BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:11 AM   #1
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Default FAQ: How do I tether over Bluetooth with Desktop Manager 5.0.1 B49 or higher?

Please Login to Remove!

Preface:
If you are utilizing the newest BlackBerry Desktop Manager, and you are using a service provider that does not require a separate plan add-on to tether your BlackBerry for computer Internet access, you may have noticed that a new option called "IP Modem" is present on the main menu. This feature eliminates the need for you to go through all of the hoops that used to be required to tether a BlackBerry. Simply click the button, set your initial options, and connect. Unfortunately, when you connect your BlackBerry to the computer over Bluetooth, this option is grayed out. Although it appears to be disabled, it is still possible to connect to the Internet, and the following guide will assist you in making that connection.

DISCLAIMER:
YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER MAY CHARGE YOU ADDITIONAL FOR TETHERING! PLEASE CHECK WITH YOUR PROVIDER BEFORE TETHERING AS PER-KILOBYTE CHARGES CAN BE QUITE HIGH, AND THE KILOBYTES CAN ADD UP QUICK WHEN TETHERING, ESPECIALLY ON 3G NETWORKS!

Test Equipment:
  • Dell Latitude D630 with built-in Dell 355W Bluetooth module
  • RIM BlackBerry Bold 9700

Service Provider:
  • T-Mobile USA with a 39.01a version SIM card
    - This version of SIM card is HSPA-capable

Procedure:
  1. Connect your BlackBerry to your computer via USB
  2. Ensure that the IP Modem option is available
    a. If it is, continue reading
  3. Click IP Modem
  4. Go through initial setup steps
  5. Disconnect from USB
  6. Close Desktop Manager
  7. Go through the normal Bluetooth pairing process to pair the BlackBerry device to the computer
  8. Open Desktop Manager
  9. Click Options > Connection Options
  10. Ensure that “Turn on Bluetooth support” is checked
  11. Go to the drop-down menu above and select your Bluetooth-connected BlackBerry
  12. Click OK
  13. At this point, the main menu should show your device as connected, and the IP Modem option should be grayed out
  14. Open the Windows Control Panel and open Phone and Modem
  15. Click the Modems tab
  16. Select the Standard Modem on COM3
    a. Your COM port may be different
  17. Click Properties
  18. Click the Advanced tab, and select all of the text in the “Extra initialization commands:” field
  19. Press CTRL+C to copy this text
  20. Click Cancel
  21. Select the Standard Modem over Bluetooth link
  22. Click Properties
  23. Click the Advanced tab
  24. In the “Extra initialization commands:” field, press CTRL+V to paste the text that was previously copied
  25. Click OK
  26. Click OK
  27. Click the network connection icon in the tray of the Start bar
  28. Right-click the dial-up connection listed at the top
    a. This will usually be named for the network provider you selected during the IP Modem setup process (i.e., “T-Mobile US”)
  29. Select Properties
  30. Check the box next to Modem - Standard Modem over Bluetooth link
  31. Click OK
  32. Click the network connection icon in the tray of the Start bar
  33. Click the dial-up connection at the top
  34. Click Connect
    a. Depending on your chosen provider, you may be prompted to enter a username and password to complete the connection

This guide is written by dc/dc (Dan Carlson) for exclusive publication on www.blackberryforums.com, unless written authorization has been provided by the author or www.blackberryforums.com.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
BillyBobby
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint

Thanks for the excellent guide. I have tried the steps over and over and I cannot get mine to work. I have no problem with Desktop Mgr or Smart View when I use my USB cable, but would like to tether with Bluetooth. BTW - I have a 9630 Tour and use Sprint. I can pair my Tour's BT with my BT ear piece and I can pair my 9630 to my laptop using Control Panel. However, I cannot pair the 9630 using DM. Any idea what is wrong? BTW, I left a message in the 9600 area and was directed here.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobby View Post
Thanks for the excellent guide. I have tried the steps over and over and I cannot get mine to work. I have no problem with Desktop Mgr or Smart View when I use my USB cable, but would like to tether with Bluetooth. BTW - I have a 9630 Tour and use Sprint. I can pair my Tour's BT with my BT ear piece and I can pair my 9630 to my laptop using Control Panel. However, I cannot pair the 9630 using DM. Any idea what is wrong? BTW, I left a message in the 9600 area and was directed here.
There are two things that are likely preventing you from doing this. One is that Sprint requires you to pay extra to be able to tether, and the other is if your device is attached to a BES (corporate server). Many BES administrators limit what you can do with Bluetooth. For example, my previous employer limited our devices to only be able to pair with audio devices (headsets, navigation systems, etc.).

Hope this helps clarify...
Old 12-23-2009, 07:30 PM   #4
BillyBobby
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint

It is on a BES corporate account and I was told we were allowed to use the Bluetooth, however, it may not be configured correctly. I will have to wait until I get back next year to find out.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBobby View Post
It is on a BES corporate account and I was told we were allowed to use the Bluetooth, however, it may not be configured correctly. I will have to wait until I get back next year to find out.
Then the second scenario is likely a factor. You will want to ensure in your device's Bluetooth Options that all items under Serial Port Profile are enabled under Services. If not, your BES has blocked them. If they are enabled, you may be using the incorrect Bluetooth stack on your computer. What type of computer and adapter are you using and with what OS?