Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 06:38 PM   #1
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on
Default Obamacare rant

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone else been through this crap?!

I started our application on March 12. TODAY, ten days after the "deadline," we were finally able to submit the application. We submitted no less than five applications because in each of the first four, the data became corrupted. No surprise there... the web site kicked us off repeatedly. We played phone tag with several tech support people who finally insisted that the solution to each error we encountered was to start all over again. And the questions! No, my 3-year-old is not paying or receiving alimony. Neither is he married, receiving employment income or currently incarcerated.

That whole web site should be taken out and shot. Seriously.

GAH!!!

Somebody pass me the bourbon.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Obamacare rant

Medicinal bourbon is a good Rx. Really glad I don't have to deal with that mess.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

"Last thing I remember, I was
"Running for the door
"I had to find the passage back
"To the place I was before
"'Relax,' said the night man,
"'We are programmed to receive.
"You can check-out any time you like,
"But you can never leave!'"
Old 04-13-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
ZombieBerry

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

Why didn't you just register one of the other three ways? Person, Phone, or paper application?
Old 04-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

My insurance company informed me a while back that my policy would terminate and they "hoped" to have some ACA-compliant plans into which I could transition. They finally made my current plan ACA-compliant so I can just keep it. I tried several times to start an application on the ACA web site and finally gave up. What a total pooch-screw.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
kathrynhr

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieBerry View Post
Why didn't you just register one of the other three ways? Person, Phone, or paper application?
I assure you, I was on the phone with them repeatedly.

Apparently, apart from all the glitches, blended families just aren't being handled well. Their entire system hooks into the IRS, and it assumes that you're insuring the kids you claim on your taxes. And only those kids. In fact, their definition of a family seems to be "the people you list on your 1040."

The problem is that frequently following a divorce, parents claim the kids on taxes during alternating years (e.g. mom gets the tax break during even years, dad during odd years). My husband and I are both in that scenario. And we are required to insure my kids but not his. So we are insuring some kids that we are not claiming on taxes, and not insuring other kids that we are claiming.

The fact that neither the web site nor the representatives were prepared to handle this situation caused chaos. The web site basically refused to process my application in places because it looked like I was selectively refusing to insure our children. And it sounded like the "who's on first" skit when I tried to do it over the phone. Not the fault of the representatives, to be sure, but over and over again, I had to explain the situation and some folks didn't get it. One very helpful rep tried to get our exes' tax information into the system as well, hoping that inputting who WAS claiming the kids would get us over the application hump. But when he put it in, the software tried to add our exes in as our dependents too (!!!), and we couldn't just delete them out again. It corrupted the whole application. And yet again, we started over.

Then when the site (or the call center's software) would have a glitch, they'd punt. "Sorry, we'll call you back." But a different person would call me back, or course, and then we'd start the whole conversation again. And as I indicated above, whenever we'd hit a wall with this, they'd tell me to start the whole application process over.

No, after experiencing the lack of knowledge about blended families that I encountered over the phone, I would not have tried to do this on paper. No one there seems to be able to handle out-of-the-box family situations. I have no doubt that we would still be without insurance if I had gone that route.

Last edited by kathrynhr; 04-14-2014 at 11:18 AM..
Closed Thread