bperkins
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T
Default Verizon 7250 Review [NEW PHOTOS!] [MUCH FASTER THAN 7750!]

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Of Index Added By Mark Rejhon
Just received it activating it now. Pictures to follow.

Exact same size as Cingular 7290
Bluetooth
1X not EV-DO
Running 4.0.0.204

No damn browser! Called support, will not be available until they release BES 4.0....asked for time frame, should be sometime this month.

Update:

Pictures can be viewed here

On a good note there is no lag as there is with the 7750. It is as fast as my Cingular 7290.

Has the two stage backlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Edit by Mark Rejhon to add a photo

More photos are available at the link above, or further down this thread!

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 03-14-2005 at 10:12 PM..
Old 02-01-2005, 10:30 AM   #2
Accordian Man
Thumbs Must Hurt

That is so ridiculous. I was really looking forward to this thing and Verizon has to go and F--- it up. I was really hoping for ev-do but I'm not really surprised about that, but come on with this browser sh-t that they've been pulling.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:49 AM   #3
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Alltel

Mine just came in. As bperkins said, same size as 7290. Dual stage backlight, bluetooth, 1x (but I heard EV-DO will be an OTA option).

Under memory

File Free: 15029228
File Total:27394048

Biggest thing is that it is MUCH faster than the 7750. Huge improvement and everything else seems to be working as advertised.

Looks like we can stopo picking on Verizon for at least a little while regarding devices. :D
Old 02-01-2005, 11:54 AM   #4
ahughes

I was told by a RIM sales rep that an upgrade for EV-DO will be released in a few months. The unit already contains the hardware, it will just require new software.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:12 PM   #5
Accordian Man
Thumbs Must Hurt

If that's the case, that would be great. All things considered though, it takes Verizon forever to accomplish anything. In fact, there's been talk of a browser on the 7750 since the release of the device and it's only begun to rollout recently. Is there anyway (for people who have the 7250 in hand) to confirm the ev-do hardware (maybe something in the manual or specs)? I can't believe how crippled Verizon has made this device and further ruined their already horrible reputation. This coming from a Verizon customer for over five years.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:32 PM   #6
mikejb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

Okay, how much?
Old 02-01-2005, 12:56 PM   #7
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

I heard that the browser and 4.0 upgrade for the 7750 was also happening today or tomorrow, possibly to coincide with the release of the 7250.

Hard to tell by looking at it if EV-DO is "built in." If it is a software update, there really is nothing you can see on the hardware. I don't see any obscure things in the settings menu. What I do notice (for the moment) is a lack of TCP/IP information in the options list. I assume that once they roll out HTML browser that will show up? Who knows.

SO far, what I can say:

Pros:
-Much faster than 7750. It is at least as fast as the 7290 and 7520 those are the two most recent models that I have had experience with.
-Bluetooth - seems to work as advertised
-Metal bezel to hopefully avoid the black scuff marks
-More memory
-Has the enhanced keyboard with the bigger teardrop keys

Cons:
-THis may be a pro to some, but I like the 7750 form factor better. The 7250 is smaller, but a bit thicker. The screen is only 6 x 3 icons, instead of 6 x 5 icons. Not a big deal, but I really liked the bigger screen.
-I liked the cradle of the 7750 with the built in connector. YOu just dropped it in and you were off. The 7250 does not come with a cradle and you have to plug in the USB cable. Not a big deal, but I like a cradle with a connector.
-It seems that the ring and alert tone volumes are not quite as loud on the 7250 as they were on the 7750.

Everyone will always have complaints against a service priovider, but I still keep beating the drum with the same thing. For me, Service is most important. In my travels, Verizon is the only company that I have 99% of the time had service with. None of the others are close. Up until now, I have had to work with "inferior" equipment. As I had said many times before, you can have the fastest BB with the most memory, but if you have no service, it isn't much good. Well, now I am happy to say that I have what (In only my opinion) is the best service, and now I have hardware that lives up to it. Additionally, if the EV-DO thing comes to pass, the 7250 *could* be THE device. Verizon may be slow to market, but that is another minor inconvenience vis-a-vis their service. I'm as technology starved as anyone else, but let's face it the best, most advanced device in the world is useless without a network. Some may be willing to trade coverage for advanced technology. I'm more willing to trade technology for coverage. The good news is now I have both. Sorry to rant on like that, I just feel like I have to get that out every once in awhile (Like maybe in every post) :D
Old 02-01-2005, 01:04 PM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

According to the published 7250 spec sheet from Verizon:

Dual-band network
800/1900 MHz CDMA2000®1X and
cdmaOne™networks

No EV-DO out of the box.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:25 PM   #9
Accordian Man
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thank you so much ChristopherRI and NJBlackberry, you guys have been really informative. It's good to here about all of those perks that the 7250 does have to offer. So, let me just understand this, the current assumption is that the browser will be available over the air with the next couple of days? I hope you guys are right. That will pretty much seal the deal for me. Also, I need to call Verizon to verify that when you are using the data (browsing and e-mail) they don't charge you against your minutes. Please keep me updated about the browser. Congrats guys with your new purchase.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:14 PM   #10
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Good news!

