BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #1
pacergh

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon
Default Blackberry 8703e versus 7250 -- Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

My Blackberry 7250, purchased 2 years ago, is on its last legs. Or, perhaps more accurately, it's last screw. Each of the other three screws have actually fallen out.

So, I go to the local Verizon store to participate in the "renew every two" contract renewal rebate. I get there, and the 7250 is no longer available. In the end, I walk out with an 8703e.

The first thing I notice is the difference between the shape and design, specifically as it pertains to the holster.

The 7250 has a curved back that facilitates gripping it to remove it from the holster. The 7250 is much easier to remove from the holster than the 8703e. The 8703e requires the use of two hands to easily remove the phone from the holster. It can be done with one hand, but getting a good grip to do this is difficult because of the different body design.

A call to Verizon, for no other real reason than I am irritated, reveals the following information: the Verizon tech guy on the phone has an 8703e, and it took two weeks for his holster to loosen up well enough for him to be able to easily remove the phone.

A small irritation, but really it is something that should change over time. With this in mind, I press on in discovering other differences between the two phones.

At this point, it is relevant to mention that an iPhone was viewed earlier in the day. As an Apple fan (but a little short of fanboy), I must say I was impressed. I must also add I have never been impressed with Cingular/AT&T's network as compared to Verizon, but I feel the iPhone encounter colored my experience with the 8703e.

The most obvious difference between the two phones -- 7250 and 8703e -- is the screen. The 8703e has a brighter, crisper, nicer screen. Coupled with this screen are slicker graphics. I actually preferred the icon graphics from the older 7250, as they were more simple and more clean. This, however, is a personal preference. Further, the 8703e is theme-able, so this may be fixable to my preference. (Some of the themes I tried were a little too glitzy for my curmudgeon-y taste, but the possibilities are there.)

The next difference I noticed was the keyboard. The keys are closer together on the 8703e than on the 7250. This allows the phone to be smaller in width, but also makes it more difficult to quickly type. Still, this is something that can be remedied with practice.

At this time, I received a phone call from my fiance. I answered the call. The graphics for incoming phone calls are smaller and less invasive. The 7250 took up the entire screen with "INCOMING CALL," the name, and the number of the caller. The 8703e has this information in a smaller dialog box. The text is smaller and less easy to read.

At the end of the call, I attempted to hang up using the ubiquitous cancel button below the scroll wheel. This does not work. Instead, I am provided the option to "Continue call and access the home screen: OK/Cancel?" This is in one of the small, dialog-esque boxes. Later I discover the purpose of one of the three new buttons below the screen and above the QWERTY keyboard is to "cancel" my phone calls. Instead of being able to cancel a phone call using the cancel key on the phone's side, I have to use the red "hang up" key on the front of the phone.

These three keys are symbolic of the changes RIM has made to the Blackberry since my beloved 7250 was released. The three buttons, from left to right, are a green "phone" button, a smaller "web" button, and a red "hangup" button. The green and red buttons are similar to those found on many normal cell phones.

The "web" button, when pressed, brings up the web browser. This is kind of nice, but not necessary -- if you rely on your Blackberry for lots of web browsing . . . I feel sorry for you. Pressing the "phone" button does something similar to pressing the "phone" button located at the top of my 7250 -- a list of numbers and people I have recently called and who have recently called me appears. Unlike the 7250, if I begin typing a name my the phone does not display the sorting list of contacts which contain those characters. To me, this is a huge loss -- this was one of the killer features of the 7250, in my opinion. The number of keystrokes-to-call was much less with this feature. I was unable to find an option to keep the old 7250 functionality.

Which leads to making phone calls. The 8703e is, after all, a phone. In order to make a call, you can begin dialing on the home screen. Or, you can click on the phone button, mentioned above, and choose a number from the list. If you do not see one you like, you can begin dialing a number there as well. In addition, you can open the "contacts" list and begin typing the name of a contact. As you type, the phone sorts through the contacts for you. A nice feature, as it was with the older 7250. However, once you click on a contact your first option is "View" rather than call. You must either view the contact and THEN select call, or scroll down that initial menu to the "call" option. This adds an extra layer of selection in order to make a call -- a layer not present in the 7250's "phone" button ability. As stated above, I really dislike this loss of a feature.

