BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 04:49 PM   #21
PixelBit

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

My .exe file size is 104MB. I tried a couple of source links on this forum already. Is this the right size?

I just downloaded the .141 version also. It's also 104MB, and giving me the same error message. Is anyone else having this problem? What am I doing wrong?
Old 04-30-2009, 05:07 PM   #22
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

No, 104MB for the .141 is correct.

Try rebooting your PC from off and try executing the downloaded exe file again.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #23
miseroth

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon

How do you check to find out what OS you are currently running?
Old 05-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #24
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by miseroth View Post
How do you check to find out what OS you are currently running?
Options, About, on your Storm.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #25
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: Ask

I am currently running .132 and its very stable. .141 seems to buggy and I am waiting for another beta..

But when I see these posts regarding giving up on the Storm, I am going to have to call BS. Especially when someone claims they are going back to the Curve from the Storm. BS, BS, BS...

The betas are out there and if you are too lazy to load one and would rather wait on Verizon to spoon feed you, then you should probably get a slider phone with a nice keyboard. The Blackberry is not for you.

I am not being intentionally antagonistic, however the haters and the iPhone freaks coming in here talking about the Storm should just take it elsewhere.

The Storm truly rocks!

Verizon 9530
Old 05-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #26
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
I am currently running .132 and its very stable. .141 seems to buggy and I am waiting for another beta..

But when I see these posts regarding giving up on the Storm, I am going to have to call BS. Especially when someone claims they are going back to the Curve from the Storm. BS, BS, BS...

The betas are out there and if you are too lazy to load one and would rather wait on Verizon to spoon feed you, then you should probably get a slider phone with a nice keyboard. The Blackberry is not for you.

I am not being intentionally antagonistic, however the haters and the iPhone freaks coming in here talking about the Storm should just take it elsewhere.

The Storm truly rocks!
The Storm "rocking' is a matter of opinion. The OS isn't stable, so how do you claim the Storm "truly rocks"?

I take exception with you demeaning people who are "too lazy" to try all the various unreleased OS's. Each one seems to come with it's own sets of quirks, including your admission about 141. How about you stop being so condescending to your fellow posters here? Not everyone wants to make a hobby out of getting the Storm to run properly.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:14 PM   #27
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Respectfully asking that the two of you take your debate to PM. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #28
Mark PPG
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Rogers

Wirelessly posted (9000)

Double post. Please delete

Last edited by Mark PPG; 05-03-2009 at 10:15 PM..
Old 05-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #29
Mark PPG
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Rogers

Wirelessly posted (9000)

I'm actually back on the Storm. I loaded 141/5.0 on mine. Radio file wasn't much better for EDGE. So I loaded the .90 radio file and while its far from perfect, I actually missed it when I went back to my bold.

I'm looking forward to future os releases.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:56 AM   #30
wilbuur
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

I changed the keyboard settings, made a hybrid .90/.122 OS and did the paper under the battery trick... I have no problems holding an EDGE connection. Some minor battery life issues, but aside from that ther phone is almost bug free.

I am quite pleased with the Storm on AT&T. I agree with XelhaBB - if you don't want to try the new OSs, you shouldn't have a BB.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #31
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1812dave View Post
The Storm "rocking' is a matter of opinion. The OS isn't stable, so how do you claim the Storm "truly rocks"?

I take exception with you demeaning people who are "too lazy" to try all the various unreleased OS's. Each one seems to come with it's own sets of quirks, including your admission about 141. How about you stop being so condescending to your fellow posters here? Not everyone wants to make a hobby out of getting the Storm to run properly.
To the moderator, there is no "debate". Someone's feelings were hurt by my opinion, which I feel was very carefully and tastefully worded. I am sure they are well on their way to getting over it by now.

Dave was incorrect however. There are several beta OS builds that were stable and had no real quirks to speak of. OS .99, .103., and currently .132 are very stable. There is no "admission" associated with stating that fact that certain hybrids and .141 have issues. It's a simple fact.

I have been posting in the forum for quite some time and a majority of the posters agree with my assessments. Owning a device like the Blackberry is no different than owning a computer. Everyone who owns one in this forum has made it a "hobby". By virtue of joining and contributing within this forum you have contradicted your own statement David.

Owning a Blackberry requires downloading updates and dealing with the conflicts associated with running third party applications. Owning a Blackberry is a "hobby" Dave. Sorry, but just about everyone in this forum will agree. There is nothing "condescending" in stating the obvious facts.

.99, .103, and .132 are extremely stable. If you are still running .75 I understand your frustration, but what smartphone out there didn't emerge without needing OS upgrades? I agree with you in certain respects. RIM should have developed the phone a little more before rushing it out for the Christmas shoppers. However, just about every cellular phone I have ever owned needed to have its OS updated. If you take the opportunity to rely more on the forum and download one of the aforementioned beta OS builds, you opinion about this phone will change substantially.

