Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany
Angry Why Enterprise location tracking might not work reliable:

Please Login to Remove!

I just finished a case with RIM where I tried to find out, why my operator (t-mobile Germany) denies to give me the option to use cell tower triangulation with blackberry maps.

The short Answer: If they dont, RIM cannot force them, they might do this because of caring for the privacy of the users.

But RIM support also told me, that Enterprise location tracking will use cell tower triangulation if no GPS is availible, and if there is no GPS for a longer time, I might have to accept that a restart of the handheld is the only way to again make it work.

It is new to me that Enterprise location tracking does not rely solely on GPS information.

I dont understand why t-mobile thinks I love it not beeing able to decide for myself and for my users if or if not cell tower triangulation is allowed, and also I do not understand why RIM is unable to make a reliable location tracking if the GPS signal fails for a longer period.

But, if someone else besides me uses this feature, he should know, that not all providers "support" this feature, and if it is not supported, Enterprise location tracking will work only, if you restart the Handheld every day.

Last edited by nobody7290; 07-20-2012 at 12:09 PM..
Old 07-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
noname
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel
Default Re: Why Enterprise location tracking might not work reliable:

Anything is possible technically, it's always the regulations that are at play.