge 1850, I have 1GB allocated to the BES. I have over 40 users currently running with another 50 slated. Since using an MSDE DB, HD space is definately not an issue. It has been running for over 6 months w/o issue. Once I de-commision our old BES from old hardware, I will be bringing it up on another VM for development purposes. I am very happy with it running on VM.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:14 AM   #24
T-Roy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Darth Vader

Support for VMware ESX server is added in BES 4.1.2 only.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:58 AM   #25
canadait

Model: 7750

Yes 4.1 SP2 is supported:

See

As per page 3 of the BES 4.1 SP2 Release notes:

"RIM certifies that the BlackBerry Enterprise Server operates on VMWare® ESX Server Version 2.5.2. As with any
deployment of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, RIM recommends that you take baseline measurements of
performance after you install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and then add users in stages to this server. In a VMWare
environment, other virtual machines might be running on that server, which might impact how many users the
BlackBerry Enterprise Server can support. See the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Version 4.1 Performance Benchmarking
guide for more information about performance measurements."
Old 11-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #26
technickel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint
Default Kb04405 Vm

BlackBerry Enterprise Server installations within Virtual Machine software, such as VMware® and Microsoft® Virtual PC, are currently unsupported and untested configurations.

Support for these configurations is limited, and it may be necessary to request duplication of any problems outside a Virtual Machine environment for further investigation.

VMWare ESX Server version 2.5.2 or later is supported with BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.1 Service Pack 2.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #27
Sackar

Model: 7100T
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc_metal
Except that you can run more than 1 server VM on a ESX/GSX host (or Microsoft Virtual Server)...the idea that you can allocate and limit resources to the server OS is great. Not to mention DR and availability, especially when getting into clustering.

VMWare 3.0 infrastructure allows pooling of completely separate hardware resources...but this is getting off topic.

I think I would have no problem running BES inside a VM. If you have 1000 users, you should be using SQL, which really I wouldn't recommend in a VM environment. So, use BES with a remote SQL connection...IMHO

Rob
Hi Rob,

I'm currently working on a Virtualization Project and as such interested in the conversation especially because one of our cudtomers has a Blackberry (BES v 4.0.5) which they would like to virtualize in VMware ESX Server v 3.0

The BIG Q is: Does this combination work ....uh without any (major) issues or is this a waste of time? I cannot imagine that RIM do not have any clear FAQ section...or maybe they do but have managed to hide it from me...HA HA HA

In any case I'd really appreciate any tips &/or feedbacks from any users who have (had) experiences with this combination.

Please do get back to me albeit to clarify either way?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:41 PM   #28
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackar
Hi Rob,

I'm currently working on a Virtualization Project and as such interested in the conversation especially because one of our cudtomers has a Blackberry (BES v 4.0.5) which they would like to virtualize in VMware ESX Server v 3.0

The BIG Q is: Does this combination work ....uh without any (major) issues or is this a waste of time? I cannot imagine that RIM do not have any clear FAQ section...or maybe they do but have managed to hide it from me...HA HA HA

In any case I'd really appreciate any tips &/or feedbacks from any users who have (had) experiences with this combination.

Please do get back to me albeit to clarify either way?
It might work but it's not supported by RIM. ESX is supported by 4.1 SP2
Old 02-02-2007, 05:56 PM   #29
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700

Yes it may not all be supported right now but this is the future and where its moving. I would put all my user's on it if I could and consolidate many physical servers. BES Works great on a vmware, havent had a problem with it at all--This is my test lab.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:16 AM   #30
adalta
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint
Default Running BESX 4.1.2 on VMware Server 1.0.1

As the title says, i'm running BESX 4.1.2/W2k3R2 on VMware Server 1.0.1 with Win2kR2 as a host (dual Xeon, 1gb ram). Installing BESX was pretty straightforward with RIM's installation guide.

The virtual BESX is running "only" 163 mb of ram as i'm running BESX to support my BB only (about 5 of our staff use windows mobile devices syncing to our Exch 03 Server). Not the full blown BES, but it's been working fine so far (about 2 wks).

I like running the BESX in a virtual env because i can back it up easily, test it easily and not have to worry about another server taking up rackspace.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:19 PM   #31
CanuckBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by amukhey
Yes it may not all be supported right now but this is the future and where its moving. I would put all my user's on it if I could and consolidate many physical servers. BES Works great on a vmware, havent had a problem with it at all--This is my test lab.

Working and being supported are 2 different things. I would guess that RIM is unlikely to support BES on any vm other than ESX.

And yes, I run lab stuff on both VMWare Server and MS Virtual Server. For production, it's strictly ESX.

Regardless of whether it runs or not, would you trust a production BES on a config that is not supported by RIM?
Old 02-05-2007, 02:53 PM   #32
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Yes I would, because it has been tested it works. If you dont feel like it can you can always back it up and restore the system state onto a physical server....life is simple.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:50 PM   #33
CanuckBB

Maybe we have different pain point. I plan for the worse. The whells fall off, none of the 'Berrys work. I can't figure it out and the CEO is breathing down my neck. Call RIM, and the only thing they will tell me is: 'sorry, not a supported config'. I don't think so.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:41 PM   #34
trancemaasta
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Optus Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB
Maybe we have different pain point. I plan for the worse. The whells fall off, none of the 'Berrys work. I can't figure it out and the CEO is breathing down my neck. Call RIM, and the only thing they will tell me is: 'sorry, not a supported config'. I don't think so.
Very good logic, you can't go wrong if you follow RIM's rules.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #35
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Yes but also, there is ways you can test. Worst case scenarios, you rebuild the server and you will have to use the same rim uid which the handhelds are already configured for. Once the server comes up, it will sync and route.

I understand your point but from a complete standpoint in consolidation for small environments, this is the type of solution necessary.

For big companies, you would still require a physical server with lots of ram and processing power.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #36
amukhey
CrackBerry Addict

Coming in 4.1 SP3

Research In Motion (RIM) plans to discontinue support for the xxx8220;You were BCCxxx8217;dxxx8221; message as of BlackBerry® Enterprise Server Version 5.0 (SDR 79671).

RIM certifies that the BlackBerry Enterprise Server operates on VMware® ESX Server Version 2.5.2. As with any deployment of the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, consider taking baseline measurements of performance after you install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and then add users in stages to this server. In a VMware environment, other virtual machines might be running on that server, which might impact how many users the BlackBerry Enterprise Server can support. See the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Version 4.1 Performance Benchmarking guide for more information about performance measurements.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #37
CanuckBB

We're actually not that big. I configured a sizeable VMWare server, IBM x3500, 2 5160 Xeon, 8GB RAM. 2 X 75GB and 6 X 300GB SAS drives. Hardware: $12K CAD. VMWare ESX 3.0.1 starter + maint: $2K CAD.

On this I run BES 4.1, IPMonitor, WSUS 2.0, Campaign Enterprise mail amrketing software, Liberum Helpdesk, File server, SQL 2005, SQL 2000 and Exchange 2003 front end. Each in their own VM. Performance is just fine. And all configs are supported.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:38 PM   #38
ZeroKool
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
PIN: nope
Carrier: verizon

I've got a BES 2.8 server on VM ware and it's ran fine. We are about ready to upgrade it to 4.1. Anyone know of any issues or anything other than the obvious
Old 03-06-2007, 08:41 PM   #39
doni
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

nothing VMware-specific, if that's what you mean.
Closed Thread