Three new buttons, on the left side and the top, are present on the 8703e that are not on the 7250. The 8703e moved the 7250's top "phone" button to the front of the phone. Now, on the top of the 8703e, there is what appears to be a "mute" button (not tested by me) and a power button. The power button appears to be more akin to a sleep button, but it can also power down the device if held in for a period of time. On the left side, below the USB port and the earbud jack, the 8703e has a "profiles" button that allows you to quickly choose whether you want your phone to ring, vibrate, etc -- basically it pulls up the "profiles" application. These are not bad additions, but not necessary in my opinion. Different people may view different buttons as being the most relevant. Your mileage likely varies by style of use.

Back to the software, one thing jumped out immediately -- an e-mail configuration button. This, essentially, points the browser to the Verizon blackberry e-mail configuration page. I believe there are some modifications, but that is essentially how it works. This is an added feature I find to be nice and convenient. Now if I can remember my password. (Note: BES users may find this less useful.)

Another feature I noticed was separate icons for phone logsand messages. In other words, I have on "inbox" for all messages -- phone, e-mail, SMS, etc -- but also separate icons for just phone logs, SMS, and e-mail. This is nice, as I like to log all of my phone calls -- outgoing and incoming. Also nice are these separate icons for each e-mail account I am pulling e-mail from. Currently I pull from three accounts. This is an added feature I find to be nice.

Conspicuously lacking is a Bluetooth icon. On my 7250, I am able to turn Bluetooth on and off using an icon from the home screen. I was unable to find this (although I may have missed it) on the 8703e. On the 8703e, I had to go through the option choices to enable Bluetooth. Not a big deal for me, for I do not use a Bluetooth headset, but if I did this would be irritating.

All of the little things, added together, led me to return the 8703e and re-activate my 7250. New screws were purchased from online in order to self-repair the 7250. I may purchase an old, used 7250 to replace my current one as well.

I acknowledge my curmudgeon nature, and the influence of a the iPhone viewing earlier in the day, on my decision. The main point of frustration was my inability to quickly sort through contacts by pressing the phone key. I could call people in no more than 5 button click (including click qill clicks, etc) with this feature on the 7250. The 8703e requires far more. Another significant irritation was the inability to easily get the phone out of the holster.

Still, I would very much appreciate the comments of other 8703e users, past or present, who may shed some light on my trials and travails with the device. It is unlikely I will avoid upgrading my phone after another year. I love the sturdiness and simplicity of the 7250, and I would like another Blackberry, but I doubt RIM will move away from some of their changes in design philosophy. On top of that, I am not sure how much time I want to spend configuring my phone to do what I want. After two years as an IT desktop tech support employee, working in a Windows environment, I only have patience for things that just work, and with minimal configuration.

Any suggestions or other views, please comment. I love Blackberries generally, and I want to continue to use them, but I am not sure I can with the current 8703e unless some new light is shed on the device. For now, my old and clunky 7250 will have to do.

Sincerely,
Pacer
Old 07-09-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
JJGRAZ
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A

I'm not sure how you are gripping it to pull it out, but I hold my thumb on the belt clip to hold it down, then use the rest of my fingers to push the BB toward my body and up out of the holster at the same time. I didn't figure it out at first, but after the first time I tried that, now I do it all the time and it's very natural.
There's a big Bluetooth icon on the main screen, when you select it with the wheel it says either 'turn bluetooth on' or 'turn bluetooth off', depending on its current state.
The 'web' button can be re-configured. I have mine set to 'keyboard lock'.
It would be nice to just start typing a name from the main menu. You can configure the 'web' button to pull up the phonebook and then just start typing . I think this would be the same as using the green 'phone' key. I just go to the phonebook icon.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Dodge DeBoulet
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530

Another feature of the new SEND/END keys you apparently missed is that holding down the SEND (green) key for 2 seconds will take you directly to the address book, and you can start typing the contact name you're looking for. Find the person you want, press SEND again, and you're calling (if there's more than one phone number for that contact, though, you'll be presented with a list of choices).

Simply pressing and releasing the SEND key takes you to the Phone app, where you can dial a number directly.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
pacergh

JJGRAZ,

Thanks for the reply!

The way you described taking it out of the holster was the method I tried to use. The holster was just too tight to do it easily. I hear it gets better, but still . . . I do not recall my 7250 doing this.

I looked for the Bluetooth icon and did not find it. I wonder if the default Verizon layout does not have it on the home screen? I do not know . . . I may have simply missed it in the clutter.

Great idea about the web button. The only problem is, still, that there are extra clicks from the address book. I wonder if it is possible to default address book to show "call" instead of "view" when you click on a contact with the scroll wheel.

