BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
MsJosay
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question What's a good amount of memory?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone. I just got my blackberry a couple of weeks ago and followed the advice of someone who said to keep your blackberry the way it is for the first week to get used to it, then start tweaking it to your liking. Well I'm tweaking away, got a few programs on it (Yahoo!Go, InfoSpace FindIt!, Viigo, ColorPearl) but now after reading a few posts regarding memory I'm a little worried about my programs taking up too much memory.

So here's my question: About how much memory should one have on their blackberry in order to get maximum functionality? I know with computers the more programs you have on them the more memory is taken up thus the slower your computer becomes, is that the same with Blackberries?

I currently have about 14.4 mbs on it with all of the programs that I have. I read about some people complaining they had less than 14mbs on their device, I'm just wondering if the processing speed of my device will go down as I lose more memory to programs that I've installed or does Blackberry not work like that?

Any advice or information would be helpful, I've searched the forums and have not found any posts that really answer my question.

PS - I did read the BB FAQ section on freeing up memory on the device and cleared the cache, cleared my call logs, deleted the demo video, etc...

Thanks in advance for your responses!

BerryReview.com
Old 06-28-2007, 12:53 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

You are already down into the range where performance can be degraded and you can lose call logs and emails. Other things you can do is delete languages that you aren't using. I even deleted the help application. I have lots of 3rd party apps but still have 26mb free. Also, if you added all the vendor themes this can take a lot of memory too. Some of them are quite large (500-750kb.) Be sure to use an SD card for pics and then unallocate the memory for pictures under media.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
MsJosay

Thanks for the quick response. I did delete all of the langauges I'm not using. I don't have any of the other vendor themes (at least to my knowledge, from what I understand you have to actually do something to unlock all of the themes, I haven't done that). I only had one pic on the device which I already deleted. I'm a little unclear as to what you mean by "unallocate the memory for pictures under media"? I made sure to indicate to save picture to the media card when I first opened the camera application. It seems to me that my memory is extremely low with just the few programs I have on them, I know Yahoo!Go is fairly large (est. 1mb) but my memory was fairly low before I downloaded that.
Any other suggestions?

BerryReview.com
Old 06-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
MsJosay

Ok I found some ringtones I had accidentally saved in Device Memory, moved them to my media card which freed up some memory. Deleting some other stuff I got up to 18.6mbs, I followed John Clark's lead by deleting the "Help" application (I figure BB Forums is the best help application out there for any BB user ). I'm now at 22.2 yay!

Ok so for a final follow up question, what is the lowest amount of memory a BB Pearl can operate on without running the risk of losing data (ie e-mails, call logs, etc...)?

Again, thanks for your help and response in advance!

BerryReview.com
Old 06-28-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)

From what I have read problems can begin at 16. That's what I base my battery pulls on. I have never lost anything and really hope that I don't!

Hey MsJosay!! Another fellow Sacramentan!! You are the only other on I have met!

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 06-28-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
artemis104
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: NA
Carrier: NA

what would you say the minimum amount of memory you should have in order to avoid having problems is? 16mb? i have much more than that free but whats the lowest i should let it get before doing a batt. pull?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:19 PM   #7
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: ups! ;)

16 as previously posted. Some people have acutally zeroed theirs out. I usually run around 22. Just make sure that you close your application correctly. Menu+Close and you shouldn't run into issue very often. There is also a problem call SoftRest that you can get for a small donation which will allow you to re-boot your phone without a battery pull.

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 06-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
artemis104
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: NA
Carrier: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatzmister2u View Post
16 as previously posted. Some people have acutally zeroed theirs out. I usually run around 22. Just make sure that you close your application correctly. Menu+Close and you shouldn't run into issue very often. There is also a problem call SoftRest that you can get for a small donation which will allow you to re-boot your phone without a battery pull.

E-
yea i usually hover around 22-23 too. No problems so far and i hope to keep it that way
Old 06-28-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
EmeraldICE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

I'm running at 34 ever since removing that preinstalled video and lowering the amount of memory it saves for pictures, and I still have plenty of apps installed.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:16 PM   #10
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: 2159FC90

how do you check your memory?

Never mind...........how do you do the conversion?

Last edited by kurrupt_1; 06-28-2007 at 11:19 PM..
Old 06-29-2007, 01:24 AM   #11
onth
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: G PONG

here you go: Online bandwidth calculator, convert data in byte, MB, GB, KB to bytes, megabyte, kilobyte
Old 06-29-2007, 01:57 AM   #12
kurrupt_1
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 2159FC90

Nice......I'm at 21.482216MB
Old 07-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #13
ReggieKray

PIN: 20DFFBCC

New to this site. Hi

i am at 17.668MB

getting a 2.0GB memory card in the mail soon.
Question: Can i run themes from this thing? apps? or does it just store those extras and i take them in as i see fit?

let me know

thanks
Old 07-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #14
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

You can't install or run applications from the miniSD card. You can store media there--pictures, ringtones, stuff.
Closed Thread