Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 11:18 AM   #1
jessejf

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile
Default Can receive but not send email; how do I change smtp server

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I have successfully setup my work e-mail (imap on Blackberry Internet Service) so that I receive e-mails but I can't send.

When I try to send e-mails, I get the following error:
The following message to <cityed@standard.net> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'<jfruh@standard.net>: Sender address rejected: Blocked'

My tech admin at work said this is a security thing that our company smtp server will not send my e-mails because I am connecting to the internet using T-Mobile Internet service. This makes perfect sense to me.

So what I need to do is change my BB to send using a T-Mobile smtp server (the admin said) or another smtp server that will accept me. He did not, however, know how to adjust settings on a Pearl or within the T-mobile web site.

Is the server address that I'm looking for myemail.t-mobile.com ? Or is that server address obsolete?

Additionally, how do I get my BB to send email using an smtp server of my choosing? I've looked at settings on the handset and at bis.t-mobile.com where I setup the email address in the first place. Neither appears to have an option to choose a particular smtp server.

Please help. Each of three times I have called T-mobile's BB techs they have seemed very clueless.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:33 AM   #2
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

'Sender address rejected: Blocked' - this should tell your tech admin your company smtp servers refuse to accept emails that you are sending.

It is your office SMTP server that does not accept you. It must be reconfigured to allow your emais, not reject them. Tell it to your tech admin.

You can not change BB to send using T-Mobile smtp servers.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
jessejf

That's not the answer I hoping for, but thanks for the help.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
jessejf

One more question: How can I find the IP address that my BB uses so that my admin can add it to the white list? Will the BB use an IP that is moreless static or does it change frequently?
Old 04-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

It is happening because your email has FROM: address <jfruh@standard.net>.

Your office SMTP server looks at email coming from the Internet and says: wait a minute! It is office email address, all correspondence sent from it must be internal, how come it is coming from the Internet? Must be fake, must be spammer!

Your tech admin can do the following for you:

- Whitelist blackberry (RIM) SMTP servers
or
- whitelist your sender email address.

Changing SMTP server at BIS/TMO side, even if it were possible, would not help because your office SMTP server refuses sender email address, not blackberry SMTP server.

To verify, do a quick test: create blackberry email address in your blackberry account, send email from that email address to your office. It should arrive no problem.
That would prove the issue is not SMTP server but sender email address.
Closed Thread