Altogether, I simple was not impressed by the newer user interface. I feel Blackberry is moving away from its strong UI roots and imitating "dumb" phones. Still, what else is there?

-Pacer
Old 07-09-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
JJGRAZ

Missed that one! Thanks!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
Dodge DeBoulet

FYI, the Bluetooth on/off icon doesn't appear until you attempt a pairing for the 1st time. Once you've done that, it stays on the home screen.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:25 AM   #7
JJGRAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
FYI, the Bluetooth on/off icon doesn't appear until you attempt a pairing for the 1st time. Once you've done that, it stays on the home screen.
Well that explains that!

I do agree with Pacer in that I hate sitting there configuring the phone for a long time, but I'd rather do that than be the victim of what some programmer THINKS I want and not being able to change it.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
Dodge DeBoulet

I came from a conventional cell phone, so I didn't have a prior BB to compare the 8703e to. I was initially concerned about the number of steps it took to do certain things, but then I came across Stinsonddog's excellent list of BB tips.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergh View Post
JJGRAZ,

Thanks for the reply!

The way you described taking it out of the holster was the method I tried to use. The holster was just too tight to do it easily. I hear it gets better, but still . . . I do not recall my 7250 doing this.
-Pacer
It is hard at first, yes, but it only requires a small push with the thumb while pulling the BB out. It was the same way with my 6230 and 7290 when I got them new.

Turning off "Dial from homescreen" in phone options would let you use keyboard shortcuts on the homescreen. That would give you easy access to many features. Setting the convenience keys to whatever app you wanted would cut down on number of cllicks too.

I went from an 8700g (similar to 8703e) to a backup 7290, and finally to 8703e now. This was last week or so. I thought typin on the 7290 would be easier, but it wasn't. I was used to the 87xx series keyboard and was more comfortable with the 8703e. I guess it just takes time to get used to a new keyboard.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #10
NG1208

Default I Understand!

I also made the move from the 7250 to the 8703e on Verizon, right after my 7250 found its way to the bottom of a lake. Here's how I've coped so far:

1. Resigned myself to the fact that the 7250 is gone.

2. Convinced myself that the louder ring is worth something.

3. Told myself that the animation of the local weather map is valuable.

4. Rejoiced over the fact that the LCD screen is no longer exposed and that I don't need another $20 screen protector.

5. Admitted that the 8703e is faster at everything it does.

What I can't seem to forget:

1. The 7250 screen was MUCH better outside or in bright light.

2. That like you, I HATE the fact that I can't hang up a call with the side button.

3. I'm getting older and the 7250 keyboard was easy to see and work. The 8703 keys are different colors and closer together. I don't like 'em.

I always said that there was one thing that I really liked about the 7250 and one thing that I hated. The thing that I liked was the size. It was BIG! The thing that I hated was the size. It was BIG! Ultimately, I decided that I needed that wide keyboard and wouldn't worry about how clumsy it was to carry.

Your biggest gripe seems to be with the carrying case. I scrapped mine on the second day and bought one at Best Buy. It's a BlackBerry product, and it's been perfect.

The longer I have the 8703e, the better I like it. But there are things that it will never do as well as my old one. If they could put the 7250 guts in a slightly larger 8703 case and make all of the buttons white, I'd be almost completely happy. If they'd make it float, that would be the ultimate.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #11
pacergh

Default Follow up . . .

So, after taking back the 8703e and going back to the 7250, disaster struck. Disaster came in the form of a whirling carnival ride, a pretty girl, and centrifugal force. Disaster left with a broken 7250 screen.

After some frustrations in getting a replacement from Verizon, I now have an 8703e in hand. Well, it is actually sitting on the coffee table next to my Mac.

I am not amused, but the fates have intervened and, when I was a child, I ate like a child, I spake like a child, but now that I have grown I must put away those childish things . . . like unreasonable attachments to fading technology.

So, I have an 8703e, let the learning begin!

I wanted to thank every poster for the helpful posts. I am reading over them again, and will likely be posting some other questions as well.

I am also planning on picking up Plazmic in order to see if I can make a theme that will be better suited to my tastes. We'll see.

Thanks all!

-- John
Old 08-07-2007, 06:02 PM   #12
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T

I came from a 7250 which was total BRICK when it came to how tough it was. I don't miss mine at all compared to the 8703e. I like the fact that if I restart the 8703e, I don't have to wait 10 minutes for it to boot up. With the 7250, I could make a pot of coffee before it finished booting. I like the mp3 ringtones and the better themes on it the 8703e also.

