BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
rachel308
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Angry OS 4.5 upgrade problem- BIG problem...

Please Login to Remove!

I was trying to upgrade my Sprint 8130 to 4.5. It was at the stage where the BB screen is white with the hourglass. It had said it had already backed up my phone info. It was at this stage for about 5-6 mins when my dog jumped up on the couch and knocked the USB loose! The upgrade obviously errored out. It told me the backup info was on my computer and I could restart the process. Well, the folder that is supposed to contain my backup info is non-existent on my computer. My phone works, and says it is running 4.5 in the "About" screen, but I have no contacts and all my calendar appts are all gone. I REALLY could use the calendar appts, and would definitely appreciate restoring my contacts. Is it possible, or is my dog going to the pound tomorrow?
Old 02-25-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Mark PPG
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Rogers

Wirelessly posted (9000)

Search your computer for "loader" and see if anything with todays date pops up. When you do an os upgrade the file is saved with the word loader. Hopefully you can find it.

Last edited by Mark PPG; 02-25-2009 at 11:04 PM..
Old 02-25-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
rachel308
Thumbs Must Hurt

Another problem, the only way I know how to do an upgrade is from the website when it searches for whether I need one. When I try this, it gives me an error in the application loader. SO if I find the file, how exactly do I upgrade?
Old 02-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
rachel308
Thumbs Must Hurt

I found 3, but I know which one I want from the time stamp. It's a .txt file, is that what I need?

I apologize for all the questions, I've never upgraded my OS before.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:55 AM   #5
rachel308
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've given up trying to restore my contacts and calendar, I can't find the backup file, so it obviously didn't backup correctly.

At this point I am desperate to just get my phone working normally again. It says it's running 4.5.0.131. The phone (radio) is operating fine, but I have no data services: no internet, no e-mail. In the setup wizard the only option I get in BES or no e-mail (I use BIS). There is no e-mail setup like I used to have. In Mobile Network under Options, it says Data Services are "ON". I am really at my wits' end.

I have unsuccessfully tried to downgrade the OS, and I can't just reinstall 4.5 because it won't recognize there's anything wrong with the one that's on there.

At this point, do I need to contact my carrier?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
zocster
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: ask
Carrier: Vodafone NZ

You might want to try this? follow the instructions http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-jl_cmder.html
Old 02-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Before wiping with JL_Cmder, try some of these steps to see if you can get your device working how you want.

As for the backup file. Do a search of your PC for *.ipd. That is the file extension your backup will be. Look for the most current date.

As for the browser and everything not working, try resending your service books. The quickest way would be go into Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing table > Menu Key > Register Now. Make sure you're in an area with adequate coverage. Also are you seeing 1X or 1XEV in capital letters or lowercase?

If the re-registering the HRT doesn't work, try these steps.

How do I resend my service books? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 02-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #8
rachel308
Thumbs Must Hurt

I looked at the ENTIRE computer for anything with an extension of .ipd already, got nothing. It probably cleared from the temp file when the phone got unplugged. I tried resending my service books, but it didnt work. I noticed I was receiving my e-mails (got a few overnight) but when I tried to send one I was told I didn't have any message services installed.

I was seeing the 1XEV in lowercase, not uppercase.

I decided to go for the wipe, honestly expecting to have to call and order a new phone today. But it went well. I had a probelm connecting and wiping, but once I used the command prompt to run the loader, it went fine. Wiped and reintalled 4.3 in about 7 mintues, and reinstalled 4.5 in about 10.

I had my browser and e-mail setup app, but I did have to resend my service books for my individual e-mail accounts to show up. I am now seeing the 1XEV in uppercase.

The only things missing at this point are the memopad and tasks apps that came with my phone originally. Do they come with 4.5?

I appreciate all the help getting this to work.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
jsconyers

Yes they do come with 4.5.

Connect your device back up to your PC and launch App Loader. See if there is a check next to Memo Pad and Tasks, as well as any other apps you may want installed. If not, put a check next to them and select next.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
rachel308
Thumbs Must Hurt

Oh, thanks. I shouldve tried that, I think my brain is so fried from all this I just want to keep thinking the worst!

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:34 PM   #11
jsconyers

No problem, we're here to help
Old 02-26-2009, 09:53 PM   #12
pcwilliams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: vzw

You may also try uninstalling the current version of 4.5 from your pc & then installing an older version. Once that installs properly, you can then try installing 4.5.0.131. Make sure the dog is outside tho'!
Old 02-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #13
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel308 View Post
I decided to go for the wipe, honestly expecting to have to call and order a new phone today. But it went well. I had a probelm connecting and wiping, but once I used the command prompt to run the loader, it went fine. Wiped and reintalled 4.3 in about 7 mintues, and reinstalled 4.5 in about 10.
Sounds like she has it all running again
Closed Thread