Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 05:31 AM   #1
Zandranna

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Virgin
Default Swapping Service Provider

Please Login to Remove!

Before I start please forgive me if I use the wrong terms. I"m not very knowledgeable about what is what yet.

I bought an Orange pay as you go B/Curve. Due to appalling Orange reception in my area I had my Grandson sort out getting the Blackberry opened so that I could use my Virgin pay as you go sim.

I have managed to set up the Blackberry for the change over ok until I got to the gprs? and roaming part of it.

I can make calls, send texts, and use my wifi on it, but the moment it comes to getting on the web without Wi-Fi it tells me "The network is currently unavailable, however an old version of the page is available" or it will tell me "This is a Wi-Fi service. Please ensure your device has an active Wi-Fi connection"

I went into ...

Manage Connections
Mobile Network Options
Menu
My Preferred Network List

From here on in I don't know what to do......

If I try to add Virgin it tells me the list is full and I don't know which one/s it is ok to delete to make room for Virgin.

I don't even know which services Virgin would be linked to for roaming. And I don't even know if I am on the right track even.

All I want is to be able to use Virgin to allow me to use a gprs?? connection, (using the web while out and about)

I would appreciate any help.

Last edited by Zandranna; 04-27-2011 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: To add more relevant information
Old 04-27-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
Zandranna

Default Re: Swapping Service Provider

Ummmm, sorry, not sure if I should have used the term 3G instead of gprs.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

Do you have a BlackBerry specific data plan?
Old 04-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Zandranna

No I don't use any Blackberry plans.

In the past and with my old Motorola phone I have just used this Virgin pay as you go sim to receive a 3G or gprs service, not sure which it would be.

Virgin do a pay as you go £10 or £15 top up a month for so many mg a month.

I assumed just popping it in the Blackberry it would be the same.

I haven't got around to figuring out things I can use within the Blackberry itself. Those were going to be question I asked at a later date.

I thought I would ask one question at a time.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Nope, you need a blackberry specific data plan to get data [gprs or 3G] on a blackberry.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 04-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #6
Zandranna

Could you please explain exactly what that is. Please remember I am a complete novice with these phones.

I only know that I don't have a Blackberry plan because I asked my Son-in-law, not because I knew or know what that is.

Are you saying I have to pay Virgin and Blackberry.

Last edited by Zandranna; 04-27-2011 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: Spelling mistake
Old 04-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

You have to pay virgin extra for a blackberry data plan. You would call them up and ask about Blackberry Internet Service, they would advise you how much extra a month it is.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 04-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #8
Zandranna

Ah ha, got it!! Thank you muchly.

Love your Sheriff of Nottingham quote.

Last edited by Zandranna; 04-27-2011 at 04:12 PM..
Old 05-05-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
zebAdee

Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Apologies for HiJacking this thread but I have a similar, if laughable situation.
My wife accidentally put my Virgin Mobile 8520 Blackberry through the washing machine AND tumble dryer recently.
I had a sim-free replacement supplied, swapped over the Virgin SIM and the Blackberry services switched over - no problem. 'phone working fine.
Subsequently, I have throughly dried, dismantled, cleaned and reassembled the originally fated BB, and it is working. Now, I despise throwing anything away, so I purchased an unlock code from "cell-unlock" dot com. Duly entered the code and had it accepted by the 'phone, however the Blackberry will not give me any service when various SIMs are inserted. It variously shows GSM in the top right corner, changing to an "X" occassionally and maybe "SOS" Also "Searching For Network" sometimes appears, but any call attempt results in a delay and then "Call Failed" Also if the number associated with the inserted SIM is called it is reported as "Not Available" Today I received a free T-Mobile Blackberry SIM, but this does just the same!
Can anyone shed any light on what may be the problem?

TIA
Martin

PS: Sorry for the diatribe.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #10
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

I would say the device is not working. It may turn on, but its obvious that its unusable.
The antenna is failing to pick up a signal, perhaps even the sim card reader is having trouble reading the sim correctly.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Either it's broken internally as far as network reception goes, or it's not really unlocked.

How do I determine if my BlackBerry is "unlocked"? - BlackBerryFAQ

Far too many of these bargain-basement unlocking services just scam you with a bogus code.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #12
zebAdee

Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Thanks for your input MidnightDraven & rambo47.

MidnightDraven: Here is the thing, the 'phone is picking up a signal OK. I say this because today I have taken it to a local T-Mobile store and they had my SIM / Blackberry working fine. We could make and receive calls OK after we topped it up. However, now (later) having left the store, it is not working again. I cannot see that it is not receiving a signal as it worked earlier. Signal here where I am is fine, we have another (old) nokia on T-Mobile and that works fine. Also it is reading the SIM OK, I can interrogate the SIM and see all the info.
rambo47 I entirely take your point, however, if the Blackberry accepted the unlock code would that not indicate success? Also checking as you suggest in your link, all items show "disabled" Another indication that it is unlocked, no?

Martin
Old 05-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #13
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

If everything is reported as "disabled" then it's unlocked. Sounds to me like it's just busted. Intermittent failures are common after a good dunking and spin cycle.
Closed Thread