BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
SHAPE
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2
Exclamation xPlayer: now with Internet radio functionality! Need beta testers!

Please Login to Remove!

SHAPE Services is starting a beta testing of the well-known xPlayer.

xPlayer v.1.1 was improved with a totally new functionality and we want to hear what you think about it:
  • Internet radio support:
    * All data plans supported
    * Wi-Fi in OS 4.2. and 4.3 is supported
    * Full radio stations management
    * Pre-loaded stations
    * Create or remove a station
  • Forward/Rewind feature is now available
  • Recent list integrated:
    * Files
    * Folders
    * Playlists
  • User Interface improved:
    * Navigation
    * Shortcuts
Your thoughts about the new Internet radio functionality are highly welcome!
Tell us what radio stations you listen to. We might add them to the pre-loaded stations list in the official release version!

You can download the beta version at http://www.shapeservices.com/freedow...layer_beta.zip or over-the-air at http://wap.shapeservices.com/downloa...ta/xplayer.jad

Send us your feedbacks, comments and suggestions about the new features to [email address]. You can also forward support requests with application logs from xPlayer -> Menu -> Support & About.

As always, most active beta-testers will be rewarded!

[cross-posted Beta You Than Me]

Last edited by SHAPE; 07-03-2008 at 10:34 AM..
Old 07-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
pshift
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ...
PIN: N/A. Went To Android!
Carrier: Busy Signal :)

Can't get the radio stations to work. Keep getting disconnect errors on my 8330.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
BarracudaBob
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

It works on my 8310, but it is a little choppy. I'm trying some different buffer settings to see if I get get it to work any better.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:52 PM   #4
sstroud
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile

The radio works for me, some drop outs on EDGE, I'll try Wi-Fi later. the problem I am having is when I try to play from my SD card, I get a message

The Application X-Player has attempted to open a connection a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy.

the only option I have is OK which just takes me back to the player screen. I'm on BIS, so I don't know about an IT policy. All the premissions are set to Allow. If I turn off the firewall, it works, but that causes other problems.

Since I am only trying to play from my SD card, why would it need to contact anyone anyway?
Old 07-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
BarracudaBob
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaBob View Post
It works on my 8310, but it is a little choppy. I'm trying some different buffer settings to see if I get get it to work any better.
I've tried all the buffer settings now and Internet Radio is still choppier than when I use Moodio. However, I sometimes get high pitched noise when using Moodio and I don't get that with XPlayer even on the same exact station.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
sstroud
Thumbs Must Hurt

two things, I don't like the audio outout setup, if it's set to handset and you plug in the headphones, it does't auto switch. 2nd for the radio if you set it to Wi-Fi, it seems that means WF only. WF Preferred or use EDGE if WF not available would be much better.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:52 PM   #7
Ketchums
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold

I'm downloading it, now. Always been a fan of SHAPE Services' products (I use IM+ and VR+), so I'm looking forward to it!
Old 07-04-2008, 07:47 AM   #8
doctor_jc

Model: 8310
Carrier: Telcel Mexico

I have an 8310 device, in Mexico, using EDGE, conection to the radio station are slow, I can't listen a complete song, I listen like 30 pieces of the song even if I set 500kb for the stream and even when I have all the bars of the signal in my device.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #9
doctor_jc

Carrier: Telcel Mexico

The player is the same than the last version, couldn't find the forward and rewind function, the time counter for the song stands in 00:00 and doesn't moves, in earlier version I had the headset output but automatically changed to handsfree when it was not plugged in. Anyway this player is waaaaaaaaay better than the bbplayer. Sorry for my grammar, I speak spanish and a little english.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
Kamau
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
PIN: 21499CE8
Carrier: Verizon, T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted

The radio is the same on my 8100. No matter which buffer setting I use, or no matter what my signal strength I have, it's still choppy.

Kamau
Old 07-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #11
Jaime

Carrier: Claro Chile

It's working fine, howerver it stops from time to time. An interner radio search would be great!

best
Old 07-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #12
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Wirelessly posted

I'll probably play around with this this weekend, does this version fix the little issue where it would skip to the next song while in the middle of a another one?

Edit: Nope, still tends to start a new song while in the middle of the previous song. O well. The new interface look real good a great improvement from the original version.

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by SteveO86; 07-05-2008 at 01:20 AM..
Old 07-04-2008, 08:00 PM   #13
xxxmerlinxxx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Does it support sirius or XM? That would be a deal sealer for me and I'm sure many others. Of course having it work well would be nice too!
Old 07-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #14
pick3222
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
Carrier: verizon
Default firewall problems w/ xplayer on 8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstroud View Post
The radio works for me, some drop outs on EDGE, I'll try Wi-Fi later. the problem I am having is when I try to play from my SD card, I get a message

The Application X-Player has attempted to open a connection a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy.

the only option I have is OK which just takes me back to the player screen. I'm on BIS, so I don't know about an IT policy. All the premissions are set to Allow. If I turn off the firewall, it works, but that causes other problems.

Since I am only trying to play from my SD card, why would it need to contact anyone anyway?
I'm getting the same error on my vzn 8830.; the bb player works fine, but xplayer.....???
Old 07-04-2008, 09:16 PM   #15
sstroud
Thumbs Must Hurt

i was able to fix this by using JL CMDR and the resettofactory option to clear all IT settings. After restoring, now under the setting for RADIO I no longer have any of the options such as adding stations or setting the connection. All I have are SAVE and BACK. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times but it's still the same.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:31 AM   #16
Ketchums

All in all, so far, seems like a capable substitute for the regular Blackberry media player.

I wish there were some type of thing in which I could see the album art for albums, just because I'm big on stuff like that. But the Blackberry hardware occasionally has issues with album covers and album titles, so I can understand that.

Also, I think that the default filename sorting should be alphabetical, just because that's how the default player is, and that's what people would be used to. Glad that there's an option to change it, though.

Otherwise, I like it so far.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #17
fencepost
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

It would be nice if the preloaded radio stations indicated the streaming rate, or if it was possible to find out the streaming rate.

I think there should be clarification of the connection options, particularly since they're in two places.
Current options:
  • Default (What does this mean?)
  • Direct TCP (does this include WiFi? What if the Use WiFi checkbox isn't checked? If WiFi isn't checked, does this mean use BIS? Is there a non-WiFi, non-BIS option that I don't know about?)
  • Force MDS/BES (is pretty clear - go through my office)
  • Use BIS Transport (is pretty clear - go via EDGE & RIM's servers)
  • Does the "Use WiFi" checkbox allow the use of WiFi or require the use of WiFi? (Appears to require the use of WiFi)

I had one crash in it, but once I switched to allowing WiFi use and bumped the buffer to 500 it was pretty decent.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #18
bigmattfromjersey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
PIN: 31A50A36
Carrier: Sprint

Going to try this out now.

Edit: Everytime i try to play a station it gives a error connection broken then says playback error.
Sprint 8330

Last edited by bigmattfromjersey; 07-05-2008 at 11:44 PM..
Old 07-06-2008, 03:28 AM   #19
Ketchums

Oh, here's something big...It also won't let me play music on my headphones on my 8800. When I plug em in, it just keeps playing on my blackberry speakers instead of in the headphones
Old 07-06-2008, 05:20 AM   #20
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

I think they will have to lower the quality to make it work on EDGE. Otherwise it seems EDGE just doesn't deliver. Anyone used it on EDVO.
Closed Thread