BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
AllanRosen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Default I suppose it's not possible to use unused "device memory" as "application memory"?

Please Login to Remove!

Like many others, I have a huge amount of unused "device memory" but a critical shortage of "application memory". I suppose there is no way of lending the unused "device memory" to the "application memory"? Seems like really bad planning by RIMM.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

No, it's not possible, and it was not bad planning on RIM's part.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
AllanRosen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
No, it's not possible, and it was not bad planning on RIM's part.
Please educate me. I have a huge amount of on-board device memory I don't need and don't use, but I'm completely out of application memory. I only have half a dozen apps installed, but I can't install any more because I leak almost all remaining application memory within 12 hours after a battery pull. RIM just launched a new app store that I can't use because I'm out of application memory, even though I own the most expensive, latest and greatest Blackberry. Why do you say that's not bad planning on RIM's part?
Old 04-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Have you followed the memory optimization thread stickied at the top of the general forum? If not, it may help clear up some of the memory issues you describe.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
sabrewulf
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000

in for answers...
Old 04-10-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
sabrewulf

I'm a little confused myself.. Why so much device memory considering you can throw in a microSD card to whatever you may need, but only ~ 40MB of application memory? That's how much I have and I just got the phone today.

Oh and that guide to free up some memory is a little ridiculous. Besides, how much could you really get out of all that tweeking. How does RIM expect its App Store to be as successful as iTunes when you are extremely limited to how many apps you can install?

Last edited by sabrewulf; 04-10-2009 at 11:54 PM..
Old 04-11-2009, 01:36 AM   #7
scaevola
BlackBerryFAQ.com Moderator

Model: 9900
PIN: ask Nicely.
Carrier: AT&T/tmobile

ummm. Yeah so here's how it is. The bold has appromixately 125 megs of "application memory" the os takes around 60 megs (it really depends on the OS build here...new builds generally more memory efficient). Then you have your applications.

In all honesty my bold has never had more than about 35~40 megs on boot. Currently it loads with around ~24 and drops to 17-14 after an hours of use and hangs around there for a while.

The phone thing of it all sabrewulf is that the 1 gig of ram "onboard" on the bold 9000 is in a single "chip." So it appears the limitation is all on RIM (and god knows I don't know why (see signature)! But originally the bold was suppose to have a gig of onboard application memory......(Was beyond estatic @ that news)

But what we get is what we get.

I would HIGH HIGHLY recommend upgrading Sabre I would recommend .234 far better in every way (assuming you have decent 3g coverage). .190 is better than .167 as well but less responsive with regards to GPS localizing and the antenna I think was worst at seeing 3G where I am at.

Rim does not allow applications to be run from onboard memory or media cards (for "security" reasons[the official word]). I only know of 3 exceptions to the rule.

Youmail allows you to store vmail on your media card, slacker caches stations on your media card, and a 3rd Medicinal based app...I think its a DR/Pharmacy desk reference app stores information on a media card.

And you bring up very good points about the app store. I love apps, but now my phone takes an average of 5 minutes to reboot itself ...which I am forced to do 3-5 times per day due to slowness.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:01 AM   #8
AllanRosen
Thumbs Must Hurt

It's like building a 10-room house and then permamently locking the doors to 9 of the rooms. I am running beta 247, I have used CrackMem to delete a lot of the unwanted waste, but I still leak most available application memory within 12 hours. I'm aggravated because. I essentially can't use the new app store due to application memory limitations.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Sure you can, if you manage your memory properly. I probably have 25-30 third party apps loaded on my Bold, no issues.

The Device Memory is locked down for security reasons.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
sabrewulf

Well then.. It appears AllanRosen's original remark is true -- bad planning on RIM.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #11
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Actually, I don't know that it is 'bad' planning, but still a holdover from the older devices which had no Media Card or extended memory for media.

The later devices (8900) do have a larger app memory space. If I recall correctly, the device memory can be wiped by remote for BES users in case of a lost or stolen device. I suspect this device memory space remaining a certain size could have something to do with that.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
kenv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Actually, I don't know that it is 'bad' planning, but still a holdover from the older devices which had no Media Card or extended memory for media.

