Old 04-23-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
MasterMerlin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 24A826A3
Carrier: AT&T
Default Question about Bold wifi settings

Please Login to Remove!

I apologize if this has been answered, but my search was unfounded while trying to use the BB.

I have two questions. The first is I am trying to connect to the free wifi while sitting in the local hospital. When I try to connect, I keep getting a message that says it does not trust the certificate. It gives me the several options, one of which is to trust. When I select this option it asks for the Handheld Password Store password. What is this? I have tried to use the password for the password keeper but that does not work. The second question is about the connection symbols inside of the Manage Connections. What does the horizontal line mean? It shows connected but instead of the check it shows the horizontal white line. This has me confused.

Thanks for your help. Again I apologize for asking if this has been covered.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

not sure about the first
the second the white line, means connected to the router, but not connected to blackberry infrastructure. you should get internet no problem, but BIS will be connected via Mobile network, not wi-fi.
once a check mark is there, it means you are connected to blackberry infrastructure and BIs wil be connected via wi-fi not mobile network.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 04-23-2009, 09:41 AM   #3
MasterMerlin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks Midnight for the quick reply.

BTW I guessed you were female due to the name. LOL
Old 04-23-2009, 09:56 AM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

No probs.

see! Thats what I think. I think Midnight is a girl name!
But I do tend to type a bit masculine sometimes.
I thought i'd clarify and because before my sig was "By reading this you can tell I couldn't think of something to put as my signature" or something along those lines.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 04-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
kirrinjones
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

Midnight? Really? I never thought of that as a name, but it is interesting to consider.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

well, as a name, I think a girl is more likely to pick it than a guy.
And I meant more user-name than real world name, though i'd change my middle name to Midnight.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #7
kirrinjones

PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

Oooh, that's what I was thinking that it would be cool for a stage name or a handle.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
hrbuckley

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMerlin View Post
I apologize if this has been answered, but my search was unfounded while trying to use the BB.

I have two questions. The first is I am trying to connect to the free wifi while sitting in the local hospital. When I try to connect, I keep getting a message that says it does not trust the certificate. It gives me the several options, one of which is to trust. When I select this option it asks for the Handheld Password Store password. What is this? I have tried to use the password for the password keeper but that does not work. The second question is about the connection symbols inside of the Manage Connections. What does the horizontal line mean? It shows connected but instead of the check it shows the horizontal white line. This has me confused.

Thanks for your help. Again I apologize for asking if this has been covered.
As much as I enjoy musings about Midnight's name, almost as much as reading her posts, I have an answer to the OP's first question.

What it is most likely asking for in that case is the password to the Handheld Keystore. It needs this password to make changes to the certificate store, which you asked by saying to trust the certificate.

If it is not asking you to set the password, then it would have been set at some point in the past. An obvious one to try is your device password, if you have one. But be careful. This is one of the passwords you only get 10 tries to get right before it wipes the device.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:24 AM   #9
MasterMerlin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
What it is most likely asking for in that case is the password to the Handheld Keystore. It needs this password to make changes to the certificate store, which you asked by saying to trust the certificate.
Here in lies my confusion. I don't know what the Keystore password is. I do not have a device password set and the password for the "password keeper" doesn't work. It does show 2/10 tries so I am very reluctant to keep trying / guessing.

Thanks for the assistance.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #10
MasterMerlin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
No probs.

see! Thats what I think. I think Midnight is a girl name!
But I do tend to type a bit masculine sometimes.
I thought i'd clarify and because before my sig was "By reading this you can tell I couldn't think of something to put as my signature" or something along those lines.
Well to me, it kinda goes with the whole wizard and dragons (in my twisted little mind). I could see your "name" used for someone / thing in the medieval times. But I'm a sucker for anything along those lines or fire related.

Thanks again for the help!!!
Old 04-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #11
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

I'm not sure on this but perhaps its passworded by default? And therefore could be a 0000 or 12345 combination.
Does it limit the amount of numbers you can input? This might narrow it down.

Ah! Hence your username and avatar. I'm a medievalist, love all that. Draven however is from The Crow film, and Midnight is a name i've long used in various combinations because its simple, rememberable and I couldn't think of anything else that cool. lol

Old 04-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #12
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Wait! I've found something.
If you go to options-security-key stores and click it, does it come up with a box to set a new password for it?
It's possible that because you havent set a password, it wont work, but by default it wants you to enter the password when going through it for the wi-fi settings.

Go to the above, set the password up, then try the wi-fi settings again, when it comes to the box, type in the newly created password and see if it works.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:38 AM   #13
MasterMerlin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hmmm.... when I go to the options, I have the ability to synchronize the key store password with the device password. It is set to prompt. Below that I have Certificate Service <None Available>. When I select that it give the option to "change" the password. When I type in a password it comes back invalid and increases my "tries". I am now at 4 and I've tried the two passwords that have been used on the BB.

I'm at a real loss on this. I definitely don't want to "wipe" my BB by trying different passwords. I did get it to finally work yesterday, but after a lot of playing and pushing buttons, I'm not exactly sure how I did it.

I might try setting the device password and selecting the synchronize option to try that. Maybe that will work.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #14
hrbuckley

Quote:
Here in lies my confusion. I don't know what the Keystore password is. I do not have a device password set and the password for the "password keeper" doesn't work. It does show 2/10 tries so I am very reluctant to keep trying / guessing.

