Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
BigJoe90

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK
Default Orange (UK) – 8320 with BIS over Wi-Fi

Please Login to Remove!

Has anybody in the UK got Orange BIS email working over Wi-Fi ?

Orange support say that it is not supported but this seems like non-sense and just an excuse to make me use up my data allowance.

My Wi-Fi connection works fine for browsing but all emails are still sent and received over GPRS or EDGE.

When I go to “Manage Connections” the Wi-Fi connection is Yellow (I believe it should be Green), the Wi-Fi diagnostics have nothing listed for BlackBerry Infrastructure and on the front screen my Wi-Fi logo always remains greyed out.

Are Orange correct or am I just not talking to the right people at Orange ?

Any help gratefully appreciated as this is now driving my nuts.

BigJoe
Old 01-16-2008, 04:18 AM   #2
Tailor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2 UK

Hi BigJoe,

You are correct in your understanding of how it should work and you have described what happens when you have a connection to the WiFi but not to Blackberry over WiFi.
I raised this issue with O2 and after a month of pushing I am now getting it resolved with RIM, the situation last night was that it may even be a problem their end.
I am surprised that it doesn't work for you on Orange as i have some friends on Orange with 8120's and it does work for them. If you use the WiFi browser does that access the internet ok?
It may still be connected to the issue that O2 users have so it might be worth you watching the O2 thread to see how that gets resolved.
The carriers customer service teams aren't really geared up to support this so until we know what we are talking about you probably won't get far with them!

Last edited by Tailor; 01-16-2008 at 04:19 AM.. Reason: Typo's
Old 01-16-2008, 08:16 AM   #3
BigJoe90

Thanks.

Yes Wi-Fi works fine for browsing.

I've seen the O2 thread so I will keep an eye on it to see what the outcome is before getting on to Orange again.

BigJoe
Old 01-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
Tailor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Just to keep the thread correct, the Orange user although using BIS also has BES provisioned on his SIM and so it would appear that Orange and possibly anybody using the eu blackberry servers is going to have this issue for the time being if they are a BIS only user.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:24 PM   #5
Worm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: All
Carrier: Plead the fifth.

There should be no issue with getting AP to green, that's just down to you (set up as data only). If I then registered with my AP with the HRT entry shown for my AP I can send mail, this then sends faster if I set my TLS connection to Handheld within Security (connection done to rcp.eu.blackberry.com 193.109.81.88:443 so reasoned TLS settings may be involved). I have not yet received mail ;)

cheers

Worm
Old 01-21-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
Worm
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm now sending/receiving mail without issue via rcp.eu.blackberry.com:443, I have disconnected the GSM radio end to verify. I'll look into what may cause issues a bit more but I'm fairly sure the GSM carrier doesn't have a lot to do with it.

cheers

Worm
Old 01-21-2008, 08:17 AM   #7
BigJoe90

Hi Worm,

So does you WiFi icon on the main screen now become black&white instead of being greyed out?
And does the WiFi symbol in manage connections become green?

BigJoe
Old 01-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
Worm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes, I have green ticks for the bottom three boxes in WiFi diagnostics. The AP was configured only as a GAN rather than UMA. Looking into it further GSM carrier is irrelevant, only constraint is being able to set up a TLS connection to rcp.eu.blackberry.com on port 443 via your ISP.

Using "putty" I successfully SSH'd to the server on port 443 via another computer connected to the AP. If you can do this then I think you need to look at the device. It would not be normal for an ISP to block TLS/SSH for this port though.

cheers

Worm
Old 01-21-2008, 08:48 AM   #9
Tailor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Worm,
There's a lot of people having this issue, if you are in Europe and do not have BES provisoned on your SIM then you are the first person to come on to these forums with a working WiFi handset as opposed to at least a dozen that can't connect.
Your blase attitude of "it works" is going to really confuse a lot of people.
Please read the O2 WiFi thread and if you can offer any help then I'm sure lots of people will be very interested.

Sorry to be blunt but you really need to read the other thread referenced here before you go pointing people back to their handsets

Tailor
Old 01-21-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
Worm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Not entirely good news I'm afraid. I PM'd Tailor earlier just stating where I was at. I have now full wiped and reinstalled OS/apps version 4.2.2.171, I did not restore backup and after setting up the Access Point I immediately connected to the relay :( So in short, an entirely standard install with only the AP configured will work.

I am using a dlink ethernet in & out router connected to a cable modem.

I'm going to go about restoring my certificates and keys to see if that breaks it.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:31 AM   #11
hegedusa
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800

I habe an 8320 on Orange and I get emails coming in using BIS (and now BES too) using WIFI. It works on every router I have tried it on (Dlink, Draytek, Netgear, Linksys, BT Home Hub) and every ISP I have tried it on (Orange, UK ONline, TalkTalk, BT, Orange France, Tiscali, Demon, Pipex, Virgin Cable).

WHen I got my 8320, Orange supplied a new SIM card so maybe if yours isn't working you need to contact Orange.

It works in such a way that I can receive emails whilst on the phone, and receive emails where there is no Orange GSM signal.

Incidentally, UMA works too, but only when connected to Orange Broadband in the UK.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:59 AM   #12
BigJoe90

If you have BES provisioned on your simm then Wi-Fi works for BIS but if you only have BIS Wi-Fi does not work for email as far as I know.

Orange say they don't support it, when I've talked to them.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:32 AM   #13
aloening

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone

Hi - BB Newbie needs some help. I got nice new 8820 from Orange because it is said to work over teh WiFi. With a lot of conversations with Orange tech desk I got the BB to connect to the WiFi, I get uma in lower case (once it was in upper case!) but I get no e-mails from BIS. I can SSH the BB server on port 443 so the WiFi is working.

If I re-connect to the mobile network EDGE then all the e-mails come through - so that is working.

Worm - your mention lots of things like TLS and various web sites. There are lots of settings which I do not understand on the BB.

Could some clever person who has e-mail working on the EU server pleas publish a list of ALL settings on their BB. Or at least the ones that seem to make it work.

My BB is so nearly working - I am sure there is just one setting wrong somewhere - please help me find it.

Ta.
Closed Thread