Old 03-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
zeeple
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Upgrading the BB on a Mac?

Please Login to Remove!

I am a mac/linux user who has a 8830 BB. I'd like to upgrade to OS 4.5 but I am not sure what my options are. Can I upgrade my BB as a non-Windows user?
Old 03-13-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
Heavy Fluid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask please
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

If you can boot up Parallels or something that allows you to install Windows on your Mac. If you can't, you need to find a friend or family member that will let you use theirs.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
zeeple

Model: 8830

Installing windows on a Mac just to upgrade my phone is SO out of the question. As far as I am concerned, if Windows is ABSOLUTELY required to upgrade the BB's, then BB's are Windows-Only devices. Which means that Mac users like me are actively encouraged by RIM to buy an iPhone or something else we can fully interact with.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Heavy Fluid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask please
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Not necessarily. I just use my wifes laptop to do it, and still use my Mac.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
aburamu

Model: 9000
Carrier: Telcel

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeple View Post
Installing windows on a Mac just to upgrade my phone is SO out of the question. As far as I am concerned, if Windows is ABSOLUTELY required to upgrade the BB's, then BB's are Windows-Only devices. Which means that Mac users like me are actively encouraged by RIM to buy an iPhone or something else we can fully interact with.
I know! I also felt that way when I found out about this. But as soon as I realized all the features Iphone lacks I got rid of the whole idea.

Upgrading is the only thing you need a windows pc for. I just use another an old pc for it. (I've just upgraded twice in 5 yrs of blackberrying)
Old 03-16-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
Erjavec

Model: Torch
Carrier: QTEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeple View Post
Well, you're kinda right, but what do you do... For now, I use VMware Fusion Windows XP partition that I have to upgrade my BOLD, and apparently full MAC desktop manager is on the way... Some patience ... on the other hand BB and MAC are a great combo even now, using Missing Sync... I just retired my iPod as there's no need to carry it around anymore. I fill 16GB memory cards on my BB BOLD easily and elegantly with playlists and videos from my iTunes
Old 03-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #7
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Boot Camp - works
VMware - works
Parallels - fail

Something about lack of hardware acceleration of something like that prevents using Parallels to run the Blackberry Desktop Software in Windows.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
426-Hemi

Model: 8330

I updated my BB curve 8330 using Windows 7 beta running in boot camp on my son's MacBook. Worked fine.

Before I tried boot camp, I tried updating it on windows 7 beta running in Sun's VirtualBox on my MacBook Pro. No luck. I could only back up and restore my BB with the DM but ran into problems when it came to updating the software.

I would try bootcamp with the windows 7 beta. You should be able to snag a copy of it from the web.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I keep an old IBM ThinkPad around the house for just this kind of thing. Any and all phone updating is handled by the old X31 running WinXP. I sync to my Mac but update with the pc.

Blackberry Cool has a good article summing up the solutions for using a Blackberry with your Mac: Mac and BlackBerry solutions guide | BlackBerry Cool
Closed Thread