Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 04:29 AM   #1
peter t

Model: 7100v
Carrier: vodafone
Default Getting into IPD files

Please Login to Remove!

Hi

I have a quick question about backup files I wanted to put to you.
I recently upgraded alot of blackberrys to a new server, and alot of addresses which were on the blackberry handheld weren't included. These were addresses which were copied over from a sim card address book, or just setup manually on the handheld. Basically any addresses which weren't on the users Outlook Contacts already.

So I backed up each handheld before the server upgrade, and now I have all these IPD files, and I can't do anything with them. I can't transfer them over through the Desktop Manager because the address book is read-only. And I can't get into those files throughthe computer.

In some cases there's up to 30 entries missing from the users address book and I can't figure out how to transfer them over.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:12 AM   #2
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

WARNING: This procedure will delete all the current entries in the Address Book, and therefore MIGHT wipe all contacts out of Outlook. TEST IT FIRST! If it does delete all the current entries in Outlook's Contacts, they MIGHT go to Outlook's Deleted Items (maybe someone else can advise? I think they do but don't remember absolutely!). If they do, empty the user's Deleted Items before proceeding, that way you can simply restore all the deleted Contacts when the process is done. As I said, test the procedure first - some of this info is coming from memory (although I'm testing some as I write this too).

The IPD files will only work with the Backup applet within the Desktop Manager. I just tried something that should work for you.

Install DM on a machine that does NOT have Outlook installed (it might work if Outlook is installed, but no profiles are available too). Start DM and make sure that in the Intellisync applet NOTHING is checked under SYNCHRONIZE NOW or in AUTO START.

Start DM and connect the BB. If DM doesn't find the BB, go to Connection Settings and hit the DETECT button. You'll be prompted for the BB's password if there is one, and DM will establish the connection.

Now start the Backup and Restore applet, and hit the ADVANCED button. The applet will read the data available on the BB. Now select FILE --> OPEN from the Advanced window's menu and select the appropriate IPD file. Go down the list of backed up items (on the left), click on Address Book, and click the right (->) arrow to push the data onto the BB. As noted above, this will delete all current entries in the address book, and I don't know if they can be recovered from the user's Outlook Deleted Items.

If you test and find that the contacts deleted from the BB do not end up in Deleted Items, you can always back up the existing contacts to a PST, let BB and Outlook sync up, then restore the contacts from the PST.

Once you're done, you should make sure that no addresses are on the user's SIM that are not in Contacts. From the Address Book on the BB, click the wheel to bring up the menu, and select SIM Phone Book. Once there, click the wheel and select Copy All To Address Book and tell the users to only keep emergency numbers there - not anything they normally use - it should only be there if, for some reason, the rest of the Address Book is lost.

Hope this helps.

J
Old 05-18-2006, 10:03 AM   #3
Grimlin
CrackBerry Addict

Model: K1
PIN: Positive Intrinsic Negative???
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have found that you have to disable wireless sync before doing a restore from an IPD.

This can be done from the enterprise activation screen by keying " cnfg" and setting wireless sync to "No". Perform the restore and then repeat the process to turn it back on. In a few moments, the Activation will restart on the device and double check all of the databases.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
JoveroC
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100
Carrier: Nextel and Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjgrim
I have found that you have to disable wireless sync before doing a restore from an IPD.

This can be done from the enterprise activation screen by keying " cnfg" and setting wireless sync to "No". Perform the restore and then repeat the process to turn it back on. In a few moments, the Activation will restart on the device and double check all of the databases.
This worked great for me. Thanks.
Closed Thread