Just about time there's a CDMA BlackBerry I'm comfortable about recommending to Bell Mobility users!

Some people think the 7750 DogBerry deserves to be shot.
(Okay, it works fine....but anybody buying a 7750 this February should be....um....Never mind. Just kidding.)
Old 02-01-2005, 03:16 PM   #11
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Also, remember, you only need to pay $10-$25 per month extra to a BES/MDS if you simply must have a browser right now today -- as well as full Internet capabilities such as Verichat MSN/ICQ/AIM/Yahoo.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-01-2005, 03:28 PM   #12
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Direct Photos from the TypePad links:

I have announced this thread on HowardForums RIM/Verizon/Bell Mobility as well as at RIMROAD.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-01-2005, 06:01 PM   #13
BB_WayCool

Hello...how much?
Old 02-01-2005, 10:27 PM   #14
bperkins
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Mark, thanks for the additions. I decided not to post the pics within the message b/c I did not want to soak up the site's bandwidth.

bbwaycool Sorry but I did not receive a packing slip with the 7250. And I billed it to my account maybe someone else can help you out. I would guess it would be $320 retail.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:43 AM   #15
bradberry

Model: Torch
Carrier: ATT
Default HHv4

Can you extract HHv4 from the device and post a link to it. JK of course. Makes no sense not to release HHv4 but still put it on the new devices. WHAT UP WITH THAT?????
Old 02-02-2005, 09:46 AM   #16
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

bbwaycool, I think full retail is $499, but of course depending on a lot of factors, you can get the phone for less than that.

This may be my imagination or just the fact that there is a fresh battery in the 7250, but it seems like battery life is improved. With the 7750, if I had a full charge when I left my office, the next morning it would be down to 4 bars. That would include a ferw minutes of web use, 2-3 short phonecalls, and moderate e-mail. Last week, I downloaded Verichat (Veri Cool!!!) and when I left that active, it sucked down the battery power even more so that Ceteris Paribus, with Verichat left on overnight, the next morning would yield me only 2-3 bars of battery strength.

I left my office last night with the 7250 fully charged. I left Verichat on all night, used it for awhile, made 3 phone calls, did some browsing and moderate e-mail. This morning I still had 5 battery bars.

As I say, this may be just coincidental because it is new, fresh battery. Perhaps it has something to do with the new CDMA chipset?

Brad - you notice increased battery life at all?

Christopher
Old 02-02-2005, 10:40 AM   #17
Accordian Man
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hey guys, I know there's another thread about this but it seems people stopped posting on it. Is there any news about the browser or the related 4.0 update? Also, does anyone know, if you do pay for a browser separately, does Verizon count the usage minutes against you? I know before, even with the unlimited data plans, if you were connected, it would count against your minutes and charge you for airtime.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:12 AM   #18
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Accordian Man

I'm not sure when the browser and 4.0 will be released. However, if you have a data plan, you do not get charged against your minutes. They used to have a plan called America's CHoice MOU. THis was for dataphones like the i600, i700, and Kyo 7135. MOU menat minutes of usage. This was for those phones where you might be an occasional data user and you didn't want to pay $44 per month for unlimited data. Theroretically the AC-MOU was a "Data Plan." However, if you actually have the "unlimited Data Plan" or "unlimited BlackBerry Plan," then you get unlimited data and it does NOT come out of your minutes.

That being said, I don't know what will happen when thie 7250 becomes EV-DO compatible. I don't know if they are going to raise rates on the data plans if you want EV-DO capability. I guess that remains to be seen.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:19 AM   #19
Accordian Man
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks ChristopherRI. I promise I'll stop will these silly questions soon. I just did a search about Verichat and couldn't find what I was looking for. Does Verichat use text messages (SMS) or is it some sort of data feature? I'm not sure how many text messages I'll use up with AIM if it's through SMS.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:26 AM   #20
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Verichat uses data. It is basically an Instant Message client that you can use with AIM, MSN Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, and ICQ. It is really neat, but it does use a lot of data and it does take some battery power as well. It does not use SMS which is good becuase the chat window is in real time, or very near real time.

Mark Rejohn had a lot of input with the latest version and he has some very informative threads on Verichat.
Closed Thread