Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 10:21 PM   #1
Krycek
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default "Escalating" volume question

Please Login to Remove!

I just recently purchased a 7100t but am somewhat perlpexed at the profiles. I'm wondering if anyone can answer my questions:

1. Under the chosen profile, you can choose "escalating" for volume. But as far as I can tell, it will only escalate the ringer volume 3 times, and then stop ringing. So, herein lies the problem. The default ringer for the phone on the 7100T is "BBClassicPhone". That sound file has the ringer sounding 6 times which lasts about 20 seconds. After that intial 20 seconds (if I set the "Number of Beeps") to more than 1, the sound will play over again, for another 20 seconds at a higher volume. This will happen until finally the third time comes around and it is the maximum volume. My problem is this: I don't want to wait 40 seconds if I'm out of the room to be able to hear my phone. I want it to ring maybe once or twice, and then escalate the ringer volume...so, for example, the volume is at max around 15-20 seconds, not 40 seconds!

My solution would be to modify that ringer to maybe 2 rings and save it in my blackberry as the new ringtone. This will work, but the problem then comes to "Number of Beeps". It will only play that ringtone 3 times, and then stop completely. Is there anyway to keep a ringtone playing indefinitely? I find the "Number of Beeps" option rather limiting, as well as the entire profiles configuration. Any ideas?

2. What is with that default beep the Blackberry has? Whenever I receive an email, my phone will vibrate and tone like it it set to, but I will not hear the tone I have set until the 3rd vibration. The first 2 get that stock BB tone (the same one you get if you move between ringtones in the profiles list). It seems as though that is the beep referred to in "Number of Beeps"...but that setting also seems to control how many times the ringtone will play. ??

Does anyone have any idea on these issues? I think the 7100t is a great piece of hardware...but when it came to configuring the profiles, I feel it is definitely lacking in intuitiveness and completeness. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-12-2005, 11:46 AM   #2
davelissa

Default I understand....I think!

1) I feel your pain....I have the same problem!

To excerbate the problem, my phone will go to voice mail after about 20 seconds (although that is adjustable in T-Mobile...so I never hear the escalating volume!

I'm experimenting, but my solution would be to somehow download the ringtone to the computer desktop, edit it to one or two rings, then upload it again. I want to try that sometime...right now, I have only uploaded midi files as ring tones, so I don't know whether .wav or .mp3 files work as ringtones. Right now, I've uploaded some mid files, but they're too soft, and I'm trying to increase their volumes.

2) I don't understand your question...my BB doesn't "tone" during the first two vibrations when in the holster.
Old 04-12-2005, 01:29 PM   #3
TRaymond
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I was hoping that tone and vibrate would be simultanious. The way it works now, I get one or the other...then after it completes...the other begins (IE: Vibrate first then tone. Never together.)

----------
TRaymond
Closed Thread