That the Storm "rocks" is an opinion held by just about everyone in this forum. We share an experience and opinions that help us grow more in touch with our beloved devices. How does the Storm rock? It married touch screen technology with Blackberry capabilities. I encourage you to join the team and allow yourself to slide into this hobby. You won't regret it.

Verizon 9530
Old 05-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #32
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
To the moderator, there is no "debate". Someone's feelings were hurt by my opinion, which I feel was very carefully and tastefully worded. I am sure they are well on their way to getting over it by now.

Dave was incorrect however. There are several beta OS builds that were stable and had no real quirks to speak of. OS .99, .103., and currently .132 are very stable. There is no "admission" associated with stating that fact that certain hybrids and .141 have issues. It's a simple fact.

I have been posting in the forum for quite some time and a majority of the posters agree with my assessments. Owning a device like the Blackberry is no different than owning a computer. Everyone who owns one in this forum has made it a "hobby". By virtue of joining and contributing within this forum you have contradicted your own statement David.

Owning a Blackberry requires downloading updates and dealing with the conflicts associated with running third party applications. Owning a Blackberry is a "hobby" Dave. Sorry, but just about everyone in this forum will agree. There is nothing "condescending" in stating the obvious facts.

.99, .103, and .132 are extremely stable. If you are still running .75 I understand your frustration, but what smartphone out there didn't emerge without needing OS upgrades? I agree with you in certain respects. RIM should have developed the phone a little more before rushing it out for the Christmas shoppers. However, just about every cellular phone I have ever owned needed to have its OS updated. If you take the opportunity to rely more on the forum and download one of the aforementioned beta OS builds, you opinion about this phone will change substantially.

That the Storm "rocks" is an opinion held by just about everyone in this forum. We share an experience and opinions that help us grow more in touch with our beloved devices. How does the Storm rock? It married touch screen technology with Blackberry capabilities. I encourage you to join the team and allow yourself to slide into this hobby. You won't regret it.
With all due respect, I don't want my phone to be my hobby. Not even a secondary or tertiary hobby. Because I am open to the possibility of getting another Storm or the next Storm, I continue to watch BB news daily. Eventually they will fix what's wrong. Right?? I'm sure you would claim that RIM won't fix this, at some point. And again, for the umpteenth time, I reiterate that the hardware is very nice. Other than the omission of a proximity sensor and a bit of thickness/weight, the Storm is a nice piece of engineering, when viewed in context of the current crop of cell phones.

I've had no less than 7 cell phones. None needed updates except the 8th--the Storm.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:28 PM   #33
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Oh well--if owning a BlackBerry can't be the hobby, posting in the forums about it, can be a good replacement hobby
Old 05-06-2009, 11:57 AM   #34
havok735

Model: 7750

I have to say that I have loved my Storm more with each OS upgrade I have done. Right now I am on a .141/5.0 Hybrid that is just sexy.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #35
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

"Sexy" is the word Havok...amen!

Dave, welcome to the Blackberry world. What you have is a phone and basically a portable computer. EVERY Blackberry required updated OS builds. It's the nature of the beast, and what a "sexy" beast it is.

Verizon 9530
Old 05-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #36
dave1812dave
Thumbs Must Hurt

I don't equate a cell phone with sexy. Not even one that doesn't need 3 reboots a day.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #37
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Oh Dave, I feel your pain. I do recall the horrors of running .65 and .75 in my Storm.

I urge you, with all the cyber-influence I can muster, to install your DM and load .132 into your phone.

Gone will be your frustration and you will definitely have a new opinion about your Storm. No more reboots, stability and smooth operation. I assure you, if you give .132 a whirl, your attitude towards this phone will change dramatically.

Verizon 9530
Old 05-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #38
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Oh Dave, I feel your pain. I do recall the horrors of running .65 and .75 in my Storm.

I urge you, with all the cyber-influence I can muster, to install your DM and load .132 into your phone.

Gone will be your frustration and you will definitely have a new opinion about your Storm. No more reboots, stability and smooth operation. I assure you, if you give .132 a whirl, your attitude towards this phone will change dramatically.
I recall having a similar conversation with you a few months ago.

Take XelhaBB's advice. He was once in the same boat as you (as he mentioned). He didn't want to load a non-official OS on his device. Look at how he likes the device now that he has.

If you don't like the OS, you can always roll back to your current version. There's no harm in doing so.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 05-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #39
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I enjoy trying new updates, I cant wait for them to come out. Dave it is the nature of the beast. Im not sure which phones you owned previously that didnt require updates. Maybe you should go back to one of those so you will be happy.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #40
Digicam
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530T
Question Not giving up...but...

I am not giving up on the STorm, but I am tired of waiting for an official release. Can you tell me if, when I load a new system, other than the Verizon system (yeah I know, what Verizon system), if I will then have to reload all apps. etc. I will of course BU the system. But is it seamless or like a wiped phone starting from scratch?
Closed Thread