Thanks for the assistance.
Ok, I will try to explain, but this is my bread and butter so if I loose you don't hesitate to ask for clarification.

Almost all internet and communications security is now based on Public Key Cryptography. With this Cryptography each entity (person, store, bank) gets two keys, one they keep secret called the private key, one that is published publicly. If the private key is used to encrypt, or lock, data then only the public key can decrypt, or unlock, it. Also if the public key is used to lock data, only the private key can unlock it.

So if you want to send me a message that only I can read you would lock it with my public key. As long as my private key is secure, only I can unlock it. If you want to prove that the message is from you, you could also lock it with your private key. I would know that it was from you because your public key could unlock it. The process is a bit more complicated but this is called digitally signing the message.

This is all well and good, but what if some nefarious person publishes a public key fraudulently under my name? So some well know firms have set up private keys that they use to digitally sign other peoples' public keys. The result of this is called a certificate. They also sign their own public keys to produce Certificate Authority Certificates. These, as the name implies, are certificates that authorize other certificates. Browsers are distributed with a collection of these Certificate Authority or (CA) certificates. In the Blackberry they are stored in the Certificate Store. Now when you browse to a secure web site, the server can prove it is genuine by digitally signing some data with its private key, which your browser can verify with the certificate which in turn is verified by a CA certificate. Obviously you still need to keep nefarious people from introducing their own CA certificates into your store of trusted certificates.

The Handheld Key Store is where any of the private keys you may have are stored. It is common for a person to not have any private keys.

The Certificate store and Key store share a password. The first time some process needs to make a change to the Certificate store, or the Key store, the user will be prompted to set the password. This can be an on the Blackberry event, or it can happen while the Blackberry is connected to the Desktop Manager. Unfortunately it is not always obvious to an uninformed user what exactly is happening, so they end up with a password set that they eventually forget. I get one or two people I support in the same situation as you in the course of a year.

You have a couple of options:

1) ignore the situation. It may be that you will never again have to make any changes to your certificate or key store.

2) wait until you have a quiet day where you can take a very complete backup of all your data. When you know you have a good backup, do a security wipe of your blackberry then restore all the data except your certificate/key stores. Then go in an set the password Options -> Security Options -> Key Stores to something you will remember (the same as your password keeper, or save it in your password keeper).

I hope this is clear. If not feel free to PM me with any questions.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:46 AM   #15
hrbuckley

Quote:
Hmmm.... when I go to the options, I have the ability to synchronize the key store password with the device password. It is set to prompt. Below that I have Certificate Service <None Available>. When I select that it give the option to "change" the password. When I type in a password it comes back invalid and increases my "tries". I am now at 4 and I've tried the two passwords that have been used on the BB.

I'm at a real loss on this. I definitely don't want to "wipe" my BB by trying different passwords. I did get it to finally work yesterday, but after a lot of playing and pushing buttons, I'm not exactly sure how I did it.

I might try setting the device password and selecting the synchronize option to try that. Maybe that will work.
If you try this, and the key store password is already set it will ask you for the old password before you can change it.

You will find there are no ways around Blackberry security features, which can be frustrating when you are the bona fide owner.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:02 AM   #16
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

It would appear then at some point you have set it up without really realising or remembering.
option 2 of hrbuckley's post before the one above sounds like your best option.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #17
MasterMerlin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hrbuckley that makes sense to an extent. I'm not overly computer literate. When this password was set, could it have been an email address? The reason I ask is that I have used the two common passwords that I use on the BB and neither have worked. I also tried searching today since I'm in the office and have the benefit of the desktop. I have seen in other posts where the original password was 0000, but this was for a different model. I also tried that and now I'm at 6 of 10 attempts. I'm getting ready to do a backup in case I loose everything.

I'm getting ready to leave for an equipment show, so I need my trusted device to work for the next week. There should be wifi there at the show and if I can't get it to work I guess I can always turn it off while I'm there.

Thanks so much for your help!!! I truly appreciate it.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #18
hrbuckley

The backup - secure wipe - restore should go well, barring power failures and things. You won't loose any of your third party apps, though some will loose their settings.

I have never seen a default password on a Blackberry. This does not mean some vendors haven't put them in, but it is unlikely. If this is a corporate unite, your IT people may have set it. Other than that the device or desktop manager asked for the new password. The way it asks is not as attention getting as it maybe should be. I've caught myself just short of setting other people's key store passwords when installing software or other support on my desktop. So it could have been anything that got typed into the dialog.

It isn't as bad as it sounds, the last time I ran out of password attempts, it wouldn't let me try anymore, but I hat to type in Blackberry to actually start the wipe.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:31 AM   #19
MasterMerlin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks again. I should have stated in the first post that I am on BIS. This would have eliminated some possible confusion. If some of the Mods read this, that would be something that I would suggest to put under the info below the model. That way poor saps like me that didn't remember to put that in their original post would have it covered.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #20
MasterMerlin
Thumbs Must Hurt

When it rains, it pours!!! When I went to back up it errors out. It stops at "Browser Channels" and give an "error backing up database(s)". Any idea what is causing this?
Closed Thread