The later devices (8900) do have a larger app memory space. If I recall correctly, the device memory can be wiped by remote for BES users in case of a lost or stolen device. I suspect this device memory space remaining a certain size could have something to do with that.
Maybe I'm missing something, or probably everything, here, but isn't the "device memory" essentially on the device "hard drive" whereas the application memory is really RAM? On an computer, other than having a HD cache, you can't use the hard drive as RAM. If this is the case, it is simply a matter of the amount of RAM memory the BB has that limits the number of apps than can be running at the same time. The device memory can store the apps themselves up to a GB, but can run only 40 mb or so in active RAM.

The problem, as I see it, is that many of the BB programs run in RAM all the time, whether you want them to or not, in contrast to a PC, in which you can control most of what's running in RAM.

Again, this post is meant to clarify or else get someone else to clarify the situation.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #13
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, or probably everything, here, but isn't the "device memory" essentially on the device "hard drive" whereas the application memory is really RAM? On an computer, other than having a HD cache, you can't use the hard drive as RAM. If this is the case, it is simply a matter of the amount of RAM memory the BB has that limits the number of apps than can be running at the same time. The device memory can store the apps themselves up to a GB, but can run only 40 mb or so in active RAM.

The problem, as I see it, is that many of the BB programs run in RAM all the time, whether you want them to or not, in contrast to a PC, in which you can control most of what's running in RAM.

Again, this post is meant to clarify or else get someone else to clarify the situation.

yes, this is basically what it is....

that being said, i also have between 20-30ish 3rd party apps, and i have almost 45-50MB of memory all the time for my apps.

that combined with my 859.2MB of on-board and my 7.6GB on my memory card make my device pretty powerful. add quicklaunch to that, and i got the fastest smokin' gun in the west. well, in illinois anyways
Old 04-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
kenv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankarlinski View Post
yes, this is basically what it is....

that being said, i also have between 20-30ish 3rd party apps, and i have almost 45-50MB of memory all the time for my apps.

that combined with my 859.2MB of on-board and my 7.6GB on my memory card make my device pretty powerful. add quicklaunch to that, and i got the fastest smokin' gun in the west. well, in illinois anyways
I'm in Illinois, too, and want to compete with you for the fastest smoking gun. How do you manage 45-50mb of memory with all those apps? Not just by using CrackMem, i don't suppose.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #15
element526
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A

I have about 40 applications loaded onto the phone between the app memory and the SD card. I usually am running 40-45mb free in the application memory. There are third party applications that allow you to load app's to the SD card and save them. When you want to use them you load them into the BB application memory. When not using them you can send them back to the SD card.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:36 PM   #16
kenv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by element526 View Post
I have about 40 applications loaded onto the phone between the app memory and the SD card. I usually am running 40-45mb free in the application memory. There are third party applications that allow you to load app's to the SD card and save them. When you want to use them you load them into the BB application memory. When not using them you can send them back to the SD card.
Yes, many of my apps have the media card option, but some don't, or at least I can't find it. I usually end up with about 20mb free, although on occasion it has gone down to 9mb and the BB has slowed to a near halt, and I have had to reboot.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #17
element526

With the program I use there is an option to load all downloadable programs to the media card.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:27 PM   #18
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (My Bold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by element526
With the program I use there is an option to load all downloadable programs to the media card.
Which app is this?
Old 04-11-2009, 06:11 PM   #19
roberthabib

Quote:
Originally Posted by element526 View Post
Yes....please.....which program is this you mention?
Old 04-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #20
element526

I use Aerize Card Loader. It has a learning curve. I woulkd recommend that anyone using it should read the manual. The instructions that come with the download suck. The most important thing to do with this application is to load apps to the card. This will require apps to be redownloaded. When downloading wait 5-10 seconds and a box will pop up above permissions saying "download to SD card" just check that and it will load to the card and phone memory. When you finish with a app just go to the card loader and unload it from phone memory and it will store back on the card. Sorry for the longwinded explanation but I got flamed elsewhere by someone who did not understand this program.
Closed Thread