Old 04-28-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
PDJack

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default Connecting to other mobiles via bluetooth

Please Login to Remove!

OK, total newbie, so apologies if answer very basic...but:

Can't seem to connect to any other mobile to transfer files via bluetooth. Bluetooth is enabled, device can be paired using 0000 as the passkey, but nothing happens when they try and send me a file.

Any ideas, and is this unique to Blackberry? Never had this issue with any other phones, which don't seem to require pairing at all and just ask if you want to accept the incoming file

Thanks
Old 04-28-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

You can't transfer addresses this way but you can do pics and ringtones. On your BB go to the media app. Then go to the ringtone or picture directory as desired. Click the menu button and select "Receive via Bluetooth." Then on the other phone send the file.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
laurentio
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700b
PIN: Feel free to ask.
Carrier: O2-UK

it doesn't really always work that way.
had myself major problems pairing with other devices and receiving files or sending them files from my bberry.
seems to be a problem or the default settings are not right.(too high)
linkedin.com/in/laurentio
Old 04-28-2007, 06:15 PM   #4
Worm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: All
Carrier: Plead the fifth.

Afaik RIM do not currently support the transfer of files via BT to any other type of handset, should be good BB to BB but is not supported to any other.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8100/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I have transferrd ringtones and pics to and from my Pearl and a Sony Ericcson w300i. It works fine if you follow the instructions above.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
Worm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: All
Carrier: Plead the fifth.

It does fail with a lot though John, the BT scene is a bloody mess at the moment tbh, between all phones. It can come down to single operator versions or entire firmware version. The crux is though that file transfer with other handset types via BT is not supported by RIM, it may work, it may not work.

I can see RIM's point of view, why give users false expectations of actual, complete compatibility when no-one else actually offers this. The other point is that they may not wish to loosen their security model, and this may be what it takes to get greater compatibility.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:17 PM   #7
laurentio

Model: 9700b
PIN: Feel free to ask.
Carrier: O2-UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
It does fail with a lot though John, the BT scene is a bloody mess at the moment tbh, between all phones. It can come down to single operator versions or entire firmware version. The crux is though that file transfer with other handset types via BT is not supported by RIM, it may work, it may not work.

I can see RIM's point of view, why give users false expectations of actual, complete compatibility when no-one else actually offers this. The other point is that they may not wish to loosen their security model, and this may be what it takes to get greater compatibility.
ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!
linkedin.com/in/laurentio
Old 04-29-2007, 01:27 AM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

You may be right but so far I've had good luck transferring ringtones and pictures via bluetooth to and from other phones and other Pearls.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:34 AM   #9
DJFANTASIA

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I've been able to transfer ringtones and flick's btw my pearl and wifes razer and sons samsung 629
Old 04-29-2007, 04:50 AM   #10
Willie115

Carrier: mEowmIx

o.O I've been transfering songs between so many different people and never have had a problem.... no problems every with SE, Motorola's, Nokia's, LG's.... I do admit that the BlackBerry has different BlueTooth transfering then many other devices but as long as you read instructions and don't give up thinking "Oh I can't send songs because my device is too sophisticated for other firmwares" and try other directions there's a way =D
Old 04-29-2007, 05:27 AM   #11
PDJack

Carrier: Vodafone UK
Default Thanks, but...

Thanks for all the replies - I've tried the suggestions above and can now get as far as actually being ready to receive a file (yippee!).

However, when I try and actually receive it, I either get a message saying the file name is in the wrong format (if I don't amend it from the default) or the bluetooth connection drops if I rename it (e.g. putting .mid at the end of the file for a midi file transfer)

Any suggestions?
Old 04-29-2007, 06:34 PM   #12
cmhaws

Carrier: T-mobile

Is it just me or is the pearls bluetooth VERY weak?
Closed Thread