It took me a total of 1hr to get used to the changes. By the end of 2 days it was coming out of the side holster nice and easy. The ONLY complaint that I have is the auto dimming of the screen and how it's a pain sometimes when outside to see the screen but I'm getting used to that. I hope they release a new patch to increase the vibrate because it's not as strong as the 7250 was.

All said and done, I think it's a MUCH better device then the 8830 which the store offered to give me at the same price and toss in a 2GB card for free.

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 08-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #13
JJGRAZ

I didn't realize it at first but successive presses of the power button cycle thru brightness. Starts off at almost full, then full, then off, then almost full again. So if I'm outside, I just automatically press it once. Always seems bright enough.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #14
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 35AABF91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGRAZ View Post
I didn't realize it at first but successive presses of the power button cycle thru brightness. Starts off at almost full, then full, then off, then almost full again. So if I'm outside, I just automatically press it once. Always seems bright enough.

off = sleep mode (the same as putting it into your holster)
Old 08-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #15
genxguy

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

Glad I found this thread. I just switched from a Nextel 7520 to a Sprint 8703e. Main reasons for the switch:

1. Better coverage with Sprint in this area
2. According to our wireless consultant, 7520's are hard, if not impossible, to come by now that they're being phased out. We can either wait for our current devices to become worthless, or trade them in now for a $50 credit per unit.
3. Size difference (most of us hate the 7520's bulkiness)
4. Battery life (haven't confirmed this yet, though)

So far I've noticed almost every item that Pacer mentions, but most are not major negatives for me. For the ones that are, I'm hoping to get some useful feedback here so that I can answer/fend off any questions or complaints from the users... :P Yes, I'm the IT support guy AND I was 'influential' in the decision to switch.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:53 PM   #16
Smhblackberry
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 312B4645
Carrier: cricket

as for getting the phone out with one hand, I put some rough sided velcro on the back to get a good grip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacergh View Post
My Blackberry 7250, purchased 2 years ago, is on its last legs. Or, perhaps more accurately, it's last screw. Each of the other three screws have actually fallen out.

So, I go to the local Verizon store to participate in the "renew every two" contract renewal rebate. I get there, and the 7250 is no longer available. In the end, I walk out with an 8703e.

The first thing I notice is the difference between the shape and design, specifically as it pertains to the holster.

The 7250 has a curved back that facilitates gripping it to remove it from the holster. The 7250 is much easier to remove from the holster than the 8703e. The 8703e requires the use of two hands to easily remove the phone from the holster. It can be done with one hand, but getting a good grip to do this is difficult because of the different body design.

A call to Verizon, for no other real reason than I am irritated, reveals the following information: the Verizon tech guy on the phone has an 8703e, and it took two weeks for his holster to loosen up well enough for him to be able to easily remove the phone.

A small irritation, but really it is something that should change over time. With this in mind, I press on in discovering other differences between the two phones.

At this point, it is relevant to mention that an iPhone was viewed earlier in the day. As an Apple fan (but a little short of fanboy), I must say I was impressed. I must also add I have never been impressed with Cingular/AT&T's network as compared to Verizon, but I feel the iPhone encounter colored my experience with the 8703e.

The most obvious difference between the two phones -- 7250 and 8703e -- is the screen. The 8703e has a brighter, crisper, nicer screen. Coupled with this screen are slicker graphics. I actually preferred the icon graphics from the older 7250, as they were more simple and more clean. This, however, is a personal preference. Further, the 8703e is theme-able, so this may be fixable to my preference. (Some of the themes I tried were a little too glitzy for my curmudgeon-y taste, but the possibilities are there.)

The next difference I noticed was the keyboard. The keys are closer together on the 8703e than on the 7250. This allows the phone to be smaller in width, but also makes it more difficult to quickly type. Still, this is something that can be remedied with practice.

At this time, I received a phone call from my fiance. I answered the call. The graphics for incoming phone calls are smaller and less invasive. The 7250 took up the entire screen with "INCOMING CALL," the name, and the number of the caller. The 8703e has this information in a smaller dialog box. The text is smaller and less easy to read.

At the end of the call, I attempted to hang up using the ubiquitous cancel button below the scroll wheel. This does not work. Instead, I am provided the option to "Continue call and access the home screen: OK/Cancel?" This is in one of the small, dialog-esque boxes. Later I discover the purpose of one of the three new buttons below the screen and above the QWERTY keyboard is to "cancel" my phone calls. Instead of being able to cancel a phone call using the cancel key on the phone's side, I have to use the red "hang up" key on the front of the phone.

These three keys are symbolic of the changes RIM has made to the Blackberry since my beloved 7250 was released. The three buttons, from left to right, are a green "phone" button, a smaller "web" button, and a red "hangup" button. The green and red buttons are similar to those found on many normal cell phones.

The "web" button, when pressed, brings up the web browser. This is kind of nice, but not necessary -- if you rely on your Blackberry for lots of web browsing . . . I feel sorry for you. Pressing the "phone" button does something similar to pressing the "phone" button located at the top of my 7250 -- a list of numbers and people I have recently called and who have recently called me appears. Unlike the 7250, if I begin typing a name my the phone does not display the sorting list of contacts which contain those characters. To me, this is a huge loss -- this was one of the killer features of the 7250, in my opinion. The number of keystrokes-to-call was much less with this feature. I was unable to find an option to keep the old 7250 functionality.

Which leads to making phone calls. The 8703e is, after all, a phone. In order to make a call, you can begin dialing on the home screen. Or, you can click on the phone button, mentioned above, and choose a number from the list. If you do not see one you like, you can begin dialing a number there as well. In addition, you can open the "contacts" list and begin typing the name of a contact. As you type, the phone sorts through the contacts for you. A nice feature, as it was with the older 7250. However, once you click on a contact your first option is "View" rather than call. You must either view the contact and THEN select call, or scroll down that initial menu to the "call" option. This adds an extra layer of selection in order to make a call -- a layer not present in the 7250's "phone" button ability. As stated above, I really dislike this loss of a feature.

Three new buttons, on the left side and the top, are present on the 8703e that are not on the 7250. The 8703e moved the 7250's top "phone" button to the front of the phone. Now, on the top of the 8703e, there is what appears to be a "mute" button (not tested by me) and a power button. The power button appears to be more akin to a sleep button, but it can also power down the device if held in for a period of time. On the left side, below the USB port and the earbud jack, the 8703e has a "profiles" button that allows you to quickly choose whether you want your phone to ring, vibrate, etc -- basically it pulls up the "profiles" application. These are not bad additions, but not necessary in my opinion. Different people may view different buttons as being the most relevant. Your mileage likely varies by style of use.

Back to the software, one thing jumped out immediately -- an e-mail configuration button. This, essentially, points the browser to the Verizon blackberry e-mail configuration page. I believe there are some modifications, but that is essentially how it works. This is an added feature I find to be nice and convenient. Now if I can remember my password. (Note: BES users may find this less useful.)

Another feature I noticed was separate icons for phone logsand messages. In other words, I have on "inbox" for all messages -- phone, e-mail, SMS, etc -- but also separate icons for just phone logs, SMS, and e-mail. This is nice, as I like to log all of my phone calls -- outgoing and incoming. Also nice are these separate icons for each e-mail account I am pulling e-mail from. Currently I pull from three accounts. This is an added feature I find to be nice.

Conspicuously lacking is a Bluetooth icon. On my 7250, I am able to turn Bluetooth on and off using an icon from the home screen. I was unable to find this (although I may have missed it) on the 8703e. On the 8703e, I had to go through the option choices to enable Bluetooth. Not a big deal for me, for I do not use a Bluetooth headset, but if I did this would be irritating.

All of the little things, added together, led me to return the 8703e and re-activate my 7250. New screws were purchased from online in order to self-repair the 7250. I may purchase an old, used 7250 to replace my current one as well.

I acknowledge my curmudgeon nature, and the influence of a the iPhone viewing earlier in the day, on my decision. The main point of frustration was my inability to quickly sort through contacts by pressing the phone key. I could call people in no more than 5 button click (including click qill clicks, etc) with this feature on the 7250. The 8703e requires far more. Another significant irritation was the inability to easily get the phone out of the holster.

Still, I would very much appreciate the comments of other 8703e users, past or present, who may shed some light on my trials and travails with the device. It is unlikely I will avoid upgrading my phone after another year. I love the sturdiness and simplicity of the 7250, and I would like another Blackberry, but I doubt RIM will move away from some of their changes in design philosophy. On top of that, I am not sure how much time I want to spend configuring my phone to do what I want. After two years as an IT desktop tech support employee, working in a Windows environment, I only have patience for things that just work, and with minimal configuration.

Any suggestions or other views, please comment. I love Blackberries generally, and I want to continue to use them, but I am not sure I can with the current 8703e unless some new light is shed on the device. For now, my old and clunky 7250 will have to do.

Sincerely,
Pacer
Closed Thread